• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Rodgers on Transfers

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think people are going to have to start coming to terms with the fact that Kolo Toure is our #1 centre half this season.

Doubt a defender is down on his priority list.
We've been after Papadopolous for a while now.
Dodgy knee and high asking price is probably why he hasnt signed or will sign.

For all we know a deal could be in place and we're waiting for someone to sign Skrtel.

We've done nearly all our business early on and are actually missing the two quality signings that also will be toughest to negotiate.
Shelvey, Spearing and money from the Ince deal and we're actually -2-3 mill in net spend.
Which leaves us in a great position to get the players we want and with the money to do so.

We've done a great and a couple of quality signings and this window has been excellent.

How can anyone be ok with Ilori, Agger, Toure, and Kelly as our centre halves? Toure's basically past it, just about adequate as experienced back up, Agger is sound but with a terrible injury record, Kelly I don't think has ever played a full game for us in that position, and is also very injury prone, and Ilori is a completely unknown quantity, no more reliable than Coates was when he signed.

We NEED another senior centre half. If that's Skrtel, then so be it, but otherwise it has to be THE biggest single priority.

There's a lot factors I've considered before I wrote that.
First I don't think Suarez is leaving, which means that we won't have a lot cash to throw around.
Second, I think we're signing either Eriksen or Mkhitaryan, it seems to be our main priority.
If the price being touted for the Armenian is right then I don't think we can afford a world class or top class CB.
Kelly sees himself as a CB and I think Rodgers has time to asses his ability to play there during pre season. Sure, Kelly's injury record is worrying but I think these injuries are the result of playing in a position where he has to overexert himself.
Also, unlike many of you I rate Touré and I don't think he's past it. Well he isn't any more past it than Carra was.
Illori can be our Varane, hopefully.

Of course I'd rather we sign someone like Matip, Hummels or Höwedes etc but I just don't think we can afford it.

There's a lot factors I've considered before I wrote that.
First I don't think Suarez is leaving, which means that we won't have a lot cash to throw around.
Second, I think we're signing either Bramble or Mkhitaryan, it seems to be our main priority.
If the price being touted for the Armenian is right then I don't think we can afford a world class or top class CB.
Kelly sees himself as a CB and I think Rodgers has time to asses his ability to play there during pre season. Sure, Kelly's injury record is worrying but I think these injuries are the result of playing in a position where he has to overexert himself.
Also, unlike many of you I rate Touré and I don't think he's past it. Well he isn't any more past it than Carra was.
Illori can be our Varane, hopefully.

Of course I'd rather we sign someone like Matip, Hummels or Höwedes etc but I just don't think we can afford it.

But I'd be unhappy with that situation precisely *because* those areas have been prioritised above a quality centre half! That would be self-inflicted, just as paying £15m for Joe Allen was last summer instead of strengthening the attack.

Shelvey's transfer confirmed by the club.

Liverpool Football Club have confirmed Jonjo Shelvey has completed a transfer to Swansea City.
The 21-year-old spent three years at Anfield after joining from Charlton Athletic in May 2010.
In total, he made 69 appearances for the Reds, scoring seven goals.
Everybody at Liverpool FC would like to wish Jonjo all the best for the future.

But I'd be unhappy with that situation precisely *because* those areas have been prioritised above a quality centre half! That would be self-inflicted, just as paying £15m for Joe Allen was last summer instead of strengthening the attack.
Spot on. I don't understand how attack has been given a priority over defence. Too much money is going towards going forward and hardly anything towards defenders and defensive midfield.

Spot on. I don't understand how attack has been given a priority over defence. Too much money is going towards going forward and hardly anything towards defenders and defensive midfield.

A wise man once said "the best defence is a good offence".

We've made a profit this transfer window after the Shelvey deal, I think it's safe to assume we have some more spending to come, i'd even suggest considerable spending still to come.

Can someone please give me a list of intelligent "Hyypia like" defenders who are good at organizing the defence?

From what I've heard Papa more of an aggressive tackler.

I think Ross is probably more or less right in that a lot depends on Suarez leaving, or IMO, at least other players going, which the club probably expects to happen. So I'm not gonna panic yet. I still think we'll sign at least one proper centre half, but it does seem a bit risky to let it depend on outgoings, as it's not something we can do without, just as a striker wasn't last summer.

Like I said, I don't think Suarez will leave this summer and if he does we probably won't spend that cash during this window.
We still have a couple of players who can cover that Mkhitaryan/Eríksen fee.

I think we'll end up signing another defender.

It's early days and the futures of Suarez, Skrtel and Reina don't appear to have been fully resolved so a lot can still change.

Like I said, I don't think Suarez will leave this summer and if he does we probably won't spend that cash during this window.
We still have a couple of players who can cover that Mkhitaryan/Eríksen fee.

We're in the plus after the Shelvey and Ince sale by a fair few million, we have money to spend on Minas Tirith without selling imo.

At the very least we should get Ilori signed, maybe loan him back if Coates and Skrtel stay.

We're in the plus after the Shelvey and Ince sale by a fair few million, we have money to spend on Minas Tirith without selling imo.

Are you including £20 million that is supposedly allocated for transfers?

Cause £15 million + 5 million doesn't cover our expenses in that case.

Selling Skrtel, Downing, Spearing and a few kids like Flanagan should definitely cover Mkhitaryans fee.

Aspas, Alberto, Mignolet and Toure = 7+7+9+0 = 23m
Carroll, Shelley, Inca = 17.5+6+2.5 =26m

All very rough, maybe slightly out, but we have at least broke even, its safe to assume theres more spending to come.

Probably another defender? For me this was the most important signing of the summer.

Yep, though I don't get why some other people on here have assumed that the order you sign players in is some order of priority, surely every signing you make should be of equal care, attention and intent, does it matter what order they sign in? Some negotiations are more complex and drawn out than others. We've brought in a centre back, he's said we'll look at replacing what's sold and he's also said we want to add another defender regardless. AND there's nearly two months of the window left, which is ample time. So why the usual hysterics despite once again being one of the most active teams in the market?

Few teams (any?) have their deals wrapped up in time for pre-season training, for a myriad of reasons. Why is it always a case of "why don't why we do this already" when it's pretty clear we never do and no one else does either, there's a obviously a reason.

Echo says Pacheco, Assaidi and Spearing will be off soon aswell.

Mark is spot on. I'm saying that a lot these days mate. Keep it up :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom