• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Pre Match - Brentford (H) - Sun 14:00

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stones has missed 12 games this season with injuries and 13 games last season, not sure we have such luxury with another RB if he wasn’t fit either.

Nothing wrong with saying he wants to follow parts the game Stones has been good at, I don’t want Trent to become a Stones clone and not sure Klopp does either. He has unique set of abilities which would be wasted of he became so.

That did not raise my hopes of us winning the league this season.
Ok so look at it another way.

The league leaders and favourites are a single point ahead of us, their first 12 games points total in the last 6 seasons would look very similar to ours.

Really it depends if you think it'll take 95+ points to win the league or if it'll be under 90.

2 points better off at this stage than in 21/22 season when we lost it by a point.

Quietly had a good game again bar a few defensive hick ups. And even though he didnt register a goal or assist in this game (the assists are extremely important to some), we dont score that 1-0 goal without his brilliant pass to Nunez. Arguably the best passer of the ball in the league and much better defensively this season. His form is on the up. Great to see.

Spurs wer
Dunno about that. Spurs were all over them with nine men until the last phase of that game.
Still, way too much money and talent in the squad and manager for them not to come good at some point.
Spurs were all over them for the 1st 10 minutes after that Chelsea were by far the better side... They should have been at least level by the time spurs went down to 10 men

I don't think we're good enough to win the league. Mainly because of the Trent thing which criminally still hasn't been resolved. It's a problem in the small games, but as far as percentages go we more often than not get away with it, his pros outweigh his cons in terms of forward play against the lesser sides.

In the big games though it's generally always an issue, either directly or indirectly via other players being all over the place because of the disruption of having what's arguably a luxury position unbalancing the rest of the side.

He needed to move into midfield years ago and we could have trained him into the role and how to be disciplined while still providing the threat he does, he showed it in flashes last season. Our issue is, without a fully fit and "switched on" Konate covering the gaps, we don't really have the players to play that system well, it's easy to exploit and if you put in some quality players to target it, you're going to suffer. Alisson bailed us out at the weekend, put him one on one with a Foden or Haaland and it's more likely to result in a goal. We're playing the percentage game all the time with Trent and hoping too many things come together for us to get away with it.

Personally against City, I'd put Gomez at right back. I'm just not sure you can leave Trent out, but then THAT'S the problem, still. I'd go solid in midfield though with Szobo, Endo and Macca, with pace on the break in Jota, Salah and Nunez.

We wont win the league because of Trent? This is what we have won with him as right back;

There is nothing that suggests that we cant win silverware again with him playing in the same position going forward.
If it happens this season, well, thats another question. But Liverpool 2.0 under Klopp could easily win something with Trent playing in the same position that he has now played 300 games in. 300.

We wont win the league because of Trent? This is what we have won with him as right back;

There is nothing that suggests that we cant win silverware again with him playing in the same position going forward.
If it happens this season, well, thats another question. But Liverpool 2.0 under Klopp could easily win something with Trent playing in the same position that he has now played 300 games in. 300.

Not because of, but because we're persevering with him in a system that's reliant on too many factors going for us. I'd say him being exposed and putting in lesser performances has increased over the last few years. I don't need to be told what a player he is and what we've won with him, but that doesn't mean he doesn't have flaws that can be sorted out too, or that it won't cost us, because it will. I didn't say we won't win anything, I said we won't win the league this season, we're not good enough to.

Way to get all hysterical and CDNW by picking out the parts that suit your point and overplaying it. Did I say we won't win silverware again with him? No I didn't.

Its got nothing to do with being hysterical or CDNW. Its just wrong to focus on Trent as some sort of sole issue that needs to be replaced before we can move forward. Moving into midfield as a starting position is also a tiring debate.

We've conceded the least amount of goals in the league so far this season, btw. With him at right back.
And there are only 3 teams in the league with better defensive stats then us so far even though we have received 4 red cards in 12 games.

Its better to focus on developing the team and tactics to suit the World class players we have, and improve in other positions like signing an additional midfielder to play as a 6 and a defender that can play as an LCB.
At the same time we continue to develop Trent. His defending has been much better this season but that doesnt get enough praise imho.

And when was the last trophy then (and positionally what was Trent playing as then)? And what does that drop off neatly coincide with (not at all suggesting it's down to that alone)?

It's extremely misleading to mention 300 games because playing as an attacking RB and an inverted RB/CM couldn't be more different and as per the stat I put up before he's had a lot more assists as an attacking RB (I'm not sure how many as RB/CM but I'm guessing it's less than 40 out of that 300).

BTW even with him playing this inverted role I still fancy us to win 2-3 trophies this season. But we would be stronger still if we could just sort out that RB role.

I don't see any evidence of a plan to shift TAA to midfield in the short to medium term, which suggests it'll never happen.

And when was the last trophy then (and positionally what was Trent playing as then)? And what does that drop off neatly coincide with (not at all suggesting it's down to that alone)?

It's extremely misleading to mention 300 games because playing as an attacking RB and an inverted RB/CM couldn't be more different and as per the stat I put up before he's had a lot more assists as an attacking RB (I'm not sure how many as RB/CM but I'm guessing it's less than 40 out of that 300).

BTW even with him playing this inverted role I still fancy us to win 2-3 trophies this season. But we would be stronger still if we could just sort out that RB role.

Our up turn in form last season came when Klopp shifted his role to being an inverted fullback. Our form this season is even better and we just rebuilt our entire midfield.

"Sort out the RB role", to what then? What would you do that Klopp hasnt done? And how would that make us stronger?

"Trent at RB is the problem". Show me another right back in the World who can do this:

I find it staggering that people doesnt want to continue to develop him further at 25 years old and let Klopp work his magic with Liverpool 2.0.
Each to their own I guess.

Tbf some of our best performances this season came with Trent injured. Gomez was very good for a decent amount of games and brought balance. He tried inverting, but would usually stick to the side

"Trent at RB is the problem". Show me another right back in the World who can do this:

I find it staggering that people doesnt want to continue to develop him further at 25 years old and let Klopp work his magic with Liverpool 2.0.

I think it's more a matter of Trent wanting to develop into a RB, rather than a midfielder, as that's where he was at his best

Our up turn in form last season came when Klopp shifted his role to being an inverted fullback. Our form this season is even better and we just rebuilt our entire midfield.

"Sort out the RB role", to what then? What would you do that Klopp hasnt done? And how would that make us stronger?

For me our upturn happened because Trent actually started to try when he was inverted. All season he had been abject

I think it's more a matter of Trent wanting to develop into a RB, rather than a midfielder, as that's where he was at his best

He's still an RB, will continue to be an RB and will develop further as an RB.

He's still an RB, will continue to be an RB and will develop further as an RB.
Not when we're setting the focus of him going to midfield when we're on possession. He was at his best when hugging the touchline.

He needs to focus on the defensive aspect of the game and train that facet of his game

If you can't see there is an issue (as virtually every commentator mentions - and they are not wrong) then you are blinding yourself to the truth with a Dreamy-like Ange love in.

I find it staggering you are oblivious to what people are actually saying and are putting your own weird twist on it.

Not when we're setting the focus of him going to midfield when we're on possession. He was at his best when hugging the touchline.

He needs to focus on the defensive aspect of the game and train that facet of his game
This. So much this.

I can understand an experiment to try to make better use of Trent's incredible passing range, I was all for it too in the end (because we were all exasperated with his defensive lapses), but so far it's not working out as expected and in turn we have lost a large portion of his attacking contribution from RB. That part where he would hug the touchline and put in passes that tore defences to shreds. It's made us a far narrower team that is easier to play against (and only the improvements in personnel in midfield and attack have papered over this).

If you can't see there is an issue (as virtually every commentator mentions - and they are not wrong) then you are blinding yourself to the truth with a Dreamy-like Ange love in.

You still havent answered the questions. I havent said there isnt an issue that Klopp needs to work on regarding tactics and team set up etc.
I've said the issue isnt the player, Trent.

You still havent answered the questions. I havent said there isnt an issue that Klopp needs to work on regarding tactics and team set up etc.
I've said the issue isnt the player, Trent.

So, the fact that he's not looked like he give a flying f@#! in many of these matches isn't an issue..?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom