• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Pre Match - Fulham (H) - EFL Semi - Weds 20:00

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't imagine there will be much rotation. We got a good break after this game so klopp will want to win this in the first leg if possible. Only players that will come in are jota and van dijk(if fit). I really hope he doesn't start gakpo in midfield again

He’s starting position is as a right back.
He’ll start there.

I dont know why people need to make this so difficult. His attacking numbers are top for all full backs and top 5 for all players. From a starting position as a RB. We as a team are flying with the current set up. Keep it. Stop trying to reinvent something just for the sake of it mid season.
We have the option to move him around late in games if needed. Keep that option.

In this instance it is about learning from how Fulham played against us, and iterating to stop that from happening again. You seem quite pigheaded to watching what actually happens on the pitch versus just reading some stats and taking them at face value.

He probably will start at RB, and he will probably be moved to CM with a RB brought on after Fulham target us down the flanks again.

We are flying every time we move Trent into the middle, you are right. And were flying when we had an actual DM at DM ;)

Last edited:
In this instance it is about learning from how Fulham played against us, and iterating to stop that from happening again. You seem quite pigheaded and watching what actually happens on the pitch versus just reading some stats and taking them at face value.

He probably will start at RB, and he will probably be moved to CM with a RB brought on after Fulham target us down the flanks again.

We are flying every time we move Trent into the middle, you are right. And were flying when we had an actual DM at DM ;)

That’s the gamble though - they target us out wide, that gives us an overload through the centre and it all boils down to who has the most firepower, takes their chances and defends better.

He’s starting position is as a right back.
He’ll start there.

I dont know why people need to make this so difficult. His attacking numbers are top for all full backs and top 5 for all players. From a starting position as a RB. We as a team are flying with the current set up. Keep it. Stop trying to reinvent something just for the sake of it mid season.
We have the option to move him around late in games if needed. Keep that option.

Crazy thought, but maybe the option of moving Trent to midfield later on in games works so well because Trent is actually better in midfield?

Crazy thought, but maybe the option of moving Trent to midfield later on in games works so well because Trent is actually better in midfield?

Here is a crazy thought. Where has Klopp and his team of coaches played him? Over 300 games at right back? Not in midfeld? Maybe its because thats where he is at his best.

Here is a crazy thought. Where has Klopp and his team of coaches played him? Over 300 games at right back? Not in midfeld? Maybe its because thats where he is at his best.
Players mature and adapt, it takes time. Trent has expressed that he likes playing in midfield and he plays there for England. So Klopp gives him a chance to play there, what's the big deal?

Players mature and adapt, it takes time. Trent has expressed that he likes playing in midfield and he plays there for England. So Klopp gives him a chance to play there, what's the big deal?

It does feel a bit more of a "when" he moves to midfield, rather than an "if". Klopp giving him the chance to play there from 70+minutes in games and he's dictating the play, really makes it more difficult long term you'd think for klopp to ignore it.

Add in Bradley looked a star last night, and has had rave reviews from his loan last year.... how long can we continue?

Yes that might be true. Also, it might not.

I'm not dead against him remaining as a RB first, I just think trying him as midfielder isn't crazy either.

It does feel a bit more of a "when" he moves to midfield, rather than an "if". Klopp giving him the chance to play there from 70+minutes in games and he's dictating the play, really makes it more difficult long term you'd think for klopp to ignore it.

Add in Bradley looked a star last night, and has had rave reviews from his loan last year.... how long can we continue?

Bradley looks really promising.

Tbh my main reservation around moving Trent is exactly where that leaves Szobozslai. Can he play more to the left?

Or, craziest of crazy thoughts - could Trent actually replace Salah??

Tbh my main reservation around moving Trent is exactly where that leaves Szobozslai. Can he play more to the left?

I still think Szob could replace salah. Hes got the pace, vision, strength, dribbling, to be a success on the wing

Also depends if salah actually goes though.

Szobo actually played in that position for Leipzig and Salzburg before so it's not exactly foreign territory for him. It also gives him more opportunities to shoot.
The question for me is, what do we do with Macca then? Is he a DM now?
Not only him, but Jones, Gravenberch, Elliott and maybe Morton next season.
Klopp will have a selection headache and someone is going to be disappointed.
I'm not sure Klopp planned for Trent to play in midfield this season. Otherwise we wouldn't have bought so many midfielders.

For the time being I want Trent to continue as first choice RB until Bradley proves himself or Klopp gets his preferred RB.

The best thing for Morton would be to stay with Hull for another season.

Yes that might be true. Also, it might not.

I'm not dead against him remaining as a RB first, I just think trying him as midfielder isn't crazy either.

Yeah, a move to midfield feels like it will happen at some point. Might be best to do it during pre season and when we have the right back we want in place as well.

I still think Szob could replace salah. Hes got the pace, vision, strength, dribbling, to be a success on the wing

You think? I agree that Szobo is a good option but do you mean like a permanent replacement? I'm not sure.
I'd like a left footed player.

You think? I agree that Szobo is a good option but do you mean like a permanent replacement? I'm not sure.
I'd like a left footed player.

Depends if we want to carbon copy how we played with salah. A right footer (although quite 2 footed) could work wonders

I wonder if Arteta’s 4-2-2-2 that caused us so many problems in the first half yesterday would inspire Klopp to try a double-pivot in midfield. Trent and Macca or Endo could be a good partnership and we have lots of players for the #8/10 roles on both sides.

I’ve been banging this drum for quite a while.

Last edited:
I wonder if Arteta’s 4-2-2-2 that caused us so many problems in the first half yesterday would inspire Klopp to try a double-pivot in midfield. Trent and Macca or Endo could be a good partnership and we have lots of players for the #8/#10 roles on both sides.

Yep, I think this would be good as Macca looks like he works best with a buddy, and I think Trent would too.

I'd absolutely have Trent & Mac with a Curtis/Elliot/Szob ahead of them. When Endo is back that allows him to be solo DM and you can have something more progressive ahead of him (which could be the same people e.g. Endo DM and Mac, Trent, Szob, Jones, Gravy CM).

Agreed there is a selection headache, but at the end of the day we should put players in the positions that make us more likely to win. What we're seeing (from a small sample size) is that we win games when we move Trent into the middle with someone else at RB.

I wonder if Arteta’s 4-2-2-2 that caused us so many problems in the first half yesterday would inspire Klopp to try a double-pivot in midfield. Trent and Macca or Endo could be a good partnership and we have lots of players for the #8/10 roles on both sides.

I'd love to try a 4 -2 -2 -2 tbf.

I doubt it but he might change our set up for the next away game there in February given how we changed things around at half time and took control in the 2nd half.

Sure he has played there successfully before in the past too

Why don't we approach this game the way we lined up against West Ham. We had the same fears before the game but they never had a chance

I thought the played 433 yesterday with Neilson & Saka out wide and Harvertz as a pretend 9 or whatever you’d call whoever’s so shit at being a striker.

The thing that we struggle with is their very aggressive press - we couldn’t get through it often and they were right in on us - you could see us just lacking that little bit of composure and we played a lot of dangerous passes that allowed Arsenal to nick in and take the ball.

Last edited:
On the whole Trent in midfield thing - I mean he’s effect playing there now in the hybrid - if he moves there permanently he’s either replacing Endo or Slobbers - neither of which I’d be a particular fan of.

It depends how much you think the hybrid role is purely for Trent or to solve other problems while making use of Trent’s unique abilities as a RB.

For me it’s the latter.

I thought the played 433 yesterday with Neilson & Saka out wide and Harvertz as a pretend 9 or whatever you’d call whoever’s so shit at being a striker.

The thing that we struggle with is their very aggressive press - we could get through it often and they were right in on us - you could see us just lacking that little bit of composure and we played a lot of dangerous passes that allowed Arsenal to nick in and take the ball.
Yeah that's what I saw too. Nelson and Saka were wide all day (and Martinelli when he came on) with Havertz dawdling along in the #10 slot.

Yeah that's what I saw too. Nelson and Saka were wide all day (and Martinelli when he came on) with Havertz dawdling along in the #10 slot.

Klopp described it as 4-2-2-2 with Odegaard and Havertz playing as two #10's and said he didn't quite prepare the team for Arsenal's change of system. His half-time changes were spot-on though. Here's an in-depth video on the tactics of that game that's well worth watching:

Last edited:
Klopp described it as 4-2-2-2 with Odegaard and Havertz playing as two #10's and said he didn't quite prepare the team for Arsenal's change of system. His half-time changes were spot-on though. Here's an in-depth video on the tactics of that game that's well worth watching:

Good video - I guess they set up 4222 out of possession and then more like a 433 in possession, whereas we’re 433 out of possession moving to a 3223 in possession.

It just shows you how important pressing, progression and transition are in the current game.

Salah ain’t going anywhere for 5 years dickheads! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom