• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post Match Thread - Rubin (H)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sakho was commanding again at the back winning all his duels. Not quite sure about his positioning for the goal though. Same goes for Clyne. I hate seeing an attacker taking the ball down in the box but it was an excellent touch and finish.

Lallana worked his socks off again and was very positive. I love how he finds space by allowing the ball to do the work to come across his body. His first touch isn't to control the damn thing, it's to springboard his next phase of play. Something Joe Allen used to be able to do but he just seems so stale these days.

Benteke and Firmino were an added improvement up top. Benteke should have scored. I'll chalk it down to him dusting off the cobwebs and I'll expect a goal on Sunday.

Coutinho was very frustrating again. Just waiting for it all to click with him again.

I'd have to see it again, but I'm not sure what he does wrong. The man is in between Skrtel and Clyne, nowhere near Sakho.

I'd have to see it again, but I'm not sure what he does wrong. The man is in between Skrtel and Clyne, nowhere near Sakho.
Apologies if I got it wrong. I only saw the goal in the pub. I was sure one of our centre halves helped play the striker on? Perhaps it was Skrtel but for some reason I remember not being happy with Sakho's positioning. I'll try catch the goal again.

Apologies if I got it wrong. I only saw the goal in the pub. I was sure one of our centre halves helped play the striker on? Perhaps it was Skrtel but for some reason I remember not being happy with Sakho's positioning. I'll try catch the goal again.

You could be right, only seen it the once myself. But from what I can remember the defence is in line, but Clyne is the wrong side. Great goal in fairness to the lad.

Clyne was caught on the wrong side of the scorer and was solely at fault for that goal, Sahko not involved at all

You could be right, only seen it the once myself. But from what I can remember the defence is in line, but Clyne is the wrong side. Great goal in fairness to the lad.

Skrtel was playing the forward onside and as you've said Clyne was on the wrong side.

Ah was it Skrtel? As I said apologies as I couldn't remember. Sakho had a fine game again. Really enjoyed one header he contested in particular and hammered it back into their half.

Can got done as well, by being too eager in closing down whoever played the pass just skipped past him easily before sticking the ball in the box

Can got done as well, by being too eager in closing down whoever played the pass just skipped past him easily before sticking the ball in the box

Yep, he over committed himself and the midfielder just stepped inside him.

I said it when we were originally after him - that Milner was nothing more than "meh". He's decent but nothing more.
Took a ton of shite from everyone else jizzing over him.

Mehlner.

Not every player is going to go out there and set fireworks off, though. You need the steady Eddies too, and Milner's versatile as well. With Henderson out, and not a lot of other midfielders pulling up trees, I strongly suspect we'd be even further off the pace without Milner in the side.

I said it when we were originally after him - that Milner was nothing more than "meh". He's decent but nothing more.
Took a ton of shite from everyone else jizzing over him.

Mehlner.

If Can continues staking his claim as an essential part of the new "spine" of the team under Klopp, then by the time Henderson returns Milner might find himself on the fringes again, being asked to rotate and to cover different positions here and there just like he was at Man City. I'm fairly certain Klopp will absolutely LOVE Hendo, so if Can establishes himself there simply won't be room in the first team for Milner.

He won't be happy, but you can't be a centerpiece of a top team if you're not an unquestionably top player. So far Milner hasn't shown he has what it takes. He might be an upgrade on last season's Gerrard, but certainly not on Gerrard from 2 years ago or earlier.

Mods, can we move this Milner discussion into a new thread, please? Starting with Dirty Sanchez's post.

Last edited:
Milner is the furthest running player in the Premiership this season. Herr Klopp is gonna love him.

Not every player is going to go out there and set fireworks off, though. You need the steady Eddies too, and Milner's versatile as well. With Henderson out, and not a lot of other midfielders pulling up trees, I strongly suspect we'd be even further off the pace without Milner in the side.
Quite. Every Utd side that's won titles has had one or two players who were nothing more than consistently good & reliable.

If Can continues staking his claim as an essential part of the new "spine" of the team under Klopp, then by the time Henderson returns Milner might find himself on the fringes again, being asked to rotate and to cover different positions here and there just like he was at Man City. I'm fairly certain Klopp will absolutely LOVE Hendo, so if Can establishes himself there simply won't be room in the first team for Milner.

He won't be happy, but you can't be a centerpiece of a top team if you're not an unquestionably top player. So far Milner hasn't shown he has what it takes. He might be an upgrade on last season's Gerrard, but certainly not on Gerrard from 2 years ago or earlier.

Mods, can we move this Milner discussion into a new thread, please? Starting with Dirty Sanchez's post.

They will all start and Milner will wind up on the right.

Don't think Klopp is too impressed by Allen. He was all over the place yesterday. Made Lucas look world class.

Rurik: there aren't going to be many who would meet that criterion, are there? It may well be that Milner will play fewer games if Can maintains his improvement and Henderson gets his place back, but we're still going to need options for those positions as much as for the rest.

Rurik: there aren't going to be many who would meet that criterion, are there? It may well be that Milner will play fewer games if Can maintains his improvement and Henderson gets his place back, but we're still going to need options for those positions as much as for the rest.

That's what I'm saying. Milner is certainly a good OPTION and there is no question that he will get plenty of playing time under Klopp. He fits the style and everything. But he came here because he was tired to be used as an option at Man City, he wanted to be our Yaya Toure. Instead, I suspect he will end up with only slightly more important role than he had in Man City.

Don't think Klopp is too impressed by Allen. He was all over the place yesterday. Made Lucas look world class.

I agree. Allen tends to slow the game down, which is the opposite of what Klopp wants from his midfielders.

Rurik: perhaps, but I didn't actually get the impression that it was simply being used as an option which made Milner want to leave. The reports I read were saying that he left because he got fed up with being asked to play wide a lot of the time, and I don't see that happening at LFC on a regular basis.

Rurik: perhaps, but I didn't actually get the impression that it was simply being used as an option which made Milner want to leave. The reports I read were saying that he left because he got fed up with being asked to play wide a lot of the time, and I don't see that happening at LFC on a regular basis.

Really? I thought it was more a lack of a defined position and role, being used as jack-of-all-trades and hole-plugger. I'm sure he would have stayed if he had a consistent position, even is it was on the right of the front 3.

Will Klopp use him on the wing? I don't know, he might – but we have more talented wingers in the team. I'm more inclined to think Milner will be our Sebastian Kehl, starting in the middle, but not in every game, and gradually losing his minutes to a young Turkish talent. And (unlike Kehl) he will occasionally be asked to play on the wing.

Last edited:
Quite. Every Utd side that's won titles has had one or two players who were nothing more than consistently good & reliable.

Yeah. Just like all the best Liverpool teams. Always one or two like that.

Liverpool 5 - Forest 0

That team had Nigel Spackman in it.

I think its pretty unfair to say Milner hasnt got what it takes after being integral in City team winning the league twice.
He looks like he tries to hard to compensate for how poor we've been.
He'll improve as the team improves. Quality player. No doubt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom