• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Pre season 21/22 season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes he was. I wasn't as surprised by his good distribution as some on here seem to have been - it's stood out in quite a few of the clips of his I've seen before. He's a monster for sure, but he can definitely play.

Apologies, I'm a bit lost here. Are you referring to Konate or Curtis?

Yes he was. I wasn't as surprised by his good distribution as some on here seem to have been - it's stood out in quite a few of the clips of his I've seen before. He's a monster for sure, but he can definitely play.
Yep pretty much all the clips I watched of Konate showed that his passing is VvD-esque and no surprise at all to see it. It bodes well because we have missed VvD's 50m passes to either wing stretching the game out.

There was an incident at the game yesterday where he was backed into our 5 yard line with two attackers in him and faced towards our goal. Shielded the ball, turned and then pinged a Virgilesque ball to the right end of the field where either Trent or Salah I think it was could counter attack.
It was a OMG moment for sure.

That said, both Minamino and Ox (even thought they scored a goal each), really struggled in that false 9 position. Ox was a bit better when he dropped deeper, but Minamino struggled to have an impact and is just to lightweight to keep the ball up against centre backs.
No rhythm and lets be honest not much of a goal threat besides the tap in after great work by Salah.

Its imperative for our season that we sign a forward. Its such a big need its a big gaping hole.

The only other option is that Jota plays this role, but that means we would need a good wide forward to join the ranks.

The only other option is that Jota plays this role, but that means we would need a good wide forward to join the ranks.

Yes, thats an option. Jota is probably more effective in the other roles and positions though. But he has the ability to play there.

Manchester United have been forced to postpone their friendly against Preston North End on Saturday following a Covid outbreak. It is understood there are up to nine positive cases.
Tests carried out following Wednesday's friendly match with Brentford - which was played in front of 30,000 supporters, revealed a small number of positive cases among Ole Gunnar Solskjaer's players and staff.
The initial lateral flow test alerted the club's medical team to the outbreak although results from the more accurate and in-depth PCR tests are still to be collated.

Several other teams have been troubled with positive cases as well.

Yes, thats an option. Jota is probably more effective in the other roles and positions though. But he has the ability to play there.

I don't agree about Jota being more effective in the other positions. When I've watched him he's actually performed at his best starting in the centre, so I'd be quite happy for him to go on doing so. That said, whichever front three we pick don't stick to static positions during any given game anyway.

I’d like Jota to play in a position where he can get in and around the 6 yard box. I think he’s out most consistent player in that area.

Do we think at this stage that it is a safe assumption that those still not back in training won't start the first game? If so that means we'll be without Ali, Fabinho, Thiago, Hendo and Firmino.

Would particularly like to ensure that Ali is back soon, and I think match minutes are less important than for outfielders.

Feels we could have a solid back 4, great front 3 and a bit of an experimental midfield.

I think Henderson will cut his holidays short. He had a very stop start season last season so would be fairly rested. Thiago could be back next week.

Ali could rock up on the day of the Norwich game and be first name on the team sheet.

I'd be less worried about the midfield if Fabinho was part of it. Feels like it could be Milner & Naby in there, which could fine as long as there is a DM.

Virgil and Joe weren't shite when they came on, by the way... They looked rusty and a little hesitant at times (Virgil never misses that tackle for the 4th goal, if he's 100% confident in himself), but overall, they looked fine. Work is still needed, but almost all signs were positive for me.

I was less impressed with Curtis when he came on, though... Did some positive stuff early, but also gave three or four awful, hospital passes to a teammate, and faded badly as the game worn on, for me. Of course, at the end, our attacking 6 was made up of 9 year olds, so that must be factored in as well.

Virgil and Joe weren't shite when they came on, by the way... They looked rusty and a little hesitant at times (Virgil never misses that tackle for the 4th goal, if he's 100% confident in himself), but overall, they looked fine. Work is still needed, but almost all signs were positive for me.

I was less impressed with Curtis when he came on, though... Did some positive stuff early, but also gave three or four awful, hospital passes to a teammate, and faded badly as the game worn on, for me. Of course, at the end, our attacking 6 was made up of 9 year olds, so that must be factored in as well.

I enjoyed one or two moments with Virgil getting the ball and pinging it into the channel knowing Robbo was already sprinting into that space. We've really missed that outlet.

What fascinates my about Virgil is all the little cute things he does which mean he defends on the first contact a lot of the time and repels attacks.

This little grabs and pulls, the sly nudges here and there. The sharpness in stepping in and being in line with the ball to attack it in the air.

Like it has been said though, he's lacking fitness and probably confidence. I'm not sure he want to stick his foot in that Jovetic tackle. It's understandable why. It's going to take him a few months before trusting himself again when going into tackles.

As for Konate, impressive although I still feel like he needs to understand our play a bit better. He came across FAR too much to help out Kostas for that 2nd goal. In a back 3, the level of over-covering is fine. But in a back 4, he needed to hold back a little but be on the front foot to step in and intercept any player running into that half space.

Feel like that Jovetic cunt scores against us every time he plays against us, regardless of who he plays for

Nah sorry mate, Gomez was shite. He ran like a headless chicken into midfield (actually 3 times if I'm not mistaken, the others not having dire consequences, one was a foul, the other I forget, nothing happened probably) - missed his tackle and they then broke and scored. He put a few passes astray and missed a couple of tackles around our box, including being sat down. However I was not expecting much after 9 months out and none of that should be held against him, likely all due to exuberance at being back on the field - he'll be great in a couple of weeks.

I think Henderson will cut his holidays short. He had a very stop start season last season so would be fairly rested. Thiago could be back next week.

Ali could rock up on the day of the Norwich game and be first name on the team sheet.
He's already back with the squad.

Hmmmm I’m not so sure dreamy.

Anyway, neither will be “alphas” at centre back. Both have huge flaws. Fitness being the main one. I’d ship them both out if it was reasonable to do so.
Gomez is young but ya has had enough injuries already for an entire career.

So everyone back except for Hendo? Nice to see we're getting a decent pre season in for so many players. Will be interesting to see the intensity we start at - whether we go full throttle at the start or whether the coaches want to slowly build so that we have more in the tank come the second half of the season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom