• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Our attack

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think gakpos signing had nothing to do with Nunez and everything to do with the fact that we had no one to play a false 9 with jota and firmino not playing consistently due to injury. Then, the mancs showed interest, and we figured we had him on the list and shouldn't wait.

Lastly, he was flexible and offered solutions to three problems. One of those problems is "our midfield is shit". I really hope that our strikers have less to do in that department. Until they do, even if they were as good as our former front three, they'll never hit those heights.

If Nunez had hit the ground running, do you think we would have bought Gakpo?

I think it's only because we lost Diaz and Jota and with Nunez also struggling meant we went in for Gakpo to solve the problems you mentioned

I think it's only because we lost Diaz and Jota and with Nunez also struggling meant we went in for Gakpo to solve the problems you mentioned

It depends - Gakpo normally played on the right didn’t he, and started there in at least his first game - then Nunez got a slight injury, and by the time he came back, Gakpo had started to look “better” in the centre.

I don’t know how planned it was, in a Bobby replacement sense - we still were looking to re-sign him until Bobby made it clear he wanted to depart gracefully.

We’d certainly tried Nunez on the left and Bobby in the centre, we would have known in December that Diaz was out for longer than expected and we were even playing Ox in the forward line.

It feels like Klopp didn’t trust that Nunez could cover either LW or CF positions while still trying to integrate - although Gakpo’s integration does feel like a welcome surprise - at least his value will have increased.

It depends - Gakpo normally played on the right didn’t he, and started there in at least his first game - then Nunez got a slight injury, and by the time he came back, Gakpo had started to look “better” in the centre.

I don’t know how planned it was, in a Bobby replacement sense - we still were looking to re-sign him until Bobby made it clear he wanted to depart gracefully.

We’d certainly tried Nunez on the left and Bobby in the centre, we would have known in December that Diaz was out for longer than expected and we were even playing Ox in the forward line.

It feels like Klopp didn’t trust that Nunez could cover either LW or CF positions while still trying to integrate - although Gakpo’s integration does feel like a welcome surprise - at least his value will have increased.

Gakpo was on the left, cutting in. Think Babel.

Wtf. Signing Gakpo had nothing to do with Nunez

We lost Sadio Taki and Origi all who operated there. Diaz and Jota were long term injuries. That’s it.

I don’t see enough to be enough in Diaz’s play to be as potent as Mane. Mane was capable of hitting 20 goals and 10 assists ever season while Diaz being very talented holds on the ball too long.
If i had to sacrifice a striker to aid a squad build, it would be Diaz unfortunately.

I see what you’re saying but I don’t agree, yet. When Diaz first arrived he was great (and that was earlier than planned as well), and he actually started this season reasonably well too. There was always likely to be some work needed with him (as you say, holding the ball too long, as well as finishing) but he hasn’t really had the time to do it. He was out injured for a long time.

I think he is worth sticking with.

The majority of the problems that Gakpo solved were defensive/midfield. His introduction improves the whole team, but it was really his pressing that saw him in there.

I don't think Nunez was so poor, but even if he had finished more and was adjudged to have had a good season, he's not going to be a pressing machine. On the contrary, I think if everything Nunez was touching was turning into goals, he'd be less likely to work.In that universe I don't even think we have a different point total. Salah would have less goals, and we'd be getting scored on for fun too.

Wtf. Signing Gakpo had nothing to do with Nunez

We lost Sadio Taki and Origi all who operated there. Diaz and Jota were long term injuries. That’s it.

Diaz was likely signed as we knew Mane was leaving.

Carvalho was likely a replacement for Taki

As things stand - an expensive Origi replacement just about sums up Nunez first season.

I’m sure Jota & Diaz injuries played a part - but there’s a reason Nunez is sitting on the bench the minute Jota & Diaz got anyway near fit.

The majority of the problems that Gakpo solved were defensive/midfield. His introduction improves the whole team, but it was really his pressing that saw him in there.

I don't think Nunez was so poor, but even if he had finished more and was adjudged to have had a good season, he's not going to be a pressing machine. On the contrary, I think if everything Nunez was touching was turning into goals, he'd be less likely to work.In that universe I don't even think we have a different point total. Salah would have less goals, and we'd be getting scored on for fun too.

I agree that Nunez wasn't so poor but if he was a wild success and we didn't have those injuries to Jota or Diaz, I would like to think we would have bought a midfielder in January. Then maybe in that universe we would have finished top 4...

There seems to be this false perception floating about amongst fans, if players are signed over our "usual price range", they have to be ballon d'or winners every season for as long as they're our players otherwise they automatically go down as flops.

Nunez has the capability of doing something our other attackers can't really do. He's more of a threat in behind than any of them now. That's useful on the counter. I can't recall many games where Nunez enjoyed as much space as Diaz had up to villa's goal, and had a less threatening display. Teams that want to compress the midfield with a high line against us won't be able to do that, especially if we have a more technical midfield that can spring a counter.

In addition, while Firmino has been shit hot this year in terms of finishing, one would hope Nunez has a ceiling of finishing better than his should we want to move to having 4 or 5 attackers against a very deep low block.

These are two things I think that Nunez is better adapted for than the rest of our team, and they happened in one game and many many others in memory. He was useful while bedding in on the counter. I'm not so alarmed at all. There's something there.

Re Nunez & Gakpo, I've always thought that it takes a season to adjust to the EPL

Yes & no......a season to adjust is usually the stereotypical time frame you allow a player to adjust (if needs be)....but some players don't really get that and are sold after a season despite barely playing a game.

But also plenty of examples where players have been signed all over the Prem and slotted in straight away....it really depends on the player & his qualities.

For me both Nunez and Gakpo have been hits....if you had to rate their seasons out of 10, both would get 8's.

Yes & no......a season to adjust is usually the stereotypical time frame you allow a player to adjust (if needs be)....but some players don't really get that and are sold after a season despite barely playing a game.

But also plenty of examples where players have been signed all over the Prem and slotted in straight away....it really depends on the player & his qualities.

For me both Nunez and Gakpo have been hits....if you had to rate their seasons out of 10, both would get 8's.

Nunez… an 8 for last season????

You’re off your rocker - that’s as bad as your film ratings.

He’d be a 6 at best - Gakpo I’d give a promising 7 to.

Alisson is the only player of deserving of an 8 or higher.

I'm starting to realize we'd be screwed if we had to rely on Nunez. He'll never have the game intelligence. We've got too many plodders at this point. Hopefully his second season will see a bi difference. Take Salah out now and we would be royally screwed

Question: Did Salah, Mane, Bobby, Suarez, Torres, Robbie, Owen or any other striker of note for us ever need a second season to shine?

Last edited:
Nunez will have a very strong 2nd season. That has been his pattern in every club he has been at. 15 goals this season isnt bad all things considering, and the target a few set for him before the season started.
6/10 sounds about right.

Nunez… an 8 for last season????

You’re off your rocker - that’s as bad as your film ratings.

He’d be a 6 at best - Gakpo I’d give a promising 7 to.

Alisson is the only player of deserving of an 8 or higher.

I actually need to get back on my film ratings, Can't remember the last 1 I did!!!!

& Yes Nunez the absolute GOAT striker, top 5 in the world gets an 8.....not just for the season, as a signing so including potential, if he scored all the big chances he missed he'd be on 25-30 goals and suddenly everyone would be sucking his dick....very fine lines.

Ali..... as a signing has been a 10!!!!!

Virgil....as a signing has been a 10!!!!! This season he's been a 5!!!!!!

I'd give Nunez a 6 and Gakpo an 8. We will know more next season but you'd have to be more convinced on Gakpo than Nunez.

I'm starting to realize we'd be screwed if we had to rely on Nunez. He'll never have the game intelligence. We've got too many plodders at this point. Hopefully his second season will see a bi difference. Take Salah out now and we would be royally screwed

Question: Did Salah, Mane, Bobby, Suarez, Torres, Robbie, Owen or any other striker of note for us ever need a second season to shine?

Our team has been dysfunctional for most of the season, and has played in completely different ways with no stability.

I'd give Nunez a 6 and Gakpo an 8. We will know more next season but you'd have to be more convinced on Gakpo than Nunez.

Both bring different qualities to the table, perhaps Gakpo fits the side better and has been able to showcase his more often that Darwin’s

Some will say Gakpo started slow and has grown week by week and Nunez started on fire (excluding Palace) and has faded these past few months. That’s fair. But he had many unbelievable games for us before Gakpo came, he and Mo were carrying our attack.

Who would you rather come up against if both were on the top of their game?

I'm more optimistic by our attack then our defense, so that's something.

The signings of Gakpo and Diaz are every bit as good as the Mane and Firmino. Let's not forget that Gakpo has established himself faster than Bobby did, and if Diaz comes back from his injury to the player he was then I'm confident he will become one of the finest attacking players in Europe. The numbers need to improve, but the guy has magic in his boots.

Jota is streaky and looking increasingly injury prone, but once he's fit and scoring the goals flow, and he offers the most out of possession.

I cannot be bothered going over Nunez again - it's all been said. However if you combine a chance magnet (which he unquestionably is), an assist machine like Trent, and a coach who signed and developed Lewandowski and there's and grounds to have faith in his finishing improving.

It's really up to Klopp to figure out a system which gets the most out of this set of individual parts. In regards to the attack he can have few complaints about not being backed.

Interesting observation. Maybe he’s been watching a lot of Mane videos during his injury layoff - let’s hope we see a more productive Diaz next season!

Interesting observation. Maybe he’s been watching a lot of Mane videos during his injury layoff - let’s hope we see a more productive Diaz next season!

Long as he keeps hitting the griddy this season I'll be happy

I hope everyone else is right and I'm wrong because I can't shake the feeling that our attack isn't quite good enough.
Jesus.

Won't even ask your feeling on our midfield and defence, god forbid you might suffer something serious as a result & I wouldn't wanna be the cause for that Keni, I CARE TOO MUCH!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom