• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Pre Match - Man Utd (a) - Sun 16:30

Status
Not open for further replies.
In a sense we didn't play all that well. Watched the 90 back and it's amazing how bad they were in defense but our defence also made some strange mistakes and our midfield lost the ball a notable amount of times.
Obv on the other hand, we pressed the shit out of them and scored 5 great team goals and fully deserved the result, but it was less one sided to me than the result indicates.
Between the second and third goals they were well in the game without cutting us open.

In a sense we didn't play all that well. Watched the 90 back and it's amazing how bad they were in defense but our defence also made some strange mistakes and our midfield lost the ball a notable amount of times.
Obv on the other hand, we pressed the shit out of them and scored 5 great team goals and fully deserved the result, but it was less one sided to me than the result indicates.

There was a 15-20 min spell in the first half when we were 2 up that they started to apply some pressure and we looked in danger of conceding. Our midfield is in trouble once it gets turned because Hendo and Milner don't really have any recovery pace onec the play has moved past them. Fortunately we weathered that storm and Utd simply imploded.

Our front 4 were brilliant at forcing errors and creating doubt in their defence but they were dreadful individually and as a unit. That was a catastrophic level of disorganization. I can only assume the players are no longer listening to the coaches anymore because that wasn't some complex tactical wizardry we executed, or a virtuoso attacking performance that was unstoppable. We just applied pressure and they collapsed.

We've seen this before under Solskjaer. They conceded 6 against Spurs last year, Everton battered the 4-0, they shipped 4 at Leicester last week. There is no spine to that team, when they get turned over they can get run ragged.

FCernpwX0AUF4ie.jpg

Yeah he got very lucky

Watched it a couple of times again I believe that the ref bottles it.
Had it been any other Man Utd player than Ronaldo they are gone.
https://www.si.com/soccer/liverpool...pp-speaks-about-the-ronaldo-red-card-incident

Author Verdict

It should've been a red card. Simple as. Anthony Taylor probably didn't want to ruin the mood of the game but as professional, Ronaldo shouldn't of done that.
He also kicked the ball which made it an easier decision for the referees but still, red card in my books.

It is violent conduct regardless of of him not making contact with Jones

Yeah, that felt significant. Ronaldo is used to feeling like the top dog, but here he was literally shoved out of the way. Did score a nice goal though, fortunately it was offside.
I love how the tables have turned. Man U used to have Keane and Ferdinand as their hard men on the pitch and now look at them.

Pretty interesting video imo, highlighting the mistakes made by Man U:

Isn't it apparent? They just have too many attackers on the pitch. Everything to accommodate Ronaldo.

They need to play with two defensive midfielders in order for that to work.
Also their wingers aren't really winger like Mane and Salah. They're actually strikers. I'm talking about Rashford and Greenwood.

That might work if it were happening within a set-up which was at ease with itself. For example both City and England often play Foden wide and that's not his position but, when things are going well around them, players can actually enjoy doing something different at least for a while. By contrast ManUre are currently all over the place and it's hard enough for players in their right positions to do well, let alone when they're being shoehorned into the side out of position because that's all they've got.

They do play two DMs though, don't they? Their problem is partly the above and partly that Fred's best position would be tea lady.

The look on his face as he brushed Fred's and Fernandes' handbags off reminded me of that line from "The Wire": "You come at the king, you best not miss."

The more you watch it the more you realise how utterly sublime it was (and no it wasn't Maguire's error as some intimated, he was simply a bystander as the ball went around him).

The poll comparing that to Mo's should be a slam dunk. Wonderful pass though Mo's was Hendo's is simply out of this world. Is there an award for pass of the season? That has to be it, even after just 9 games.

That might work if it were happening within a set-up which was at ease with itself. For example both City and England often play Foden wide and that's not his position but, when things are going well around them, players can actually enjoy doing something different at least for a while. By contrast ManUre are currently all over the place and it's hard enough for players in their right positions to do well, let alone when they're being shoehorned into the side out of position because that's all they've got.

They do play two DMs though, don't they? Their problem is partly the above and partly that Fred's best position would be tea lady.
Yeah but, McTominay isn't really a DM is he? I'm thinking more like Kante and Jorginho.
But like I said, it's also the fact that Greenwood and Rashford are basically strikers playing on the wing.

Last edited:
The more you watch it the more you realise how utterly sublime it was (and no it wasn't Maguire's error as some intimated, he was simply a bystander as the ball went around him).

The poll comparing that to Mo's should be a slam dunk. Wonderful pass though Mo's was Hendo's is simply out of this world. Is there an award for pass of the season? That has to be it, even after just 9 games.
Micah Richards rightly pointed out that if De Bruyne had made that pass everyone would be raving about it. It only appears to be us doing so.

If Mo Salah was a Utd player it would have been a draw

Gerrard's pass to Studge or HEndo's?

Gerrard's pass to Studge or HEndo's?

I remember one from Alonso. Where he just turned in our half and in that motion executed the pass. I think Garcia scored the goal.

I think Gerrard's assist was slightly better. Utd were on the back foot, backtracking for Henderson assist. Gerrard's assist was through a more crowded defense. Anyways, two sublime assists.

I remember one from Alonso. Where he just turned in our half and in that motion executed the pass. I think Garcia scored the goal.

I think Gerrard's assist was slightly better. Utd were on the back foot, backtracking for Henderson assist. Gerrard's assist was through a more crowded defense. Anyways, two sublime assists.

hhhhhmmmm share it - i keep on thinking sunderland but my memory is shit nowadays (thankfully i remember my children's names ... much easier job than mark's mind you)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom