• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Pre Match - Newcastle (a) - Sun 16:30

Status
Not open for further replies.
The illusion that nunez would struggle against a low block is baffling to me. He might not be able to counter with pace, but he's decent in the air, physically strong, twinkle toes, and has a rifle of a shot. He'll struggle no more than any top tier 9 would

I've always maintained that as a team, we don't play to a true 9's strengths. Hopefully that will happen this season

We struggled against a low block with bobby as the false 9 as well. Moreso with gakpo as the false 9 as he's not as good as bobby.

The illusion that nunez would struggle against a low block is baffling to me. He might not be able to counter with pace, but he's decent in the air, physically strong, twinkle toes, and has a rifle of a shot. He'll struggle no more than any top tier 9 would

I've always maintained that as a team, we don't play to a true 9's strengths. Hopefully that will happen this season

We struggled against a low block with bobby as the false 9 as well. Moreso with gakpo as the false 9 as he's not as good as bobby.
Proof of this pudding is the sheer number of Nunez' goals that came from within the 6m box (I've posted this before but can't be arsed searching again - 50% perhaps)?

Last edited:

I agree, the reason why we struggled with the low-block before was because our focus of attack was through the wings (Mane/Salah).
We've now got Szobo and Macca in the middle. We've also got more direct strikers. Try the low block and Szobo will hurt you. Look at Jota's goal against Bournemouth.

Last edited:

His close control and first touch isn’t amazing though which was strongly highlighted before we bought him.

The dubious benefits of VAR are nowhere near enough to outweigh the losses, and this is the greatest one- that concern about celebrating a goal is a goal. Is it really worth it for the odd mistaken offside call or handball that the ref never spotted. Nah, fuck it off.

Completely disagree.

I'd put up with every aspect of how VAR fails just to watch Richarlison make a twat of himself and get yellow carded for removing his shirt, only for it to be called back.

Yep it's a 2 game ban. We are lucky it's not a 3 game ban for a straight red these days.

Or it'd have been a 4 game ban.

Virgil lost his head literally.

Hopefully he's not getting more than one extra game. We all know he's getting at least one though. Doesnt matter what he responds to the charges.

His close control and first touch isn’t amazing though which was strongly highlighted before we bought him.
Neither was Torres’s when we bought. Benitez said that last season and Liverpool coaching staff had to work on that. I expect the current staff to do that with Nūnez, too.

No issues with the red card (Isak was clean through if not for the foul) and no issues with an additional game tacked onto the suspension... Virgil was an utter wanker to the ref (it looked like he was threatening him, FFS) and to the 4th official. He's always been an arrogant bollox, but his performances used to make up for that - Sadly, they just haven't done so since the assault.

Yep it's a 2 game ban. We are lucky it's not a 3 game ban for a straight red these days.

Or it'd have been a 4 game ban.

Virgil lost his head literally.

P919504

Last edited:
Local radio reporting Virgil's ban will likely be extended due to being charged for refusing to leave the pitch and remonstrating with the 4th official.

He brought it on himself. The referee was an inconsistent bellend, I agree, but van Dijk should have walked.

I really feel that PGMOL want to throw every bit of shit our way, and yet we are, as a club, as nice as pie to them

A linesman elbows Robbo in the face, Liverpool help make nothing out of it and the furore goes away; a week later Klopp loses his shit on the touchline and the book is thrown at him

We have man wrongly sent off and have to play 30 mins with 10 men - PGMOL admits it was wrong and rescinds the ban, but where is the apology for the match impact? A week later Virgil reacts passionately to a decision he disagrees with and the book is thrown at him.

If they are on a mission, maybe we should be fighting back - no, we wont brush assault on our players by match officials under the carpet, we will demand an abject apology when a clearly incorrect red card was given by an on field official and approved by a VAR, we will point out that the ridiculous yellow card on Trent when he was fouled and then gently rolled the ball back onto the pitch contributed in part to his mind state that led to him nearly getting sent off & then gifting the chance to Newcastle.

Anger is an energy, fuck them!

Here's the reason why he shouldn't get a ban.

Hasn't been sent off in 7 years. Terrific record. Yes he was wrong. He's sorry, not used to getting sent off. Won't happen again.

Virgil was wrong and ultimately his treatment of the referee needs stamping out of the game.

it's tough to not think there's a 'conspiracy' against us ... where's dantes when we need him?

I generally haven't bought such theories in the past (though there have been individual referees with a "clear and obvious" LFC agenda, especially that ponce David Elleray) but I have to admit the way this season's shaping up is making me wonder as well.

I remember klopp asking about where the money from fines went last year.

Does anyone know where it does go?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom