• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • Repeating an offer I made a while ago. If anyone wants me to change their username then just DM me (@Dee)

NFL Thread 2013-2014

The whole entire world is a vagina. Especially Wisconsin.

And now we have to pay Cutler because we need to be rebuilding our drunk defence and can't be worrying about a new shot caller at the same time.

Tbh mate, I'd have compassion for you but my team still has a GM called Jerry Jones ... so I don't have the ability to feel sorry for anyone else but my team.

Who'd have thought we'd see an air-it-out gung-ho Bears with a sieve for a defence? Can we clone Urlacher? Some type stem cell shenanigans? We need a new everyone on that side of the ball. That fumble play was the most embarrassing shit I've seen in my life. And blown coverage is just standard. It's where we eat our dinner.

There isn't anyone I don't hate right now.

Just saw the Cowboys game. I really thought Orton could get them into field goal range at the end.
Shame he fucked it up on the first pass. Other than that he had a good game, which of course means fuck all.

Would have been interesting to see what Romo could have done on a day were the defence wasnt shite.
Ah well, he would probably have fucked up aswell.

Hope the Seahawks win it now.

I'd be less worried about his height and more worried about his tendency to throw the ball into mad coverage. But he knew he had to force things at A&M because their defence was non-existent, and he made strides between his two seasons. Generally, he is really accurate, has great feet, and his ability to throw off the wrong side is impressive. He'll have to tone it down in the league as he'll be punished for the slightest mistake (both on and off the pitch). I dunno. He's a risk, but the protection the QBs get now, it's not like he's entering the pros ten years ago when he'd get killed. The height isn't as much of an issue anymore. Ask Russell Wilson.

If a team wants a more typically 'pro-ready' QB, then Bridgewater and Bortles will will be the first names off the board. I don't know whether Hundley is going pro. I sort of hope he stays at UCLA another year, although maybe he'll look at Matt Barkley and get the fuck out while his stock is pretty high.

The scenario I like the most is Browns having sacked Chudzinski because they want to draft Manziel at he wasn't keen.

This would be the most Cleve-ish Cleveland move in Clevedonia. I already love it. They have two first round picks too, so they can get themselves another receiver too. Kelvin Benjamin, anyone? Big, fast bastard. It'd be like Mike Evans all over again. But quicker.

Yeah, I reckon Houston will take a QB. With Johnson and Hopkins? They need someone feeding them. Case Keenum is obviously a romantic choice, but he's no kind of solution. Teddy Bridgewater has Sunday football written all over him. There are a few teams near the top who need a signal caller, so I think we'll see a run. Be interesting to see if St Louis trade down or give Bradford a weapon. They have two first round picks, so I'd be tempted to take someone like Sammy Watkins if I were them.

Jacksonville, Cleveland, and the Raiders all need QBs, so Bortles and Manziel should deffo go top four. Raiders might be left with a decision if Hundley doesn't declare (or even if he does - I think he needs another year as he isn't the quickest at reading or checking down). Derek Carr might end up going higher than expected. Hell, even if Hundley goes to Oakland, Carr might end up somewhere like Minnesota. I think there's a fair chance of a very QB heavy top ten.

So Tampa is looking good for Clowney as I think Atlanta will be looking at Matthews out of A&M as an obvious starter for them, although Clowney would obviously walk right into their team too, so...

I'd say Clowney is the best pure prospect in the draft, but like the Bradford/Suh decision, if you're starting over you start with a QB, not a DE or DT. And given the success a lot of hot 1A QBs have had in recent years, teams won't be hesitant about taking them.

Actually, I wonder if St Louis couldn't trade AND get Watkins. Tampa might be lured into trading up to ensure they get Clowney. I don't think it makes any sense, because Anthony Barr will be available and he looks fucking sick, but teams will lose their minds over Clowney because he's a monster. Of course, St Louis might want Barr too. They could trade down and still get him as they'd only be falling five places. Watkins and Barr will still be there at seven. More I think about it, more I think St Louis will be open for a trade, especially with the thirteen pick too. Some solid defensive players, who would be top ten if it wasn't for the QB rush, will slip to the teens. People like Ealy and Mosley. Someone's going to be happy. Hopefully Chicago will be happy.

Khalil Mack and Kony Ealy will probably be gone, but you need inside men more anyway. although, if it is a DE then Benardrick McKinney is worth a punt. Louis Nix will be in the conversation for sure, as will fellow Irish Stephon Tuitt (though not in the 1st probably).

Probably need a secondary upgrade too. If Haha Clinton-Dix is still there in the second, take him.

Yeah, I reckon Houston will take a QB. With Johnson and Hopkins? They need someone feeding them. Case Keenum is obviously a romantic choice, but he's no kind of solution. Teddy Bridgewater has Sunday football written all over him. There are a few teams near the top who need a signal caller, so I think we'll see a run. Be interesting to see if St Louis trade down or give Bradford a weapon. They have two first round picks, so I'd be tempted to take someone like Sammy Watkins if I were them.

Jacksonville, Cleveland, and the Raiders all need QBs, so Bortles and Manziel should deffo go top four. Raiders might be left with a decision if Hundley doesn't declare (or even if he does - I think he needs another year as he isn't the quickest at reading or checking down). Derek Carr might end up going higher than expected. Hell, even if Hundley goes to Oakland, Carr might end up somewhere like Minnesota. I think there's a fair chance of a very QB heavy top ten.

So Tampa is looking good for Clowney as I think Atlanta will be looking at Matthews out of A&M as an obvious starter for them, although Clowney would obviously walk right into their team too, so...

I'd say Clowney is the best pure prospect in the draft, but like the Bradford/Suh decision, if you're starting over you start with a QB, not a DE or DT. And given the success a lot of hot 1A QBs have had in recent years, teams won't be hesitant about taking them.

Nah the Raiders will take Clowney.

7 year deal for Cutler.

We need a lol icon on here that I can just click repeatedly.

I'd be less worried about his height and more worried about his tendency to throw the ball into mad coverage. But he knew he had to force things at A&M because their defence was non-existent, and he made strides between his two seasons. Generally, he is really accurate, has great feet, and his ability to throw off the wrong side is impressive. He'll have to tone it down in the league as he'll be punished for the slightest mistake (both on and off the pitch). I dunno. He's a risk, but the protection the QBs get now, it's not like he's entering the pros ten years ago when he'd get killed. The height isn't as much of an issue anymore. Ask Russell Wilson.

If a team wants a more typically 'pro-ready' QB, then Bridgewater and Bortles will will be the first names off the board. I don't know whether Hundley is going pro. I sort of hope he stays at UCLA another year, although maybe he'll look at Matt Barkley and get the fuck out while his stock is pretty high.

Spot on for me, height barely matters. I think the most overlooked thing in Manziel is that he's arguably the best pure passer in college at the moment, he has very impressive arm strength and accuracy both in the pocket and while scrambling.

The main concern is his tendency to try and fit the ball into tiny windows, but more often I would say that's due to confidence more than naivete. He's pulled off so many incredible plays and hit tiny targets that the chance is often worth taking. Most of his turnovers have been either into the end zone, or while deep into opposition territory, so I would say he understands risk and reward with those types of passes to some extent, he's not really costing field position after all, and needs to take some risks given how poor our defence has been.

I'm looking at this season's draft class, which is highly touted, and I think Manziel should be the 2nd QB off the board, after Bridgewater. I haven't seen a ton of Bridgewater, but I don't think he's as much of a surefire success as people make him out to be. I feel a bit that his ceiling is capped, but his high floor could be very attractive to some teams that desperately need production.

Bortles didn't look all that special against an average Baylor defence, but I can see him climbing up the boards(a bit like Weeden a few years back), but amounting in very little. He should go to the NFL and ride his draft stock though, should give a healthy payday. I wouldn't be surprised to see a team draft a top QB and McCarron though, a bit like the Redskins did with RGIII and Cousins, but it's a matter of how much interest there is. I mean, Christian Ponder was a high pick a few years back...

Hundley though seems like a poor man's Manziel, he was very inaccurate in his bowl game. People seem to be really sold on his athleticism and potential, but that seems a bit flawed looking for a QB. Historically we've seen that a quarterback who's athletic is a huge asset, but an athlete playing QB can be a liability. For this reason, I think Derek Carr would be a better pick.

One note about Jake Matthews is that while he's considered the top lineman available in this year's draft, I'm not convinced he'll pan out well. Last season our line was incredible, but this season it's been very average, and there's been too many times Matthews has struggled. Lots of memorable false starts, and holding penalties. Nowhere near as well as Joeckel did last season.

MC to the G , i don't want much college football but when i do it always seems a bit messy with a fair few mistakes .What sort of standard is it compared to the NFL?. I mean if the NFL is the Prem league, what standard is College football ? Championship , Div 1 ?

It's hard to compare it like that. All of the NFL players come through the collegiate system, but hundreds who play college ball don't go pro. So it's a a larger, more diluted pool of players. Imagine all of the Premier League players spread over 150 teams and the numbers in those teams made up by Championship and League One players - you still have outstanding individuals, but the teams are not as strong. In the NFL you have 32 teams with a maximum of 53 players. In FBS football you have 124 programmes who can have up to 85 scholarship players and 105 players in total.

The other big difference is in the time the players are allowed to spent with the coaching staff - there are strict limits in college, where as you can spend 24 hours a day with a coach in the pros if you want. It tends to result in schemes being simpler and less sophisticated (although, recently pro teams have been taking cues from the way college coaches direct sideline playcalling - especially Chip Kelly's methods from when he was in Oregon). It's impossible to get a college team to be as good as a pro side on the time they have available. Plus, these kids are at college. There are beer and blowjob concerns that take precedence. Oh, and midterms if you go to Stanford.

The NFL is definitely a tighter affair, reflecting the fact only the cream of the players go pro. Personally, I spend more time watching the college game. I like the looseness, I like the constant flux of players and how programmes are built. I like the tradition and the fucking mutant stadiums (the top crowds in college are bigger than the pros). Offensively the game tends to be crazier in the colleges, because coverage isn't anywhere near as good and secondaries can be fucking torched. You get a lot more trick plays and just generally freaky happenings - like Auburns "kick six" against Alabama.

Charlie Strong to Texas.

Definitely feels like they didn't get their first few choices, but Strong is an excellent fundamental coach. It just remains to be seen if he can deal with the media circus that is UT, and take advantage of his resources there. If they're patient with him though, this seems like a safe move.

Good coach, excellent recruiter. Smart move if the political landscape is manageable at UT. Good timing for Strong too, with Louisville set to move into the ACC anyway. Not sure about the timing for Louisville though. Don't need to be losing a coach, a Sunday quarterback, and moving to a harder conference all at the same time. I guess Will Gardner will be hoping to step up to starter. Devante Parker is staying for another year I think, so he'll have some weapons.

Back
Top Bottom