• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Poor the Emre..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Covering ground doesn't always equate to being tactically aware though. When we played Gerrard and Alonso in the middle at Arsenal (and in Istanbul), both were fucking dire as a partnership, they left holes everywhere and we got destroyed as a result. Alonso did put his foot in and he also worked hard, but he could also go missing too when the chips were down, particularly early on in his Liverpool career. He was brilliant obviously, but he had flaws he had to work on, so did Gerrard.

Rafa's decision on Gerrard was two-fold. He saw that he couldn't always be relied on in particular setups as a more orthodox central midfielder, and he knew if he lifted the shackles off him, he would do more damage to the opposition. His record on the right and then behind Torres saw him reach his full potential, which was no surprise to anyone really.
This is what I was trying to say.

The good thing with Gerrard is that he did learn some tactical discipline from playing at right back, then in central midfield and covering various defensive positions early on in his career, then latterly (for better or worse) in the holding role. But like with Emre, you can't always fully instill that instinct in a player, you can work on it and improve it, but some players just aren't naturally that way inclined.

Gerrard was a scouser, had played on shitty parks of a weekend in the freezing cold and so was dogged and able to have a bit of bite in his game when needed, Can just reminds me of Glen Johnson - quite alot of raw talent that's undercut by a unshakable tendency to just not concentrate and to easily forget tactical discipline.

Yes but City use a different system. They don't play with a false 9. Also wouldn't Firmino and Gerrard get in each others way if Gerrard plays that role behind the striker like he did with Torres?
Yeah but he wouldn't play that way in our current system hence why i used the example of ox and keita as the role he would play. He would be in the midfield 3 in a more disciplined role.

I liked Can but we could never properly find his role in that midfield three. Scored in some big games and was capable of exceptional moments (that goal we scored that was about 4 or 5 1-2s down the pitch in a CL game). I don't feel any animosity for him and think he's been treated like crap here if he wasn't warned of being left out. He would be a great addition for other lesser CL teams in Europe.

I think it was more that he needed quite a bit of time to find the rythm and freshness to perform on a high Level. He was a bit injured and allways needed quite a few games to find his matchfitness upon return. He could easily play a handful very good matches when he found his rytm but he often seem heavylegged and a bit static.

Fuck him regarding CL. He is one of those who tought Liverpool was good because of him and forgot that he looked good because of Liverpool.

Yeah but he wouldn't play that way in our current system hence why i used the example of ox and keita as the role he would play. He would be in the midfield 3 in a more disciplined role.
Gerrard and disciplined roles...I don't know.

Would 2014 Suarez, replacing Bobby in our front 3, make us a better overall TEAM? Would he combine with Salah & Mane to score more combined goals than our current trio? Or would Suarez and Salah be too greedy for Mane to put up with. Would we lose something defensively?

I would love to have added him in with a vintage Gerrard, operating in Hendos current position, right side in the midfield 3.

-------------Alisson--------------

Trent - Matip - Virgil - Robbo

-------------Fabinho--------------
Gerrard---------------Hendo-

Salah-----Suarez----Mane

But his best seasons were behind the striker and in right mid?
He carried us to the Champions League places almost by himself that season. He scored more goals when further forward, but being deeper allowed to him to rip teams up with his long passing and make his typical crunching challenges.

He carried us to the Champions League places almost by himself that season. He scored more goals when further forward, but being deeper allowed to him to rip teams up with his long passing and make his typical crunching challenges.
Ok, I might be in the wrong...anyway pointless discussion.

I think we will score a shit load of goals if Gerrard were to play right back in a Klopp system.

If Stevie were to be offered the amount of space Trent often gets he will be unstoppable.

Adrian Durham did a poll a few weeks ago of the best central midfielders ever in the premier league. Gerrard wasn't in the top 5.

Gerrard, for me, is top 5 ever in ANY position.

Adrian Durham did a poll a few weeks ago of the best central midfielders ever in the premier league. Gerrard wasn't in the top 5.

Gerrard, for me, is top 5 ever in ANY position.
Had he won the league he would have been there

There is a scale of opinions from entirely subjective (ketchup is shit) to entirely objective (three is a prime number). The opinion that Torres was a better player than Firmino is just a shade below the latter and million miles from the former. It is problematic when people use ketchup thinking to justify their right to hold ridiculous opinions.

From the man who has more ketchup dribbling out of his mouth than just about anyone else on this site... ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom