• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post Match - Lille

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually, that's probably a bit unfair. He could very well come good, and he's got proper ability, but right now he just does not fit into the team. At all.

I don't blame Aquilani in any way. He has the skill and the vision, and I do think he could do the job given a full pre season and some proper match time (whether he makes it in this league is anyone's guess though), but as you say it just isn't going to happen as things stand.

Purple Aqui has shown a few worrying signs in his (admittedly few) appearances that he might just be a bit of a shithouse.

Sometimes his quick movement of the ball doesn't so much resemble alacrity of thought so much as a player scared he's going to get his ankles knocked together (again, possibly understandable given his appalling injury record)

I think Aquilani's over-eager rather than afraid of getting injured.

As for Ryan's analysis... Jesus Christ! The way you describe our performance makes it sound like we were playing against the 1970 Brazil team. We were playing LILLE, the sixth best team in a very average French league. As you said, they pose very little attacking threat - so why the fuck did we have to keep 9 players behind the ball all the time?

I also think it's a tactical mistake to play defensively in the away leg of a European tie. Every single team that has qualified for the QFs of the CL so far got at least one away goal. Losing 1-0 is a terrible result in Europe. Rafa knows this, too, which is precisely why we spent so much time in the opposition half away at Barca, for instance, two seasons ago. I'm not suggesting that Rafa is anything other than a tactical genius in European matches generally, but to suggest that this particular performance was a masterpiece of strategic thinking is mindboggling. Sam Fucking Allardyce could have come up with this strategy, and probably with this result too.

Rafa's losing it, and so are you Ryan.

[quote author=ILD link=topic=39256.msg1068155#msg1068155 date=1268352951]
[quote author=Ryan link=topic=39256.msg1068141#msg1068141 date=1268352494]
[quote author=Herr Onceared link=topic=39256.msg1068135#msg1068135 date=1268352195]
Great news lads, the whole match is on lfctv again now.
[/quote]

Maybe I'm on my own but I didn't think it was a bad game. I didn't feel like I did when watching the Wigan game, and sta there trying to count the amount of fucking things we did wrong. Tonight was a decent performance and the way we played was admirable enough.

Of course we got beat which is fucking gay, but if we play like tonight, creating the chances we did from now on then we'll not have to much to complain about.
[/quote]

I thought the first half was very poor all round. It was like a pre season friendly at times. We seemed to lack hunger and interet.

I agree about Torres and his poor attitude. It is stinking at times. I wish he would just concentrate on shutting up the defenders by making them look like cunts instead of moaning and gesticulating at the ref.
[/quote]

i'm starting to hope, in a depressive kind of way, that we sell torres this summer, preferably to barcelona. the poor bastard's wasting the best years of his career/life with us and i don't want that on my conscience.

i suppose at least spain have a good chance of winning the world cup for him.

We have 4 of the very best players in the world (Torres, Gerrard, Mascher & Reina) whereas Lille have none. This does not give us an automatic right to victory but we should we winning wayyyyy more often with the players we have.

The difference between us and Lille last night was that they made up for having "lesser" players by being a cohesive unit who all played for each other and played with passion and belief. I don't think we're likely to see a Liverpool team play with passion and belief until we get a new manager because the players have lost faith with Rafa.

I'm still a big fan of Rafa's, appreciate everything he's done for us and am sure he'll be a success at his next club but unfortunately things have gone sour here and we're holed below the plimsoll line.

Fucking el Ryan, it was yet another dire insipid performance. There's been very very few positive performances all year. You're trying to polish a turd. We all want to see improvement but trying to justify performances like that as an improvement means our standards are getting significantly lowered.

[quote author=Herr Onceared link=topic=39256.msg1068082#msg1068082 date=1268350112]
[quote author=Ryan link=topic=39256.msg1068076#msg1068076 date=1268349984]
Ha, yeah possibly.
[/quote]Dont for fuck sake. You're my constant. I need you to keep being you and keep being positive, or I'll kill everyone I know with an axe.
[/quote]
There's a lot of pressure piling on young Ryans shoulders these days.

Good post btw.

I do however feel we are never going to look anything but solid and ordinary with Masher and Lucas playing at the same time. They are simply not capable of creating anything unexspected hence we are so easy to close down. Especially when Gerrard and Kuyt are doing their utmost to give the ball away at every given chance.

Masher's awesome at what he does and Lucas is decent but we are really craving someone different in there.

Que: AQUILANI!

[quote author=the_khl link=topic=39256.msg1068298#msg1068298 date=1268388016]
[quote author=Herr Onceared link=topic=39256.msg1068082#msg1068082 date=1268350112]
Ha, yeah possibly.
[/quote]Dont for fuck sake. You're my constant. I need you to keep being you and keep being positive, or I'll kill everyone I know with an axe.
[/quote]

Good post btw.

I do however feel we are never going to look anything but solid and ordinary with Masher and Lucas playing at the same time. They are simply not capable of creating anything unexspected hence we are so easy to close down. Especially when Gerrard and Kuyt are doing their utmost to give the ball away at every given chance.

Masher's awesome at what he does and Lucas is decent but we are really craving someone different in there.

[/quote]Ryans like the fucking band on the Titanic.

[quote author=TheBunnyman link=topic=39256.msg1068258#msg1068258 date=1268383055]
I think Aquilani's over-eager rather than afraid of getting injured.

As for Ryan's analysis... Jesus Christ! The way you describe our performance makes it sound like we were playing against the 1970 Brazil team. We were playing LILLE, the sixth best team in a very average French league. As you said, they pose very little attacking threat - so why the fuck did we have to keep 9 players behind the ball all the time?

I also think it's a tactical mistake to play defensively in the away leg of a European tie. Every single team that has qualified for the QFs of the CL so far got at least one away goal. Losing 1-0 is a terrible result in Europe. Rafa knows this, too, which is precisely why we spent so much time in the opposition half away at Barca, for instance, two seasons ago. I'm not suggesting that Rafa is anything other than a tactical genius in European matches generally, but to suggest that this particular performance was a masterpiece of strategic thinking is mindboggling. Sam Fucking Allardyce could have come up with this strategy, and probably with this result too.

Rafa's losing it, and so are you Ryan.

[/quote]
The French league is everything but average at the moment I would've thought.

Lyon knocking Real out. Marseille looks class too and could be winning the EL. Bordeaux sending Juve into the Europa League.

Why do you reckon it's 'very average'?

[quote author=Herr Onceared link=topic=39256.msg1068299#msg1068299 date=1268388199]
[quote author=the_khl link=topic=39256.msg1068298#msg1068298 date=1268388016]
Ha, yeah possibly.
[/quote]

Good post btw.

[/quote]Ryans like the fucking band on the Titanic.
[/quote]
Haha...

Thats good KHL - so in summary, the French league is pretty good so its actually okay that we lost to fucking Lille, the free kick (a percentage ball into the middle of the area) was undefendable, and people are going too OTT re the Wigan match?

Fuck. Me.

Great effort Ryan, it can't have been easy to come up with that after such a disappointing result but all your points are spot on.

[quote author=Stu link=topic=39256.msg1068308#msg1068308 date=1268389172]
Great effort Ryan, it can't have been easy to come up with that after such a disappointing result but all your points are spot on.
[/quote]

Great input .... so you think the solidity of our formation was a plus point?

[quote author=grjt link=topic=39256.msg1068307#msg1068307 date=1268388930]
Thats good KHL - so in summary, the French league is pretty good so its actually okay that we lost to fucking Lille, the free kick (a percentage ball into the middle of the area) was undefendable, and people are going too OTT re the Wigan match?

Fuck. Me.
[/quote]
Is that a dig at me? All I said was that Bunnys comments with regards to the French-league beeing very average seems extremely odd as it's looking quite good these days.

All that matters to me is whether we progress or not. If we don't then there's no excuses. Lille's a decent team but not one who should be knocking Liverpool out.

And I don't think I've mentioned the Wigan game with one positive sentence anywhere.

You are OTT?

[quote author=the_khl link=topic=39256.msg1068310#msg1068310 date=1268389493]

Fuck. Me.
[/quote]
Is that a dig at me? All I said was that Bunnys comments with regards to the French-league beeing very average seems extremely odd as it's looking quite good these days.

All that matters to me is whether we progress or not. If we don't then there's no excuses. Lille's a decent team but not one who should be knocking Liverpool out.

And I don't think I've mentioned the Wigan game with one positive sentence anywhere.

You are OTT?
[/quote]

Marseille didn't have to play very well to beat us, twice, and Lyon were fortunate to catch Madrid on a day when they couldn't finish. Let's not let a couple of results blur the bigger picture, shall we? The French league is largely average, with a handful of standout players.

Lille are an honest team, but nothing more. Any other top team from this league would go there and have a field day.

[quote author=Delinquent link=topic=39256.msg1068317#msg1068317 date=1268389968]

Fuck. Me.
[/quote]

You are OTT?
[/quote]

Marseille didn't have to play very well to beat us, twice, and Lyon were fortunate to catch Madrid on a day when they couldn't finish. Let's not let a couple of results blur the bigger picture, shall we? The French league is largely average, with a handful of standout players.

Lille are an honest team, but nothing more. Any other top team from this league would go there and have a field day.
[/quote]
Absolutely not.

Lyon has now managed to beat us at Anfield and knocked Real out and are just lucky you say?

Marseille has looked impressive of late and the likes of Ben Arfa and Valbuena are top class on their day.

Bordeaux's been quite a revelation beating Juve and Bayern thoroughly in the groupstages. A player like Gourcuff is awesome. Cavenaghi and Chamakh seems half decent too.

Lille's got one the arguably biggest talents around in Eden Hazard.

You are wrong mate.

[quote author=the_khl link=topic=39256.msg1068322#msg1068322 date=1268390612]
[quote author=Delinquent link=topic=39256.msg1068317#msg1068317 date=1268389968]

Fuck. Me.
[/quote]

You are OTT?
[/quote]

[/quote]
Absolutely not.

Lyon has now managed to beat us at Anfield and knocked Real out and are just lucky you say?

Marseille has looked impressive of late and the likes of Ben Arfa and Valbuena are top class on their day.

Bordeaux's been quite a revelation beating Juve and Bayern thoroughly in the groupstages. A player like Gourcuff is awesome. Cavenaghi and Chamakh seems half decent too.

You are wrong mate.
[/quote]

No he fucking isnt - he is exactly right. The French league is largely average with some standout players - no more, no less.

Dont worry Del, I can already see elsewhere that the excuses are being prepared in advance regarding the Protsmouth game - looks like its the "wrong game at the wrong time".... that'll explain a largely anonymous game from Lucas (plus two stupid edge of penalty area fouls), and Benitez's favourites remaining in the team regardless of form.

[quote author=grjt link=topic=39256.msg1068324#msg1068324 date=1268390750]

Fuck. Me.
[/quote]

You are OTT?
[/quote]

[/quote]
Absolutely not.

You are wrong mate.
[/quote]

No he fucking isnt - he is exactly right. The French league is largely average with some standout players - no more, no less.

Dont worry Del, I can already see elsewhere that the excuses are being prepared in advance regarding the Protsmouth game - looks like its the "wrong game at the wrong time".... that'll explain a largely anonymous game from Lucas (plus two stupid edge of penalty area fouls), and Benitez's favourites remaining in the team regardless of form.
[/quote]
Read this very closely. I'm not looking for excuses. I don't think we played good last night and we were far to defensive-minded/limited in my opinion.

All I'm saying is, that the French League is on the up and this not only down to one or two players. Look at the results for cryin gout loud. Their league are almost stronger looking than Serie A these days and they are playing some rather great football at times. Fast paced, strong and technical as well.

If you don't agree fair enough but that's the way it is. At least for now.

All I'm saying is, that the French League is on the up and this not only down to one or two players. Look at the results for cryin gout loud. Their league are almost stronger looking than Serie A these days and they are playing some rather great football at times. Fast paced, strong and technical as well.

If you don't agree fair enough but that's the way it is. At least for now.

At least until summer, when the handful of top class players they do have get sold to Italy, Spain or England. As usual.

Lille are shit. That's all that fucking counts. SHIT.

"Their league are almost stronger looking than Serie A these days"

R-iiiiii-ght.........

Fuck. Me.
[/quote]

You are OTT?
[/quote]

[/quote]
Absolutely not.

You are wrong mate.
[/quote]

All you've done is name a few of the standout players I was talking about.

Beating us at Anfield is really nothing to write home about at present. And did you see the Madrid/Lyon game? Madrid should have had about five. On any other day they would have. They deserved to lose for not taking their chances but let's not pretend that Lyon went there and did a number on them. Lyon have simply taken advantage of their good fortune this year. I expect Manure to draw them in the next round and win handsomely.

Admittedly, I haven't seen very much of Bordeaux, so can't really comment there. I'm not sure how well Bayern played against them but Juventus certainly aren't the giants they once were - which is precisely why they joined us in the Europa league. And there's a reason that all of the top players in the French league seek moves to bigger leagues every summer - it's because on the whole, the French league is average and no player can ever be considered a genuine star until they've tested themselves elsewhere.

I'm talking about their league-standards at this very moment. Not next season or the season after.

Lyon, Marseille and Bordeaux are all top-class sides who can beat every team in Europe on their day.

Of course their best players will go to the best sides in Spain and England, but the French league are certainly closing in on the German and the Italian one.

When we're heading in to the last 8 in the Champions League I reckon you'll have three English teams, two Spanish teams (can Sevilla beat CSKA), two french teams and one German team left.

Zero Italian btw.

You were saying?

The French league is average, khl, honestly. They've done OK in Europe this season, but none of the teams are as good as Lyon were four or five years ago. If anything, the standard of the top teams has gone down in recent years as they no longer have players like Essien, Drogba, Benzema, Nasri and Ribéry. Djibril Cissé was a star in France, and he left Marseille for the Greek league OUT OF CHOICE. Lille are an average team in an average league - hard-working, well-organised, unthreatening - and we treated them like they were Barca in their pomp.

Oh, and Ben Arfa is shit, and none of the French teams would be capable of beating United, Chelsea or Arsenal even 'on their day'.

[quote author=the_khl link=topic=39256.msg1068361#msg1068361 date=1268394929]
I'm talking about their league-standards at this very moment. Not next season or the season after.

Lyon, Marseille and Bordeaux are all top-class sides who can beat every team in Europe on their day.

Of course their best players will go to the best sides in Spain and England, but the French league are certainly closing in on the German and the Italian one.

When we're heading in to the last 8 in the Champions League I reckon you'll have three English teams, two Spanish teams (can Sevilla beat CSKA), two french teams and one German team left.

Zero Italian btw.

You were saying?
[/quote]

I was saying that the French league is average, with a few standout players. And you were presenting a fairly weak argument to the contrary, while getting hit from all angles by reasonable people with a bit of perspective.

*puts arm round KHL*
ay, come on lad, out the conversation now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom