• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Mr. Q

Status
Not open for further replies.

rurikbird

Part of the Furniture
Honorary Member

I think this was his best game so far - it’s impressive how seamlessly he is fitting in with the senior players. He has Matip-like calmness about him, doesn’t necessarily dazzle you, but neither can you find any significant flaws in his game. Not clear what his ceiling is yet, but he is already at worst a Premier League-level defender.

His most noticeable quality is probably ball progression - teammates instantly trust him to be the one who receives and passes the ball the most. Accuracy % can still get better, but he is trying the right kinds of ambitious passes - with enough practice and repetition this will become a bigger weapon. Physically, he is already bigger than Gomez and can hold his own against anyone, although his pace hasn’t been seriously tested yet. When faced one on one against a forward, he doesn’t make up the opponent’s mind for him and tackles only when necessary. I really liked that header near the end; showed good anticipation and bravery to head it over his own bar.

I think in a few months, if he keeps progressing, he can potentially leapfrog Gomez in the pecking order at CB just by virtue of being a bit more physically imposing and become our 4th choice CB, perhaps even 3rd. This is a fast rise and the most pleasant surprise.

Last edited:

I think this was his best game so far - it’s impressive how seamlessly he is fitting in with the senior players. He has Matip-like calmness about him, doesn’t necessarily dazzle you, but neither can you find any significant flaws in his game. Not clear what his ceiling is yet, but he is already at worst a Premier League-level defender.

His most noticeable quality is probably ball progression - teammates instantly trust him to be the one who receives and passes the ball the most. Accuracy % can still get better, but he is trying the right kinds of ambitious passes - with enough practice and repetition this will become a bigger weapon. Physically, he is already bigger than Gomez and can hold his own against anyone, although his pace hasn’t been seriously tested yet. When faced one on one against a forward, he doesn’t make up the opponent’s mind for him and tackles only when necessary. I really liked that header near the end; showed good anticipation and bravery to head it over his own bar.

I think in a few months, if he keeps progressing, he can potentially leapfrog Gomez in the pecking order at CB just by virtue of being a bit more physically imposing and become our 4th choice CB, perhaps even 3rd. This is a fast rise and the most pleasant surprise.

I wonder might he also play as a back up at FB, as so many CBs in waiting have done in the past for us? Might get him more minutes.

It's another test passed for sure. At the very least we've saved ourselves £40-50m for a decent CB that will count as home grown. His passing last night was great and he likely not face worse conditions for a CB. I agree that he will likely be ahead of Gomez for the LCB role by the end of the year.

If there was a night for a young defender to have a calamitous night, that was it. Horrendous conditions, and playing against PL opposition away, he just seems very unflappable. Dare I say it, he has something of a young Virgil about him.

He’s been such a highlight considering CB is one area we failed to strengthen. Maybe he’s why?

That Cruyff turn to get out of a tight spot btw, as he is emerging with the ball leaving the defender behind you can see a flicker of a smile. He looks like he loves what he's doing.

I’m sure Klopp would’ve taken him on the pre season tour anyway and he would’ve performed just as well as he did but that loan back end of last season must’ve really helped him. Getting a feel of what senior football is all about is essential for young players.

He's gonna be fucking unit as well when he gets older. Great talent and seems a good kid.

This guy is the real deal - it should have been obvious from the moment that game we had against Newcastle finished. His football brain and all-round ability with the ball at his feet, plus his pace, and physical build - I don't think we have seen someone who has been better prepared in his entire life to be the leader of that back-line. Awesome player, this kid is going to grow up to be for us what Fernando Hierro was for Real Madrid - except the "Q" is our own home made and home grown stuff.

I wonder might he also play as a back up at FB, as so many CBs in waiting have done in the past for us? Might get him more minutes.
He's a very good passer of the ball and powerful. He couldn't be worse than Tsimikas (esp. against the likes of City/Arse) and we don't really need Tsimikas' crosses because he hardly makes any nowadays (though maybe more until Diaz returns).

He’s saving us £60m+ in transfer fees while simultaneously breaking Bluebells heart.

It’s good - that’s quite a crop of youngsters we have coming through - Quansah, Badger, Harvey, Curtis, Gravy & Doak all getting playing time in a good well functioning team.

I’m hoping Bradley gets a chance soon too.

It's a fair point this, he's been there from the start of the season, we let Phillips leave and we didn't buy anyone, just goes to show we don't always know or appreciate what people are seeing behind the scenes.

One of the shows it was said that Klopp does not compromise on his back-line, and even though Phillips and that other young guy we had did really well in that Pandemic season he did not give them a look-in the team the season after or even this season, simply sent them out on loan despite their services. The fact that he is playing Q without any hesitation in these games and bringing on in PL games when needed suggests that he has full belief in this kid as a future regular for the back-line. We are blessed guys.

He showed showed yesterday moments of brilliance and sometimes sheer naivety. I have not banged on about the defence as much as the MF, though I would still welcome a CB considering Konate, Matip and Gomez all have the propensity to be side-lined for months. We might be able to get away with it till the summer, so I wouldn't be too upset if there was no reinforcements on the proviso we not hit with long term injuries during the Jan window.

He showed showed yesterday moments of brilliance and sometimes sheer naivety. I have not banged on about the defence as much as the MF, though I would still welcome a CB considering Konate, Matip and Gomez all have the propensity to be side-lined for months. We might be able to get away with it till the summer, so I wouldn't be too upset if there was no reinforcements on the proviso we not hit with long term injuries during the Jan window.

I think we need to sign someone for the defence this Jan, and also that Andre fella. This is to ease the burden on the defence, I still think they have to do too much and not getting sufficient cover from the DM position (whoever is playing there). Injuries are very likely to happen to the defence, we are using Joe as a backup RB, and based on previous history - if he is doing too much running then his hammy might go, as for Konate - agreed on him fully - anytime he goes to ground I shit myself, and as for Matip I expect him to be out for the rest of the season as soon as we make the bad choice of extending his contract.

I thought he had a dodgy game at times but wasn’t watching properly so happy to see I was wrong!

I thought he had a dodgy game at times but wasn’t watching properly so happy to see I was wrong!

I think the weather conditions proved extremely challenging for everyone, and he made a couple of errors, but generally I'd say he was very solid.

Backed himself to play his way out of trouble which led to a few heart in the mouth moments, but I can only remember one where he fucked up and the rest it was "Oh fair play - calm as you like!"

I think the weather conditions proved extremely challenging for everyone, and he made a couple of errors, but generally I'd say he was very solid.

Backed himself to play his way out of trouble which led to a few heart in the mouth moments, but I can only remember one where he fucked up and the rest it was "Oh fair play - calm as you like!"

Ok - guys we got a new quality we need to look for in a player like the way they do with military fighter jets. Can we say now that "Q" - is an ALL WEATHER CONDITION DEFENDER ?

*swoons*

So perhaps Jurgen knew better than us in the Summer when we were all clamoring for a new CB? Is that possible? ;)

Though we probably still need a new CB, don't we? Matip is made of glass (and also running out of contract), Konate is also pretty injury prone, and we can't be overplaying Virgil either. Gomez is increasingly a utility defender, but not the man we're building our future defence around. A quick scan of that equation means we still could do with back up. Quansah's emergence makes that slightly less of a complete panic than it was, but it's still a problem area waiting to happen.

I think we need a new top class young CB to compliment Konate, Virgil and Quansah. The question is if the emergence of Quansah expands our search from left sided CBs to someone that can also play RCB. Quansah seems very comfortable on the left side.

Regarding JoGo. He has been pretty impressive as a right back this season. Could we see him being the back up RB going forward?

Though we probably still need a new CB, don't we? Matip is made of glass (and also running out of contract), Konate is also pretty injury prone, and we can't be overplaying Virgil either. Gomez is increasingly a utility defender, but not the man we're building our future defence around. A quick scan of that equation means we still could do with back up. Quansah's emergence makes that slightly less of a complete panic than it was, but it's still a problem area waiting to happen.

Right, but considering the midfield rebuild which was a bit more pressing (forgive the pun), I think we can now see why they didn't do it in this window? They felt they could get by for one more perhaps. Not the thinking I prefer, but definitely FSG thinking.

he's really a bright spot. loving all these young lads coming through. Elliot, Jones, Quansah, Bajcetic,

I think we need a new top class young CB to compliment Konate, Virgil and Quansah. The question is if the emergence of Quansah expands our search from left sided CBs to someone that can also play RCB. Quansah seems very comfortable on the left side.

Regarding JoGo. He has been pretty impressive as a right back this season. Could we see him being the back up RB going forward?

It does look like RB will be where Gomez will get most minutes, but we also have lots of other options there - Bradley, Bajcetic, Jones can play there and maybe even Ramsey if he ever overcomes his injuries. LB depth is a lot more thin.

Any explanation on why Chambers wasn’t in the squad BTW?

It does look like RB will be where Gomez will get most minutes, but we also have lots of other options there - Bradley, Bajcetic, Jones can play there and maybe even Ramsey if he ever overcomes his injuries. LB depth is a lot more thin.

Any explanation on why Chambers wasn’t in the squad BTW?

Indeed. Shame we didnt move for Lewis Hall and I'm guessing Barco will sign for City.

Regarding Chambers it could be that he wasnt involved as he has just gotten back from a long injury lay off.

complement*

* I'm going easy on you as I know you're not a native speaker ;) Also the pronunciation is very slightly different.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom