• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

NFL Thread 2013-2014

Karl Hungus

Making America Great Again.
College football started this week, and the NFL kicks off next Thursday. Texas A&M plays Rice in a few hours, with Johnny Football suspended for the entire 1st half by the toothless NCAA.

Gonna be a great season.

Look forward to it, espn have the college stuff, not sure who's git what coverage this year for nfl.

College is usually ok from what I've seen

Manziel got himself an unsporting foul when he did come on. Kid has brains to go with his feet then...

Laboured win by Bama, although Christion Jones had himself a night. Punt return, kick return, 38 yard TD reception. New O line was having its issues.

Manziel got himself an unsporting foul when he did come on. Kid has brains to go with his feet then...

Laboured win by Bama, although Christion Jones had himself a night. Punt return, kick return, 38 yard TD reception. New O line was having its issues.

Are you going to join the fantasy league, the draft is tomorrow, last I checked we still need people.

deja vu for flynn ...

[article=http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9629150/terrelle-pryor-named-oakland-raiders-starting-quarterback-according-reports]For Terrelle Pryor, it's the culmination of a bumpy road. For Matt Flynn, it's deja vu all over again.

The Oakland Raiders have named Pryor the team's Week 1 starting quarterback, according to multiple reports.

Pryor, the Raiders' third-round pick in the 2011 supplemental draft, took the first snap with the first-team offense during a drill in the portion of practice open to the media on Monday.

Oakland coach Dennis Allen said Monday afternoon that he would refrain from announcing a starter for "competitive" reasons.

The offense produced 32 points on 14 drives with Pryor at quarterback, compared to 10 points on 13 drives this preseason for Flynn. Flynn played mostly with and against starters, while Pryor was in mostly with second-team players.

Flynn, a six-year veteran, will serve as the team's backup, according to reports, a position he's familiar with.

Flynn has started exactly one game since the start of the 2011 season, a 31-of-44 performance in which he threw for 480 yards and six touchdowns and one interception while starting for the Green Bay Packers in place of Aaron Rodgers. On the strength of that game, Flynn earned a contract from the Seattle Seahawks prior to last season, before losing out on the starting job in the preseason to then-rookie Russell Wilson.

The emergence of Wilson made Flynn expendable and the Seahawks dealt him to Oakland where again, he was presumed to be the team's Week 1 starter -- at least until Monday night.[/article]

Never understood the Flynn hype. One swallow doesn't make a summer. Plus, in memory of old Al, I wouldn't expect anything less from the Raiders but Pryor starting. Can see them chopping and changing through the season though. Their O-line is a travesty without Valdheer. Menelik Watson at LT? Uh huh. They'll need Pryor's legs to avoid some kind of sack record. Flynn spent more time on his arse than on his feet pre-season. Also, lols at McGloin taking the third spot away from Wilson. Gotta love that kid. Walk-on to starter at PSU, then undrafted but takes away a roster place from a fourth round pick at Oakland. Maybe we should be expecting him to be starting by November.

Manuel looks a great QB in the making.
Patriots lucky to run away with the win after that game.
Bills will improve as the seasons continues.

Check out Manuel's replacement at FSU, Jameis Winston. Had just about the most ridiculous debut I've ever seen.

Terrelle Pryor - big, black, fast, promising start, still lost. So the perfect Al Davis player, in other words. Wherever he is, he'd be happy with that.

what can I say ... just like last year ... start off with a bang, and a major let down.

The refs made some terrible calls on both teams (Dez's 'pass interference,' Berry's 'pass interference' & Claiborne's 'pass interference') ... but that being said, the Cowboys gave the win to the Chiefs. Terrible play calling in the second half - 1 on 1 with Dez Bryant near the endzone? That's right, throw to Miles Austin in the flat. Great throw by Romo to Dez Bryant? Drop near the 50 ... 5 downs at the 30? Nothing but short throws the flat? AND WHAT THE FUCK was that last call? What the? The team is good enough to win most games, but there's just something wrong (& I don't even think it's Jerry currently) - 8-8 on the cards ...

I think the best way to sum up the Cowboys is from the top down, they are just not a very smart football team. The very last play of the game is a prime example, 26 seconds left, no timeouts deep in your own territory, sure it would have taken a miracle to win the game, but Romo throws a 7 yard pass right to the middle of the field, and the receiver made no attempt to lateral it or get out of bounds. It's like the team had no awareness of the situation thy were in, this one play sums the team up.

I think Jerry would be upset to discover that if there is a problem it isn't him. He's an organisations-reflect-their-owners sort of guy. Like the way dogs look like their owners.

If he's not careful, Cutler might get himself a reputation that he can be relied on in clutch situations. That's two last gasp game winning drives he's put together now, after the red zone calamities of recent seasons. Shame we're not really defending like Bears at the moment, and are making a habit of making mistakes and conceding silly sixes (105 yard returns, Cutler fumbles run to the house, and 4 turnovers is unacceptable) but 2-0 is not nothing. Cutler certainly has the array of weapons he has wanted - Marshall, Jeffery, Forte, Bennett. Good to see Hester concentrating solely on special teams again. He is the greatest kick returner in the history of the game, and now we've erased his wide receiver ambitions he can back to being ridiculous as fuck. A few yards shy of 250 yesterday. Just on returns. You can't fucking buy that sort of penetration. It would be nice of someone woke Peppers up, mind. Why is Christian Ponder almost winning games against us?

Probably get gunished in Pittsburgh next week, but at least they're on a shortish week.

Well, I'm not excited. Like I said, we basically won two games we could have lost and we're playing really sloppy football. But those game-winning drives are things that have been missing from our game even when we've looked good in recent years.

Two years ago we started poorly. We were 1-2 and 2-3 early on before we put a five win streak on. Then Cutler broke his thumb and we were done. Last season we looked good until Cutler got concussed. Then we floundered the rest of the season, even when he came back, and we had injuries to Forte and Tillman and the whole thing was a disaster.

We don't really have a plan B, or a deep enough squad to deal with injuries to big time players. New coach's first year, I don't really expect much. Don't fancy our sked much either. I'd be more than happy with second place in the division, outside wildcard slot, but I'm not banking on it. We'll improve defensively, and I think Cutler will have a nice year if he keeps injury free. I expect Hester to be like old this season, just setting off nukes on the return.

December 9th. Soldier Field. Bears-Boys.

what a trade by the Colts ... Trent Richardson (last year's 4th) for a first round pick ... Andrew Luck now has a monster RB ...

Love Trent at Bama, but there are fitness issues. He was running through walls at Tuscaloosa so has miles on the clock for a young model. He was good rookie season, especially coming off two knee ops and no pre-season, but he wasn't stellar. I think the Browns will be happy. Everyone has RBs, so there will be some decent ones falling to rounds three and four next year. And they're looking to sign Willis McGahee as a FA. Which begs the question why didn't Indy try that for a season and look to the draft next year. Now Cleveland have tons of draft picks, a first rounder to trade if they want to love up for a QB (The Teddy Ballgame vs Johnny Football headlines are already boring and they only exist in my head), and will have RB options aplenty. Shit, no RB went first round last year. Ball, Bernard, Lacy, Michael, Bell, all went round two. Next year you could see the likes of Seastrunk, Sankey, Sims, Carey, Wilder, all go rounds 2-4. There is way more value there than in Richardson as a first round trade for me.

I suppose Indy think he will be what puts them over the top immediately if he stays fit. Maybe both teams will make out. I certainly think the Browns will be happy though.

I also do wonder if there's something that the Browns know that we don't (Torres to Chelsea rings a bell)

What an odd start to the NFL season ...

Giants? 0-3 ... They're a streaky team, so they're as likely to pull off 7-10 wins in a row, and unless they do, I think Coughlin goes.
Steelers? 0-3 ... Full re-building mode?

Browns? Dump their RB and push the Vikings to 0-3 (they really need a better QB).

Dolphins? 3-0
Pats? 3-0 but are lucky not to be 1-2

Jets? 2-1 with Geno!

Redskins with the messiah III? 0-3 and Shanahan may not last much longer.

Seahawks? 3-0 and seem to be the best team in the NFL.

RG3 just doesn't look fit.

There was an excellent article about him on Espn.com how he took no criticism last year and it's kinda showing - he risked himself and his team unnecessarily in the playoff loss, spent the whole offseason hyping up his recovery and 'telling' Shanahan he'll be starting Week 1 etc ... Someone needs to get the boy grounded ...

He's not sturdy enough to play the way Michael Vick does. Hell, Vick was barely able to do it. This kid's going to wreck himself.

There is going to be a desperate scramble for Bridgewater next year. Whoever ends up with first pick (Jacksonville) is unlikely to trade unless it's a monster deal though. Or they think Manziel will do.

Peppers woke up.

Manziel is an intriguing prospect ... My gut says he can be something special in the NFL ... you don't have to be a 'great' QB to win in the NFL ...

Absolutely shit start to the football season for me. All three teams I support - Mountaineers, Longhorns, and Steelers have had bad starts :(

Very little talk about the Saints who look inspired with Payton back at the helm.
Brees looks to be back in beast mode.
Think it will be Seahawks-Saints for the NFC Championship game with maybe the Bengals as dark horses.
Seattle look like Superbowl winners at this stage especially if they get home field for the playoffs.

Back
Top Bottom