• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Rodgers on Transfers

Status
Not open for further replies.
1in5? The Suarez that scored 23 goals in the league last season?

The best strikers in the league only score about 1 from 5, but yeah, usually when people say that, they mean goals per game. Suarez is actually about a 1 in 8 striker in terms of goals per shots, but that obviously doesn't tell the whole story...

Yeah, Suarez is a really really really (really) poor finisher, but his creative prowess makes up for that to some extent. It doesn't really help that he shoots from poor positions frequently(in relation to other players).

I would be worried for Suarez in a top side with lots of goal threats though. In a Real Madrid side with Ronaldo and so on, he isn't going to be looked upon favorably if he shoots too often from a bad spot rather than passing it on. You can't have Ronaldo and Suarez in the same side, shooting at everything...

I think you're stretching it when you're calling Suarez a poor finisher.

30 goals last season and 51 goals in 96 games in total.
Thats very impressive for someone who "cant" finish.

I think you're stretching it when you're calling Suarez a poor finisher.

30 goals last season and 51 goals in 96 games in total.
Thats very impressive for someone who "cant" finish.

Suarez has one of the worst conversion rates among top strikers out there. I can score 51 goals in 96 games too if I take enough shots...

Yeah but he creates shitloads himself, so he still gets there, people are thinking far too hard. We do need another 15+ goals threat, but Suarez' occasional inconsistencies are besides the point.

People seem to be doing this because they're bruised. Let's face it, he's fucking brilliant.

Suarez has one of the worst conversion rates among top strikers out there. I can score 51 goals in 96 games too if I take enough shots...

But you wouldn't manage to get in a position to take enough, unless you were taking them from the half way line, in which case you wouldn't score many.

......Bruised?

I'm suggesting buying another player who can chip in with 15 goals because we have aspirations of top 4 and success. i don't believe we have enough CONSISTENT goal threat

As brilliant as suarez is, Rodgers said t'other month that this season he wants a variety of different scorers, not just luis.

I fail to see why suggesting that suarez is inconsistent in front of goal means i'm bruised.

The important thing is scoring the goals. You dont score 50 goals in fewer games than Fowler and Owen without being able to finish.

Imho, his conversion stats are a result of him shooting from everywhere, i e longshots.
When he gets them on target its not much difference between him and RVP.
Most of the chances are created by himself anyway.

One of the things he can work on is desicion making, when to shoot and when to pass.
Having more goalscorers in the team, Sturridge/Aspas/Coutinho/New AM will only improve Suarez.

But you wouldn't manage to get in a position to take enough, unless you were taking them from the half way line, in which case you wouldn't score many.

If I took enough shots, I would score that many goals. Who knows how large that number is, my statement is still true.

Errmm no you wouldnt.

If I took enough shots

It's not practical in any sense, but it's still true.

If I took enough shots, I would score that many goals. Who knows how large that number is, my statement is still true.

If I took enough shots

It's not practical in any sense, but it's still true.
Still not true. With the 90 mins you would have against premiership keepers you wouldn't stand a chance. Plus getting enough space against premiership defenders to even get a shot in the first place.

The important thing is scoring the goals. You dont score 50 goals in fewer games than Fowler and Owen without being able to finish.

Imho, his conversion stats are a result of him shooting from everywhere, i e longshots.
When he gets them on target its not much difference between him and RVP.
Most of the chances are created by himself anyway.

One of the things he can work on is desicion making, when to shoot and when to pass.
Having more goalscorers in the team, Sturridge/Aspas/Coutinho/New AM will only improve Suarez.

Suarez is able to finish, but he's nowhere close to being a good finisher. The number of shots he takes for his goals is pretty ridiculous when you compare it to many other strikers who are dubbed wasteful or the like. His creative ability does a lot to make up for his lack of finishing, but the final ball is often still lacking, as with the number of dribbles/long passes/key passes he makes, regardless of the very high turnovers/dispossessions, his assist numbers are lower than they should be. Some of this can be attributed to poor finishing on behalf of the rest of the team, but there is a lot of room to improve to those regards.

Having more goalscorers/creative types will definitely go a long way, but it's going to be a matter of how Suarez deals with having a better squad around him.

Still not true. With the 90 mins you would have against premiership keepers you wouldn't stand a chance. Plus getting enough space against premiership defenders to even get a shot in the first place.

The point is that regardless of conversion rate, one can score as many goals as they want if they take the corresponding number of shots. You can play semantics all you want, but pretty much everybody can score goals at some rate in the premiership. In a vacuum then, they could score whatever number of goals in whatever number of matches as long as they took enough shots to do so.

Again, it's not practical in the slightest, but in theory it's completely true.

why?

I think its exceptionally useful

On its own its useless, if you used it on its own you'd swap Suarez for Steven Fletcher in a heart beat. There are other stats you would need to use in conjunction with it for it to be meaningful.

On its own its useless, if you used it on its own you'd swap Suarez for Steven Fletcher in a heart beat. There are other stats you would need to use in conjunction with it for it to be meaningful.

Every stat is meaningless on its own. Goal scoring conversion % at least will show us the level of shooting accuracy a player has. When used in conjunction with other stats it shows us the type of player they are.

For some reason people seem to think i'm using this as a stick to beat suarez with. I'm not. I just think we nee another striker to play with suarez when sturridge gets injured.

why?

I think its exceptionally useful

For conversion ratio to be of any use, you'd have to assume that every shot taken was taken exactly the same. That's not the reality, there's too many environmental variables which affect it, Suarez for example takes shots at all and every angle he can, it's part of his "thorn in your side" persona. Point is, you can derive some form of information from the extremes, a 100% conversion rate would be worth noticing, as would a 5% conversion rate, but that's about it.

The point is that regardless of conversion rate, one can score as many goals as they want if they take the corresponding number of shots. You can play semantics all you want, but pretty much everybody can score goals at some rate in the premiership. In a vacuum then, they could score whatever number of goals in whatever number of matches as long as they took enough shots to do so.

Again, it's not practical in the slightest, but in theory it's completely true.

I skim read this thread but were you suggesting that given the same number of shots as Suarez, you too could score the same number of goals?

Is that what you're saying?

For conversion ratio to be of any use, you'd have to assume that every shot taken was taken exactly the same. That's not the reality, there's too many environmental variables which affect it, Suarez for example takes shots at all and every angle he can, it's part of his "thorn in your side" persona. Point is, you can derive some form of information from the extremes, a 100% conversion rate would be worth noticing, as would a 5% conversion rate, but that's about it.

Not really, most strikers take shots from similar positions. There might be some small differences, but it's not as if Suarez exclusively shoots from distance or something. These things tend to normalize some when you look at the ratio over 100+ shots and compare them. If Suarez is taking 20% more low percentage shots than other "aggressive" strikers, then I think that's a problem no matter how you look at it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom