• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

NFL Thread 2012

the good news is that the last two calls (i never saw the replay of the NE-Bal kick, i assume it was wide?) you mention will get the refs back soon enough ... it's already been talked about on ESPN.

and on queue - official refs are back for week 4 already.

If nobody minds i'll just ask it here as it doesn't warrant it's own thread .

Does anyone know how the College Football rankings work ? Some games you see teams with a ranking beside their names and others not . So how do you get a ranking and is it based on current form or determined before the season starts ? And what is the benefit of a ranking ?

Only the top 25 teams are ranked. In the top tier of college ball (Football Bowl Subdivision, what used to be 1A ball) there are something like 120 teams in 12 conferences, so obviously they can't all play each other. So - get this - they basically have a weekly straw poll. Well, several straw polls. After eight weeks the official BCS (Bowl Championship Series) rankings come out. This is a mixture of two of the biggest polls (The Harris poll, which polls over a hundred ex coaches and players, journalists etc, and the Coaches' Poll, which is about sixty coaches from the top tier, polled by USA Today) and a system of different algorithms that compare various stats and schedule strength etc. The whole thing is a bit of a mess.

At the end of the season there are bowl games (there are usually about 30-35 of them. A team has to have at least a .500 record to qualify for one, and many bowls have contractual tie-ups with specific conferences. There are four big bowl games (Fiesta, Orange, Sugar, Rose) and a national championship game that make up the BCS. At the moment the biggest conferences (Big Ten, SEC, Big 12, ACC, Pac 12, Big East) have automatic qualification to these games, and there are a couple of "at-large" places. This is where the polls come in - the number 1 and number 2 teams at the end of the regular season play go to the national title game. Then the other BCS Bowl places are filled in according to qualification criteria. If you're a team not in one of the big conferences, you can still qualify by having a high enough place in the rankings (you need to be in the top 14 to be eligible, and if you're top 6 you get an automatic place) you can get a BCS spot too. This goes for independents too (i.e. Army, Navy, Notre Dame, and now BYU).

The rankings that you see at the moment (we've only had four games, so the BCS rankings aren't compiled yet) are the AP Poll and the Coaches Poll, depending on where you see them. ESPN also have their own rankings, but only they give a shit about that.

So, that's all pretty complicated. And it's all set to change again. From 2014 there will be a playoff system to replace the national title game. They haven't published the exact details (and what they have released makes it look like a bigger stitch up than it already is), but basically the top four teams will be slotted into two of the big bowl games which will act as semi finals for a new National Title game. There will still be a rankings system, but the four semi finalists will be chosen by a "BCS Board", whatever the fuck that's supposed to be. Carnage will inevitable ensue.

Also, hi everyone.

That would be splendid. If I lived within a thousand miles of Chicago.

Cheers MC to the G . So a nice simple college ranking system then . What numpties came up with that .

Going to the US in 2 weeks and getting to go to the Cardinals-Bills game, woohoo!

The Cardinals are the show so far this year from what I can see, right?

Do you want me to re-set your password for your original name MC G ... and you can log on there?

Aye, that'd be cool. I tried doing that myself, but it never sent me an email. I think whatever email addy is linked to that account is wrong. Or I've forgotten it exists.

Seven, I think. They put fifteen names in the final ballot and you need to get something like 45 out of 55 yays from the committee to get in.

Cheers - I hate the way players can get in many years after being first nominated... Either you're good enough, or you're not.

How the blinkin' flip did Chris Carter and Tim Brown NOT get in last year? I would assume it was the quota that you mention, but if so, that's assinine.

God, I love Tony Romo.

Alright, so like I've said before - I'm still relatively green with all this - so can somebody please tell me why this shitcunt is still their starting QB? Didn't they and everyone know he was a chump about 5 years ago?

Please someone explain this to me. It's fucking baffling.

Check out his stats last year - he's still a very good QB, but like everyone, he's prone to very poor games. Last year, he throw 5 against Detroit I think and after that, had amongst the best QB rating out there. Two of those picks were on WRs, and he has 0 running game because our OL is playing so fucking poorly.

He'll be fine if the OL plays up to a reasonable level. I doubt the Cowboys will reach the playoffs, but thankfully, we're in a shit division (!!!) and that always leaves a chance.

Cheers mate, I guess I was under the impression he was shitter than that. Least everytime I've seen him he's been a human toilet.

Watching a replay of the Bears game right now hence the original question.

First time in his career he's had 3 games below 80.0 rating too ... A lot is going wrong now with the offense - Garrett (which we've known from day 1) is a poor game caller, the OL cannot block - so no running game and Romo is forced to carry the whole team. When Romo is like this, he normally struggles ... He's trying to do far too much, but I feel he almost has to. That being said, he missed two bloody gimmes for TDs yesterday to Bryant and Austin ... Our next few games are impossible too (Baltimore, Eagles, Giants etc) ... We're fucked! :)

What the idiots down here don't understand - which amazes me, 'cos this is Dallas and the eat, drink and sleep football, allegedly - is that only 2 of those 5 turnovers were Romo's fault, and even that last one was when he was trying to do everything, right now, 'cos they were very behind, very late on. The first, second and fourth were due to the WR not knowing / doing what they should have... And behind that offensive line, Joe Montana would look awful half the time.

The shit Tony Romo takes here is amazing. He's not Aikman or Stauback, but nobody is... Dallas fans should wish that TR was their biggest problem. If he was, yiz would be real SB contenders. He is a very, very good QB - top 10 in the league - but there's just not enough talent around him and he gets the blame all too often.

Casey Pachall might just have fucked TCU's first Big 12 campaign. Got arrested on a DWI and Patterson has sat down indefinitely. Redshirt freshman to take off.

Oh yeah, he's been up to his balls in trouble for a whole. They let him off failing an off-season drug test a while back. I'm not sure he'll be allowed back from this. Shame, as they'd started alright and I was looking forward to their marquee fixtures. Treyvone Boykin has looked promising when he's come in, but it's only been a few tosses late in safe games. He's genuine dual threat but he's going in at the deep end here.

All Hail ....

137566294_crop_650x440.jpg

I've decided I'm completely okay with the Bears going 1-15 next season if we get to pick Jadeveon Clowney at number one in 2014. Dude is a mountain of ridiculousness.

Raiders will have the first pick next season, mate.

Which means that they'll select the 87th player on everybody's draft board. As usual.

Back
Top Bottom