• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Player of the season 2011/12 - Final Standings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morse

Very Active
Honorary Member
Dear readers,

The final table is:.
1. Suarez....................................14 MOM.......7 2nd........4 3rd............95
2. Skrtel........................................8 MOM.......5 2nd........7 3rd............62
3. Enrique...................................7 MOM........3 2nd.........2 3rd............46
4. Bellamy....................................7 MOM.......2 2nd.............................41
5. Carroll..................................... 4 MOM.......4 2nd.........5 3rd...........37
6. Lucas.......................................1 MOM.......5 2nd.........2 3rd............22
7. Agger........................................1 MOM.........4 2nd........3 3rd..........20
8. Gerrard....................................1 MOM.......4 2nd.........1 3rd............18
9. Johnson....................................1 MOM........2 2nd.......4 3rd..........15
10.Adam........................................1 MOM........3 2nd........1 3rd...........15
11.Henderson..............................1 MOM........2 2nd........3 3rd..........14
12.Reina........................................1 MOM.......2 3rd.........13 CS.........13.5
13.Spearing...................................3 2nd.........4 3rd.............................13
14.Shelvey......................................2 MOM.......2 3rd............................12
15.Downing....................................3 2nd..........2 3rd...........................11
16.Doni........................................... 2 MOM.............................................10
17.Kelly.......................................... 2 2nd..........1 3rd.............................7
18.Kuyt........................................... .1 2nd..........2 3rd............................5
19.Sterling......................................1 2nd.........1 3rd............................4
20.Rodriguez..................................2 3rd............................................... 2
21.Flanagan...................................2 3rd............................................... 2
22.Coates.......................................1 3rd............................................... 1
So the 2012 Player of the Season (as voted by users of YNWA, ST, Est1892, 6CM, TLW and IK) is
LUIS SUAREZ!!!.. :respect:
Previous winners:.
2005: Jamie Carragher
2006: Steven Gerrard
2007: Dirk Kuyt
2008: Javier Mascherano
2009: Xabi Alonso
2010: Javier Mascherano
2011: Steven Gerrard
Personal thoughts:.
Skrtel has been given the “official” award but looking at the table, how can that be? Now I am not denying that Martin has had a great season. He has been very consistent and perhaps attacking players get more of the limelight and because of that...votes. In my opinion though, Suarez has been the better player. Pretty much in the top 3 in each game he plays. 14 MOM awards suggest that he was Player of the season. He also missed 9 games ffs!
Enrique got his votes at the start of the season. Perhaps it was our great desire for him to be successful that we gave him votes he didn’t always merit?
Carroll got his results at the end of the season. He was injured at first, then unfit and perhaps the price tag put a strain on him. Whatever the reason, he seems to have grown into the role of striker well. He is going to be great for us.
Disappointments for me have been Reina and Gerrard. Reina has been unhappy at the club in my opinion since Rafa, Masher, Xabi and Torres all left. He should be sold if he is unhappy...end of. Vorm at Swansea is my target replacement. Stevie had his operation at the start of the season that was supposed to cure all his problems. He then had associated infections...all very strange. He has been quiet when he has played, not his usual whirlwind type of player...is it possible that he could be coming to the end sooner than we feared?
It has been good to see Flanagan, Kelly, Coates and Spearing all given a run of games...it will take them a while to come good, but particular exciting for me was the introduction of Shelvey and Sterling. Jonjo had more games and Sterling was given a taste, but I would hope to see more of both next season.
Henderson and Adam were disappointing but I would give them another season because of their lack of experience at a big club and their relatively young age. Downing has played in the Premiership for a long time and is late 20s. There is no excuse for him I’m afraid...he hasn’t the guts to play at the top level. We need to get rid.
All in all, a disappointing season but we won another trophy. It could have been 2. Many games we dominated and didn’t score.
In my opinion we just need to tinker a little...a poacher to get on the end of crosses and perhaps a creative type of midfielder/winger. We play well in patches and dominate games.
I am not one who subscribes to the point of view that we need major surgery to our squad. I am hoping for a couple of new signings and getting rid of Kuyt, Aquilani, Downing and Cole.
The above are my own views and I am happy to debate but we are all entitled to different opinions.
Over to you...

Enrique did have a great first half of the season, he tailed off in the end but he had a big impact and was a good signing. People forget Bellamy had a purple patch but was in and out for the rest of it aswell.

Top five this season for me would be

Skrtel
Suarez
Agger
Bellamy
Enrique.

Lucas probably would have pushed all the way if he'd not got injured.

Suarez would have got player of the season if it wasn't for that Evra thing.
I think so anyway.

Cheers Morse for all the hard work throughout the season.
Interesting summary too.

Enrique did have a great first half of the season, he tailed off in the end but he had a big impact and was a good signing. People forget Bellamy had a purple patch but was in and out for the rest of it aswell.

Top five this season for me would be

Skrtel
Suarez
Agger
Bellamy
Enrique.

Lucas probably would have pushed all the way if he'd not got injured.

This.

Just as a comparison , the obviously inferior official rankings .....

Fans' MOTM table 2011-12
Luis Suarez 16
Andy Carroll 9
Craig Bellamy 7
Jose Enrique 5
Steven Gerrard 4
Daniel Agger 3
Charlie Adam 1
Lucas 1
Maxi Rodriguez 1
Glen Johnson 1
Stewart Downing 1
Martin Skrtel 1
Sebastian Coates 1
Liverpoolfc.tv journalists' MOTM table 2011-12
Luis Suarez 13
Jose Enrique 8
Craig Bellamy 7
Martin Skrtel 4
Andy Carroll 4
Jordan Henderson 4
Daniel Agger 2
Stewart Downing 2
Lucas 1
Jamie Carragher 1
Charlie Adam 1
Maxi 1
Jay Spearing 1
Steven Gerrard 1
Doni 1
Jonjo Shelvey 1

Just as a comparison , the obviously inferior official rankings .....

Fans' MOTM table 2011-12
Luis Suarez 16
Andy Carroll 9
Craig Bellamy 7
Jose Enrique 5
Steven Gerrard 4
Daniel Agger 3
Charlie Adam 1
Lucas 1
Maxi Rodriguez 1
Glen Johnson 1
Stewart Downing 1
Martin Skrtel 1
Sebastian Coates 1
Liverpoolfc.tv journalists' MOTM table 2011-12
Luis Suarez 13
Jose Enrique 8
Craig Bellamy 7
Martin Skrtel 4
Andy Carroll 4
Jordan Henderson 4
Daniel Agger 2
Stewart Downing 2
Lucas 1
Jamie Carragher 1
Charlie Adam 1
Maxi 1
Jay Spearing 1
Steven Gerrard 1
Doni 1
Jonjo Shelvey 1

Shows to me that the LFC official player of the year award to Skrtel was an attempt at a PR turnaround than a genuine reflection of the season. (I do think Martin had an excellent season though before anyone has a pop).

I think giving it to Skrtel was fair enough, personally. To my mind he's undoubtedly the most improved player and IMO there's a strong argument for using the Player of the Season award to recognise that.

Can't disagree with what Jules said there, despite seeing Skrtel losing a bit of steam close Season. Lots of rotation mind and he didn't thrive from that at all.

Yes I agree with JJ, Skrtel is by a mile the most improved player, in fact remarkably so, for most of his career prior to this season there has always been at least one major fuck-up a game in him, can't fault him this year.
That said Suarez sets his own standards, even when Suarez has an average game by his standards he is still great. Eight games out, half the season with a load of shit buzzing in his head, remarkable to pull off the player of the season by such a margin, that said not a lot to beat.
I too think we have not been generous to Agger who had a very good season and not too many injuries (for him).
Downing? This just proves beyond all reasonable doubt what a stinker he has had, played loads and loads of games, no goals two assists and comes in with the also-rans.
Who would have thought Dirk would be down there too?

Thanks again Morse

regards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom