• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Rodgers on Transfers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Glen C

Well-Known
BR: My remaining transfer hopes

3rd Jul 2013 - Latest News​
Brendan Rodgers revealed how he still hoped to add to his squad in the coming months after Kolo Toure became his fourth signing of the summer.
br_%281%29.jpg

Rodgers praised the club's recruitment team for their work in completing a quartet of signings before a ball had been kicked in pre-season.
Iago Aspas, Luis Alberto, Simon Mignolet and Toure all reported for the first day of training on Tuesday - and the boss told Liverpoolfc.com that he was hopeful they wouldn't be the only recruits during the transfer window.
He said: "I still think another attacking, creative player, and depending on what goes out of the club - because naturally there might be one or two players who need to go out and play more - then we'll need to fill those areas that have been vacated.
"Certainly another attacking player will really benefit us, and probably another defender. We'll see how it develops over the course of the next few months."
Rodgers admitted the swift action on transfers was a key strategy for the club this summer.
"It's great - it's a big thing to the club because we looked at last summer and there were lots of things that were difficult for us," he said. "That meant that the opening period of the season was difficult.
"From that we've got all our people involved, our recruitment team in - and they got to work as soon as they came in.
"We brought great signings in in January and that's really helped us. Obviously the plan was to get our signings in as soon as we possibly could - and we still hope to make a few more.
"I'm very happy with the four players I've brought in, and they'll add to the group."

attacking swift player = cerikssn/henrik mould

naturally there might be one or two players who need to go out and play more = suso? raheem? ibe?

We definitely need another central defender, but based on his language, it seems Skittles is staying.

Admittidly i'm a bit disappointed. I thought there was going to be a lot more focus on defenders and was hoping for someone who can impose himself in midfield. Not sure what Rodgers' thinking on this is.

Admittidly i'm a bit disappointed. I thought there was going to be a lot more focus on defenders and was hoping for someone who can impose himself in midfield. Not sure what Rodgers' thinking on this is.

Well he's saying it from the point of view of no further departures. We need a creative midfielder and another defender. If anyone else leaves they'll be replaced, so if Skrtel and/or Coates go, I'm sure he's saying that we'll buy. At this moment in time, adding one defender is sufficient if we keep what we've got.

Well he's saying it from the point of view of no further departures. We need a creative midfielder and another defender. If anyone else leaves they'll be replaced, so if Skrtel and/or Coates go, I'm sure he's saying that we'll buy. At this moment in time, adding one defender is sufficient if we keep what we've got.
But how is it sufficient when he didn't feel it was good enough last season? We all saw how vulnerable we were last season to crosses and set pieces. Im glad we have improved our attack, but surely defence should have been given a higher priority IMO. It seems like Rodgers is gambling on Allen coming good this season.

But how is it sufficient when he didn't feel it was good enough last season? We all saw how vulnerable we were last season to crosses and set pieces. Im glad we have improved our attack, but surely defence should have been given a higher priority IMO. It seems like Rodgers is gambling on Allen coming good this season.

How much can we do in one summer though? Surely adding one more defender, assuming we get it right, is a step towards improvement. We also don't know how much thought he's giving to the likes of Wisdom, Kelly and Robinson. The key areas that needed improving on is bringing in another centre back or two (we've brought in one) and maybe putting pressure on Johnson (Kelly and/or Wisdom might offer this). He's saying he wants to bring in another defender, so what aren't we doing?

The only gripe I've got (and it's still early days) is that we don't seem to be addressing Lucas' position and the lack of competition there - again, if Shelvey goes and Suso goes on loan, we still might.

How much can we do in one summer though? Surely adding one more defender, assuming we get it right, is a step towards improvement. We also don't know how much thought he's giving to the likes of Wisdom, Kelly and Robinson. The key areas that needed improving on is bringing in another centre back or two (we've brought in one) and maybe putting pressure on Johnson (Kelly and/or Wisdom might offer this). He's saying he wants to bring in another defender, so what aren't we doing?

The only gripe I've got (and it's still early days) is that we don't seem to be addressing Lucas' position and the lack of competition there - again, if Shelvey goes and Suso goes on loan, we still might.
Just seems that he's more willing to spend the cash on attack rather than defending. Whether he's talented or not but do we really need albert? That money could have been used on a defender. Mk for £25m? We could have got Belhanda for £9m or Er1ksen for £13m and then used the money to buy competition for lucas. He's reminding me of wenger in that wenger has no problem buying attacking players, but seems to want to buy defensive players on the cheap if at all.

Really hope we have some lined up for the middle who can stick his boot in and pass the ball

I hope we sell Downing and Skrtel and replace them with Papa and Minas Tirith, we'd have had a great summer then. I think you overstate our need for power in midfield, Gerrard isn't exactly small, nor is Henderson, Lucas was only playing at 70% last season, and will be much stronger this season, in the defence, Agger, Enrique, Skrtel and Toure are pretty tough. Our main problem last year was that he played with our tails between our legs to often, and we had no one who could pick the ball up and drive it forward, I think that'll change this season, especially if we sign Minas Tirith.

We certainly lack someone. Henderson went some way to addressing it with his athleticism, but we need a commanding presence in there, and for all of Gerrard's physique, he's not that player regardless of what people keep saying about us shoehorning him in. Personally I'd keep Skrtel, add another defender and buy the attacking midfielder plus an up and coming DM.

Very interesting piece.

I am as always clutching firmly at the straw, hoping that we are indeed still in the race for Erïksen despite the radio silence, and the fact that Rodgers actually describes the attacking player as a creative type has just increased my hopes slightly as Erïksen's easily fits that bill better than Henrikh, who's far more reliant on the creative players to connect with his deep surging runs.

Henrikh will be bought when the Suarez deal is done and dusted, not before.

Erïksen however could still be in the cards. He literally almost just said so himself the gaffer.

*my most blinkered look*

I clicked into this thread and knew you couldn't post without mentioning him

It blows my mind that a top class central defender wasn't the number one priority this summer.

Rodgers is now admitting its his 6th priority.

It blows my mind that a top class central defender wasn't the number one priority this summer.

To be fair, the first person we were seriously linked with was a central defender, maybe that deal went south and it's taking more time.

You really can't blame him though for saying it like he does with both Coates and Skrtel still around, even if it is a great priority which I believe it still is. It would be an amazingly risky gamble should he come out and say so at this stage not knowing if the ones he got can actually be sold on, especially if that is part of the jigsaw.

Should we fail to sell them then he'd have two defenders that both would feel surplus to requirements for at least half a Season with a severely decreased value too.

To be fair, the first person we were seriously linked with was a central defender, maybe that deal went south and it's taking more time.

If we finish this summer with that fat cunt Rolo Toure and some Portuguese 12 year old then I'm gonna eat the Internet.

I think everyone should calm the fuck down. The transfer window has been open for precisely 2 and a half days and we've already signed four players. It shuts in just under two months. I think that should give us time to sign the targets we're after. And if we miss one, we can go after another. They are just footballers, there's fucking loads of them.

I think everyone should calm the fuck down. The transfer window has been open for precisely 2 and a half days and we've already signed four players. It shuts in just under two months. I think that should give us time to sign the targets we're after. And if we miss one, we can go after another. They are just footballers, there's fucking loads of them.
Yeah but pre season training just started.

You're getting to sound like such a frenzied wheeler-dealer you'll have to start wearing brightly-coloured braces.

How can anyone be ok with Ilori, Agger, Toure, and Kelly as our centre halves? Toure's basically past it, just about adequate as experienced back up, Agger is sound but with a terrible injury record, Kelly I don't think has ever played a full game for us in that position, and is also very injury prone, and Ilori is a completely unknown quantity, no more reliable than Coates was when he signed.

We NEED another senior centre half. If that's Skrtel, then so be it, but otherwise it has to be THE biggest single priority.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom