• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Poor the Emre..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tish - who'd you drop for Torres ? And I think Fabs is one of the best I've ever seen.

This concept of people having different opinions now - problematic ?
Firmino is better. Maybe not a better striker, but definitely a better footballer. No fucking doubt.
And I love Ketchup.

God, we're at that point where a player - in this case Firmino - is so amazingly important and amazing and important, that no player in Liverpool's rich striking history could even get in the team ahead of him. Maybe no player in the WORLD>

Torres, in his first season, was one of the most devastating strikers on the planet. Firmino has just hit 50 Premier league goals, Torres scored that in half as many games.
Now, I know they are different players and I know "systems" and all that, but let's at least be reasonable.

Reminds me a bit of that poll where Liverpool fans said they'd prefer Momo Sissoko to Lionel Messi.

Kevin Philips scored 30 goals in his first Premier League season. I'd pick a one legged Firmino ahead of him.
Point is, with Salah and Mané scoring for fun, getting Firmino to score in addition to the hard work he does facilitating them, is just an added bonus.

Kevin Philips scored 30 goals in his first Premier League season. I'd pick a one legged Firmino ahead of him.
Point is, with Salah and Mané scoring for fun, getting Firmino to score in addition to the hard work he does facilitating them, is just an added bonus.

I'm not talking about Kevin Phillips. Why are you talking about Kevin Phillips? Do you think him and Torres were equally good players?

Yes but City use a different system. They don't play with a false 9. Also wouldn't Firmino and Gerrard get in each others way if Gerrard plays that role behind the striker like he did with Torres?

Can wasn't disciplined enough to play in that role. Performances were very up and down.
Anyway...I wonder, would a midfield 3 of Mascherano, Alonso and Gerrard work in the current Klopp system.
Mascherano would, not sure about Alonso and Gerrard. Not really 90 minute chasers them two...imo.
I think Gerrard would be terrific in the Firmino false nine position. In fact, I don't doubt he'd be better than Bobby despite my adoration for the Brazilian. Gerrard would play Mane and Salah through time and again with his incredible passing range, he'd pick the ball up deep and drive at the opponents, and of course, he would outstrip Bobby considerably in terms of shooting, especially from outside the box (something Bobby gets a fair few opportunities to do, but that he has irregularly capitalised on). He'd also be able to use his energy, strength and ball control to be a constant source of trouble in much the way Bobby does.

God, we're at that point where a player - in this case Firmino - is so amazingly important and amazing and important, that no player in Liverpool's rich striking history could even get in the team ahead of him. Maybe no player in the WORLD>

Torres, in his first season, was one of the most devastating strikers on the planet. Firmino has just hit 50 Premier league goals, Torres scored that in half as many games.
Now, I know they are different players and I know "systems" and all that, but let's at least be reasonable.

Reminds me a bit of that poll where Liverpool fans said they'd prefer Momo Sissoko to Lionel Messi.

I'm sure you're not saying that Sadio and Mo are not currently two of the most amazing strikers on the planet ?

Yes, Torres was a better striker than Bobby is. Virgil is a better centre back than Bobby. Fabs is a better CM. As you say, "systems" - but discussing players in a team without a system of some sort makes the discussion less meaningful.

All hypotheticals of course. :)

I think Gerrard would be terrific in the Firmino false nine position. In fact, I don't doubt he'd be better than Bobby despite my adoration for the Brazilian. Gerrard would play Mane and Salah through time and again with his incredible passing range, he'd pick the ball up deep and drive at the opponents, and of course, he would outstrip Bobby considerably in terms of shooting, especially from outside the box (something Bobby gets a fair few opportunities to do, but that he has irregularly capitalised on). He'd also be able to use his energy, strength and ball control to be a constant source of trouble in much the way Bobby does.
Hmm interesting I didn't really consider Gerrard playing as a false nine.
That could actually work, and if Klopp got a young Gerrard that he could mould, even better.

I'm not talking about Kevin Phillips. Why are you talking about Kevin Phillips? Do you think him and Torres were equally good players?
You used goals to make your point. Philips got goals a plenty, I'm just trying to highlight that it's not only about the goals.
I don't there's a right or wrong here.
Torres was fantastic in Benitez system, Firmino probably wouldn't have been.

I'm sure you're not saying that Sadio and Mo are not currently two of the most amazing strikers on the planet ?

Yes, Torres was a better striker than Bobby is. Virgil is a better centre back than Bobby. Fabs is a better CM. As you say, "systems" - but discussing players in a team without a system of some sort makes the discussion less meaningful.

All hypotheticals of course. :)

Mane and Salah aren't central strikers really

This is morphing into a fantasy front 3 thread

Mane Gerrard Salah?

Suarez Torres Salah?

Rumour has it Rambo buys them for his missions

FirstBloodRambo_2087Pyxurz.jpg
Bahahaha!

This post needs some lovin'

This is morphing into a fantasy front 3 thread

Mane Gerrard Salah?

Suarez Torres Salah?

It would actually appear that neither Gerrard, Torres, Suarez, Kevin Phillips or ANYONE ever could improve on the current front three of Liverpool.

Which is nice

It would actually appear that neither Gerrard, Torres, Suarez, Kevin Phillips or ANYONE ever could improve on the current front three of Liverpool.

Which is nice

He's not exactly popular these days but I reckon Suarez could bench any of them

Some fucking mong will doubtless quack on about "discipline" and "tactical awareness" and conclude that one of the greatest players to ever play for Liverpool, might have struggled to get into a Klopp side that has featured midfield players like Wijnaldum, Milner, Lallana and Henderson
Getting angry in advance about something no-one will say ...

Getting angry in advance about something no-one will say ...

"would a midfield 3 of Mascherano, Alonso and Gerrard work in the current Klopp system.
Mascherano would, not sure about Alonso and Gerrard. Not really 90 minute chasers them two"

Next

I think people get far too hung up on the idea of what a Klopp player / midfielder is.

The idea that Klopp couldn't or wouldn't want to make use of players like Alonso / Gerrard in their prime does him a disservice.

I think people get far too hung up on the idea of what a Klopp player / midfielder is.

The idea that Klopp couldn't or wouldn't want to make use of players like Alonso / Gerrard in their prime does him a disservice.

It does them more of a disservice. But then we always do this when the rapture strikes. Even Rodgers had a bit of this

Mane and Salah aren't central strikers really

Our system rely on them getting into goalscoring positions. I don’t have any stats or so but I think you would find them in a strikers position quite often. Could we ask Torres to operate the same way? Probably as he seem to love running down behind defence and had extreme skills to go along. Could we ask him to keep dropping deep and do the role Firmino does? I have doubts if we got the best of him then.

The only thing I'm doubting is the constant pressing. Gerrard would definitely get into the team, no doubt. I'm talking suitability in the same way Owen would get into Rafa's team but possibly not best suited to play alone upfront.
Also regarding tactical awareness, am I completely wrong in thinking that Rafa shifting Gerrard to the right or giving a free role in midfield was due to his tactical awareness not being up to Benitez standard? And Gerrard playing the DM role during your namesakes stint as manager, wasn't exactly his best position, was it?
Gerrard's biggest 'problem' is that he would almost continually press & tackle all over the pitch, when every manager he played under wanted him to be more restrained & play in a certain part of the pitch.

Playing under Klopp I have no doubt that he'd have the freedom to do at least most of that, & the continual running required would satisfy his urge to always be involved too.

He'd shine under any system the game has ever been played in, but fuck, he's practically tailor made for the way we play now.

Alonso was always among the top 3 runners while he played for us so him not putting in work is about as accurate as "all he does is pass"

I liked Can but we could never properly find his role in that midfield three. Scored in some big games and was capable of exceptional moments (that goal we scored that was about 4 or 5 1-2s down the pitch in a CL game). I don't feel any animosity for him and think he's been treated like crap here if he wasn't warned of being left out. He would be a great addition for other lesser CL teams in Europe.

Alonso was always among the top 3 runners while he played for us so him not putting in work is about as accurate as "all he does is pass"

Covering ground doesn't always equate to being tactically aware though. When we played Gerrard and Alonso in the middle at Arsenal (and in Istanbul), both were fucking dire as a partnership, they left holes everywhere and we got destroyed as a result. Alonso did put his foot in and he also worked hard, but he could also go missing too when the chips were down, particularly early on in his Liverpool career. He was brilliant obviously, but he had flaws he had to work on, so did Gerrard.

Rafa's decision on Gerrard was two-fold. He saw that he couldn't always be relied on in particular setups as a more orthodox central midfielder, and he knew if he lifted the shackles off him, he would do more damage to the opposition. His record on the right and then behind Torres saw him reach his full potential, which was no surprise to anyone really.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom