• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Pre Match - Brentford (H) - Sun 14:00

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you really think he doesnt care? If so then its pointless to discuss this.

No, I don't think he 'doesn't care'.

Your turn. Do you really think that he's given his all, week in, week out, this season? Especially when asked to defend..?

Virgil this season:
0 dribble past so far is a pick out. Wasn’t he dine for pace a few times last season by this point?

2391cc06f32c7c2d4877bdcf426c61f4.jpg

Compare this with Ruben Dias, who already has 2. Yes a small snapshot I know but promising that Virgil can still perform…

No, I don't think he 'doesn't care'.

Your turn. Do you really think that he's given his all, week in, week out, this season? Especially when asked to defend..?

Strange wording here. That has to be said.

I think he has given his all and you can't fault his effort. But you can fault him for not being good enough tactically in terms of his new role, being switched off in certain situations and sometimes looking like he's not ready when the game starts. Being a bit over confident and nonchalant.
Thats all issues that Klopp and the coaches can and have worked on. Its got nothing to do with his commitment or effort imho.
However I also think he gets a lot of stick for leaving space behind him when going forward or inverting to midfield - when this is what Klopp actually wants him to do. Its all about the team working together and our new midfield settling in. Liverpool 2.0 is a work in progress and when its not working it can look a bit silly.

Being a local lad and at the club since the age of 6 I would find it very weird to believe that this club, fans and doing well in games doesnt mean everything to him. He's improved and taken more responsibility after being made vice captain as well imho.

What's so strange about how I've worded the question? He's a fullback, who clearly hates defending.

Respectfully, if barely breaking into a jog to get back and help when we're under pressure or if not even looking for your man at the back post all too often is giving your all, then we simply have different expectations of the players...

Millie also hated being a fullback - Think Trent tries as hard as he always did?

You still havent answered the questions. I havent said there isnt an issue that Klopp needs to work on regarding tactics and team set up etc.
I've said the issue isnt the player, Trent.
Yes I did. You just don't want to hear it. Trent goes back to being an attacking RB - can you imagine Darwin on the end of those crosses from the wing (yes he'll miss some)? And how the extra width will benefit us (see Luton for starters).

The problem last season was a very pedestrian Hendo & Fabs and an Elliott that was tactically naive (to be expected). This season we have box to box Szobo and a more mobile Ali-Mac in addition to the RCB. So 3 people capable of covering Trent when he's on the attack in the final third. Cover last season was the issue because of our aging midfield. It shouldn't be now.

Virgil this season:
0 dribble past so far is a pick out. Wasn’t he dine for pace a few times last season by this point?

2391cc06f32c7c2d4877bdcf426c61f4.jpg

Compare this with Ruben Dias, who already has 2. Yes a small snapshot I know but promising that Virgil can still perform…
Absolutely outstanding. And it should be noted that even those two stats that are in the Red are not because he's poor at them (as the interceptions and ground duels won stats show) but because his style isn't to dive into tackles but use his physical prowess, timing & power to dominate attackers.

What a weird argument. He very clearly hates defending. It would be in our interests to take that responsibility away from him, especially in a system where we don't have midfielders who would naturally drop back to cover his gaps (which also comes back to the Alexis isn't a DM discussion).

What a weird argument. He very clearly hates defending. It would be in our interests to take that responsibility away from him, especially in a system where we don't have midfielders who would naturally drop back to cover his gaps (which also comes back to the Alexis isn't a DM discussion).

How does he hate defending? He prefers attacking in his role but what have we missed? Was there a sound bite out there?

He was still the last man and still willing to cover back on Sunday just in case the ball did go other side of the goal.

What a weird conclusion old chum. If you are a professional footballer then defending must be part and parcel of your game. Taking responsibility away from him isn't a solution. Coaching and encouragement are.

How does he hate defending? He prefers attacking in his role but what have we missed? Was there a sound bite out there?

He was still the last man and still willing to cover back on Sunday just in case the ball did go other side of the goal.
I'm sorry you can't pull out the odd incident and claim this as an example of defending prowess when we all know it's his biggest weakness by far.

From watching us you can see there's a defensive imbalance. I despise the idea of solely using statistics to decide a players worth, as statistics don't give the complete picture.

Just watching Trent you can see he puts in considerably less effort defending than he does attacking. Whether that's because he's thinking how he can start a counter or not I don't know, but you see every single game that his focus isn't on defending, so he gets caught out

I don't want Trent dropped, I just think he's wasting an opportunity to become world class in a position

He to get the head out of his arse, acting entitled, strolling about.
There should be no special treatment.

I can’t fathom how anyone doesn’t see that he thinks he’s too good to play the standard RB role anymore. It’s so clear everytime he plays. Whether it’s detrimental overall to the team time will tell but it’s clear he’s got a chip on his shoulder.

I can’t fathom how anyone doesn’t see that he thinks he’s too good to play the standard RB role anymore. It’s so clear everytime he plays. Whether it’s detrimental overall to the team time will tell but it’s clear he’s got a chip on his shoulder.

He's better in the standard right back role that he currently appears to be in any sort of midfield role.

I actually think we should be trying him out as Salah's deputy in a Bale kinda evolution. His best work happens out on the right flank.

I'm sorry you can't pull out the odd incident and claim this as an example of defending prowess when we all know it's his biggest weakness by far.

Point was an example, not to serve as pinnacle of Trent’s love for defending over 300 games. It was the intent and hunger which was there, I didn’t see any of this with Trent’s defending for the first 5 months last season.

I'm not sure about this hates defending business.

There are very few players that can get away without defending in football these days. Even strikers have to get back and help.

Whether he plays in defence or midfield, he'll have to defend.

If Klopp had any long-term plan to move him into midfield then it would have happened last summer. Trent will get opportunities with England providing he, Bellingham and Rice can find a suitable between them, but as for his Liverpool career, he's just going to have to crack on with it. The hybrid position is obviously a fluid one, but we need to ensure that fluidity is being utilised for the team's needs and not soothing Trent's ego. The issues arise when we're desperate for width and nobody has the sense to provide any. Logically few can argue that asking our assist record-breaking RB to start going back on the overlap when it's required. If the players are not smart or adaptable enough to do it on the pitch, or even after instruction, then we should move back to a more rigid system.

So, you’re convinced that he’s just strolling around making his own positional or application decisions based on personal arrogance or whim, whilst playing for Klopp?…and that Klopp is either blind to the fact or indulges him on a weekly basis, whilst demanding publicly that his main striker, for instance, needs to follow pressing instructions better?

Do you similarly think Stones suddenly decided he was too good to play CB any more and that Pep turns a blind eye, whilst the City fans have to tolerate his arrogance or chip on his shoulder?

And finally, just how difficult in a Klopp system and at the very top level do you imagine it to be to shuffle constantly between RB and a playmaker midfield position?

Good post, and why on earth would Klopp give the vice captaincy to someone that didnt show a good attitude or commitment. Just look at the other players in the captain/leadership group.

So, you’re convinced that he’s just strolling around making his own positional or application decisions based on personal arrogance or whim, whilst playing for Klopp?…and that Klopp is either blind to the fact or indulges him on a weekly basis, whilst demanding publicly that his main striker, for instance, needs to follow pressing instructions better?

Do you similarly think Stones suddenly decided he was too good to play CB any more and that Pep turns a blind eye, whilst the City fans have to tolerate his arrogance or chip on his shoulder?

And finally, just how difficult in a Klopp system and at the very top level do you imagine it to be to shuffle constantly between RB and a playmaker midfield position?
I never said. I said it’s clear his attitude has taken a big turn for the worse on the pitch.

I never said. I said it’s clear his attitude has taken a big turn for the worse on the pitch.
You said it’s clear ‘he thinks he’s too good to play the standard rb role any more’…and that ‘It’s clear he’s got a chip on his shoulder’…

If both points are clear to you then do you really believe Klopp and his team are either blind to this supposed attitude, or bizarrely indulgent in isolation when much of Klopp’s rhetoric is about application and the team spirit / collective mentality?

Its obvious that peoble on this forum can see things much clearer than Klopp and his team can. I'm astonished you even question that fact

we also have eyesight, and can see him faffing about.
for a period earlier, it was that bad, like he had been on the bong.
maybe he holds more sway than we think as his contract is out in 1.5 years?
making him vice captain was also weird

Its obvious that peoble on this forum can see things much clearer than Klopp and his team can. I'm astonished you even question that fact

No bigger fan of Jurgen than me, TB... If I were to have any more kids, they'd be named after him, regardless of sex. Doesn't mean that Trent hasn't been a liability at the back for quite a while now.

Or here we go with the whole “well you said this so that must mean you’re right and Klopp’s wrong”, are you a spastic Tom?

Firstly there’s a reason why we moved him from an attacking RB who overlapped at will to an inverted midfield role in the first place…….because wouldn’t you believe it, there were huge problems with his defensive game against speedy wingers, which fucking surprisingly still exists. Secondly just because Klopp keeps playing him doesn’t mean he’s blind to his weak defending, he’s well aware and just like the rest of us, has seen what a fucking liability he is defensively but clearly he values his creative output far more and he would be right thinking that because no one in the league other than an injured manc has the passing ability he possesses so of course he’s not going to drop him….he’s going to put the onus on other players to fill his void just like Fab and Hendo did all the years prior.

Maybe if you watched our games more often and listened to Klopp’s philosophy and what he expects of his players you’d fucking realise a tad better you silly dunce.

He's better in the standard right back role that he currently appears to be in any sort of midfield role.

I actually think we should be trying him out as Salah's deputy in a Bale kinda evolution. His best work happens out on the right flank.

That's an interesting idea. Not sure what I think of it but merits consideration. Would stifle Doak's development, Mo always plays and we have Dom who can play there, but still....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom