• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

On the bright side...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Without European football, we can get away with a smaller squad. So this summer we can sell some squad players without the need to replace them and just concentrate on getting quality for the first team.

we need to sell moreno and mignolet otherwise we're screwed....hector and karius in.

skrtel lucas allen out, zielinski grujic matip in.

Put some money on us to win the league next year with no European football.

That's pretty much it.

Well I see it as an upside.

If we had won tonight we'd be back in panic mode thinking about all the additions we'd need to compete in the CL.

Now we have a season without huge fixture congestion, so we can whittle the squad down a bit to find a core we're happy with. We don't need a large of number of additions to fill out a squad. Klopp will have the opportunity to pick a settled side most weeks and develop the team.

We can give Origi and Can the opportunity to show us they're capable of being week in week out Premier League performers. We can give Grujic and any other players we sign the opportunity to integrate and play in games that might otherwise be taken by expensive signings.

Our biggest problem is going to shifting some of the players. We have the money and the manager to attract the right players.

So overall , not bothered. Under Rodgers the CL was a step forward that led to two steps back because it accelerated our plan and we toom short cuts. I'd have feared the same had we won tonight.

If we had won tonight we'd be back in panic mode thinking about all the additions we'd need to compete in the CL.

Now we have a season without huge fixture congestion, so we can whittle the squad down a bit to find a core we're happy with. We don't need a large of number of additions to fill out a squad. Klopp will have the opportunity to pick a settled side most weeks and develop the team.

We can give Origi and Can the opportunity to show us they're capable of being week in week out Premier League performers. We can give Grujic and any other players we sign the opportunity to integrate and play in games that might otherwise be taken by expensive signings.

Our biggest problem is going to shifting some of the players. We have the money and the manager to attract the right players.

So overall , not bothered. Under Rodgers the CL was a step forward that led to two steps back because it accelerated our plan and we toom short cuts. I'd have feared the same had we won tonight.

Never really thought about it like that. Better to build towards consistent achievement than getting out of your depth.

This is basically what I just said to my mate.

This next season gives us a platform for genuine growth without having to force anything. The extra rest time players get really helps, older players (Milner for example) benefit from the rest, & younger players (like Origi/Ibe/Firmino now, & Sterling under Rodgers when we were Europe free) don't get run into the ground when they hit a spot of form.

Smaller squad & extra training time just add to the pluses.

I've made no secret of the fact I hate the Europa League, I honestly think it decimates a clubs league season even more so than playing in the champions league.

So yeah, I'm fucking pissed off about tonight, but I think long term that this silver lining could be massive.

Good post and probably will be good for Liverpool in the long term.

But we lost (another) final and a chance of a trophy and that hurts.

Weve become complete cunts. We're so desperate to do something big that we are developing a habit of premature ejaculation. We emotionally peak before weve actually won anything these days.

uhhh no, i will stick 50 quid on us finishing 6th though....and another 50 on 7th and just so I can say i won something, stick another on us finishing 8th,

fuck off with your bright sides and let us grieve in pain how we wish to grieve in pain.
You are welcome to grieve in any way you like. Don't expect the Internet to suit your needs.

Can't fully agree. Tonight was a back door into CL. I think being there could haved skiped us a few rungs on the European ladder.

Can't fully agree. Tonight was a back door into CL. I think being there could haved skiped us a few rungs on the European ladder.

The money of the CL, the increased ability to sell the club.... I can see what Ross means but we coulda done that with CL as well as long as we regarded it as a free pass.

I'd take the CL and another European trophy with the panic any day thanks.

We'll have a long wait between games next season now.

I don't think anyone's saying that they wouldn't have taken the cup & cl qualification in a heartbeat.

However it's gone now. There's fuck all anyone can do about it, so let's look at it rationally. When you do you discover that it's not all negative, there are some advantages to not being in Europe to go with the obvious disadvantages.

I detest the Europa league so I'm delighted we aren't in the fucking thing.

The only downside is we have less games to watch.

When Rodgers didn't have any other distractions he came very very close the league. He had the time to train the players and build the rapport and understanding they needed, I'm sure Klopp will be able to deliver just as well and likely better. We will have the time to rest, recover and listen to and take note of the instructions given.

Klopp has made the right noises about being here for a long time, about not having spoken to players who only want CL so to an extent we have to trust him.
Re emotionally peaking, this is something we did in that season also, after beating Man City at home and the 'we go again' it snowballed and just got a bit too much.

I guess, but even that has its downside, namely that racist, wife-stealing oaf Pardew winning the thing instead.

I would have preferred a cup win.

I just think there's a massive upside to losing it which is of benefit to the longer term.

Haha.... sorry. I don't remember posting that. Was really drunk yesterday. Wonder what else I need to apologize for today....

The money of the CL, the increased ability to sell the club.... I can see what Ross means but we coulda done that with CL as well as long as we regarded it as a free pass.

Except it is difficult for us as a club to treat it as a free pass. Rodgers did that. We were not ready for the CL. We walked into the CL group stages waving a white flag and the fans couldn't accept it. Rodgers lost a lot of fans the two Madrid games.

Does anyone buy this 'it won't affect our targets' narrative?

For me, there's some top players we might have had a chance with that'll now go elsewhere.

Agree as far as this summer's window is concerned, but I also agree with others that there are potential benefits for us in the situation as it now stands which, if we capitalise on them, could help us this time next year.

Does anyone buy this 'it won't affect our targets' narrative?

For me, there's some top players we might have had a chance with that'll now go elsewhere.

Of course it will. It's a huge draw for many players and it helped us compete with clubs in more desirable locations. The money would have boosted our budget considerably, too. That said, it depends on our targets. Judging by our Grujic/Karius our targets are far from the 'Super-Star bracket'.

Gotze may well have better options now. Hopefully the Klopp factor's enough of a draw, but it's hard to sell a club that finished eighth in the league, because it's shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom