• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Poch sacked

Status
Not open for further replies.
He has become an upmarket Fat Sam with this gig. There's absolutely no pressure on him here. He needs to move them up the table, which the squad would do anyway, and perhaps make a bit of a run at a cup.

I'm not sure I can be arsed to wait the requisite 2 years for it all to fall apart under Mourinho. Can we get an accelerated option this time round ... like 2 months?

I think there's a high chance Spurs will win silverware before either of Arsenal or Man Utd does - bragging rights Mourinho was probably looking for. :p

Levy banking on Mourinho's reputation to persuade the "contract rebels" into staying and getting them back on form?
I can see the reverse happening. After seeing what happened at United.

It seems to me as if some /many want to get away from the club - and maybe from Levy too. A last big payday for some.

I suspect we'll see a short term bounce though.

I'm not sure it is as crazy as everyone thinks– at least short term. Maureen has worked at big clubs with big cheque books, but he has also generally worked at clubs where he hasn't always had his way in picking and choosing players and where he has played the (expensive) hand dealt to him. That's a very good squad, and Maureen will get a tune out of it. Where this doesn't make sense is that the Spurs squad is on the verge of breaking apart, as a chunk are seeing out their contracts, and they really need someone with a mid-term plan to rebuild. This does smack of desperation from Levy with a stadium to pay for, a gamble that he feels he needs to take as he services huge interest payments. You'd imagine, given Maureen's history, they could well be right up shit street in 2 and a half years or so, but perhaps with a trophy or top 4 in between.

I think the present Spurs side is good for a few trophies under Mourinho.

Obviously not great for the long term, but Spurs is probably done for in the long term if they don't start winning now.

@doctor_mac Almost word for word what I just said to my mates in a group chat that, I said it smacks of desperation & short term panic to ensure that the stadium loans & sponsors are happy.

This isn't a long or even medium term appointment, it's to get them out of the shit now. In many respects that makes sense, but long term its easy to see it doing more harm than good.

Indeed, I was expecting someone like Eddie Howe in all honesty. That would have been a more Levy type of appointment given their focus for the last few years.

The evidence seems to suggest you can appointment by almost anyone and get an immediate short term improvement. So appointing Mourinho doesn't necessarily justify any hoped for short term improvement.

He's an inflexible manager who expects his club to buy players to suit his rigid approach. Spurs are highly unlikely to be able to finance the level of transfers he needs to turn this around.

And even if they could , why would you trust his judgment ?

Mkhitaryan
Pogba
Lindelof
Lukaku
Matic
Sanchez
Fred

Why on earth would you give the stupid cunt control over anything after that bunch of signings ?

The evidence seems to suggest you can appointment by almost anyone and get an immediate short term improvement. So appointing Mourinho doesn't necessarily justify any hoped for short term improvement.

He's an inflexible manager who expects his club to buy players to suit his rigid approach. Spurs are highly unlikely to be able to finance the level of transfers he needs to turn this around.

Mkhitaryan
Pogba
Lindelof
Lukaku
Matic
Sanchez
Fred

Why on earth would you give the stupid cunt control over anything after that bunch of signings ?

Surely he won't have control over signings at spurs.

Mkhitaryan
Pogba
Lindelof
Lukaku
Matic
Sanchez
Fred

Because he's also made some good signings.

Mkhitaryan
Pogba
Lindelof
Lukaku
Matic
Sanchez
Fred

Lukaku actually scored a decent amount of goals for United, but yeah the rest doesn't read well at all. The Sanchez deal worked out hilariously badly.

As long as Poch doesn't go to Man United in the summer this is all great stuff.

Poch has played a fucking blinder here.

Sacked with a huge pay-off, everyone thinks it's a silly move, reputation intact and can now have a bit of time out and see what happens at Barcelona, PSG, Bayern and United. He will walk back into a top job by summer - at the very latest.

Levy controls signings at Spurs (pretty well it must be said), and that is not going to change.

Levy controls signings at Spurs (pretty well it must be said), and that is not going to change.

Well, given that Levy has often been accused of hiring "tame" managers who will toe the line, and then getting the arse when they don't, this is a really brave and/or reckless appointment, because Mourinho is probably - along with Benitez - the least malleable and most combustible top-class manager in Europe.

Poch was an expert at media manipulation, admittedly, but he started from a much lower status than Mourinho

Well, given that Levy has often been accused of hiring "tame" managers who will toe the line, and then getting the arse when they don't, this is a really brave and/or reckless appointment, because Mourinho is probably - along with Benitez - the least malleable and most combustible top-class manager in Europe.

Poch was an expert at media manipulation, admittedly, but he started from a much lower status than Mourinho
Poch has been Maureenesque for a few seasons, so it really won't be a tremendous shock to the Levy system. Obviously, it looks like a potentially hazardous partnership (and I hope it comes a cropper sooner rather than the inevitable later), but they will both know everything about one another. Maureen will know he's joining one of the most iron-willed and controlling chairmen in world football. He's also considerably more competent than his last chairman, and he'll know that too. Maureen has been much less combustible in recent years. He groaned a little at Utd when he didn't get his desired CB (which he was absolutely right to agitate for) but very quickly he shut down the press attempting to repeatedly pick at that scab. It was his relationship with a poisonous dressing room that did for him at Utd and the fact that Woodward really should have seen the bigger picture that no matter what, and whoever the coach, his team needed top quality at the back.

Poch has been pretty mild given he had no money to spend for a couple of transfer windows.

Jose, went mental after spending 300 million.

Jose wouldn't have gone to spurs without the promise of money of money. Which is strange, that they wouldn't given the money to poch,

Its a calculated risk spending loads of money for short term success, if they dont qualify for the CL for instance, it will leave them in an even bigger mess. I would have wagered beforehand that this wasnt the sort of risk Levy would take but maybe the pressure has got to him.

Poch going to Utd is no drama as he's got a history of being able to win fuck all, which would fit in nicely.
Spurs on the other hand will now be in with a shout of winning most of the lesser cups via horrible football, and I fully expect them to make top 4 now behind Leicester.

Poch going to Utd is no drama as he's got a history of being able to win fuck all, which would fit in nicely.
Spurs on the other hand will now be in with a shout of winning most of the lesser cups via horrible football, and I fully expect them to make top 4 now behind Leicester.

That's a big ask with Chelsea doing well under Lampard, but should be interesting anyway.

Let's face it, the Top 4/ CL qualification is what Levy is panicking about. That's the minimum (and also maximum?) requirement and what he cares about.

I think Mourinho thinks he will prove something to everyone when he does it with less money. And he might.

But that's his out of work brain. If things don't work out, he will revert to type hopefully.

Even behind his pr, I saw a good amount of being fed up with it all. He doesn't know anything else but work, but his constant movement and ego has diminished his opportunities , and he doesn't seem to enjoy it as much , other than out of spite.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom