• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Rooney Saga

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mata plus 10 million would be a fantastic deal for United. Fuck Rooney. I'd take that for Suarez.

I nicked this from Red Cafe - Fuck me there are some massive bellends on that site. Hardly surprising that I would think that I suppose. Their view of Rooney is interesting to say the least. For me I find the whole thing highly amusing.

Would you sell Rooney to Chelsea?

Yes - For Mata + £10m​
59.0%​
Yes - For a high fee to buy other players with​
7.1%​
No - He'd be too good there, sell him abroad​
20.0%​
No - I want to keep him at Utd​
8.6%​
Don't care either way​
5.2%​

i still don't get the doubters on rooney as a player on this site from some - the guy is world class - mourinho is no muppet, the best manager around and he is interested in a great player.

Fox robbed that post anyway.

I'm pretty sure there was article posted here recently about how Rooney lacked Ronaldo's work ethic and ambition. Think the quotes were from a former united coach.

i still don't get the doubters on rooney as a player on this site from some - the guy is world class - mourinho is no muppet, the best manager around and he is interested in a great player.

Define world class though. World class players in my view are fairly consistently awesome, he's not that.

As a kid he was great for a bit, since then his stand out games have gotten fewer and further between. In his late 20's now he only plays well once in a while.

With the spending power and asset value greater than a lot of sovereign nations, he managed to win a two horse race one time in three years at Real Marid. Plus he was whooped in Europe. Granted what he did at Inter was amazing but his recent form is big sending with limited success. So, while not a muppet he is not ecxxactly the Bee's Knee's on the Dogs Bollocks

I'm pretty sure there was article posted here recently about how Rooney lacked Ronaldo's work ethic and ambition. Think the quotes were from a former united coach.

Yea I read that too.

David Hytner in Hanoi, Dominic Fifield in Bangkok and Jamie Jackson in Sydney

José Mourinho has stated that Wayne Rooney is Chelsea's only remaining summer transfer target, with the club having no contingency plans should Manchester United resist selling the striker.

Chelsea have had a £20m straight cash offer rejected for the 27-year-old, who is also of interest to Arsenal. Arsène Wenger, who is keeping his options open on Liverpool's Luis Suárez and Gonzalo Higuaín of Real Madrid, said that Arsenal could afford to pay Rooney, despite him earning £250,000 a week.

Wenger also indicated that United might be disappointed in their attempt to sign the former Arsenal captain Cesc Fábregas from Barcelona. United have had a £26m bid turned down and Wenger, who has a good relationship with Fábregas, said that he believed the midfielder would stay at the Camp Nou for another year.

Chelsea reacted angrily to the suggestion from United that their opening offer for Rooney had included the option for the Premier League champions to take either Juan Mata or David Luiz as a makeweight. They went as far as to release a statement that confirmed their offer for Rooney but hinted at their frustration that, first, the move had been made public and, second, the part-exchange had been mooted.

"Chelsea can confirm that it made a written offer to Manchester United for the transfer of Wayne Rooney," a club spokesman said. "Although the terms of that offer are confidential, for the avoidance of doubt and contrary to what is apparently being briefed to the press in Sydney [where United are on tour], the proposed purchase does not include the transfer or loan of any players from Chelsea to Manchester United."

Mourinho insisted that Chelsea had behaved in a "proper" and "ethical" way and that their conduct had been "clean". "The situation now is clear," said Mourinho, after his team had beaten the Singha All-Stars 1-0. "Chelsea is interested in the player. Chelsea made an official bid. What we did, we did officially, between our club and Man United. We have nothing more to say. You have to respect Man United and you have to be ethical in this process. So no more problems.

"We don't want to make public what has to be private, which is the official bid we made. The official bid is about a certain amount of money; [it] doesn't involve players and does not involve the players in the possibility of the negotiations. There are none involved in the deal. Not Juan Mata. Not David Luiz. I have to finish the story. The club knows we want the player. The player has to know we made a bid for him. Now it's up to them."

Mourinho was asked whether Chelsea had bid for any other player. "No, and we won't," he said. It was subsequently put to him that it must be Rooney or bust. "Yes," he said.

United not only rejected Chelsea's offer, they made it clear that they would not sell him to a direct rival. But Wenger, who lost Robin van Persie to United last summer, is open to taking Rooney and exacting a measure of revenge. "It happened to us," he said. "It can happen to them."

Wenger, who revealed that the club captain Thomas Vermaelen would be out for "two months at least" with a stress fracture to the back, said he was "not specifically after one name" on the market. "We have not the problem of the wages of Wayne Rooney but it's very difficult for us to talk about any specific case. We work well but we are not close to sign anybody. The competition in Europe is very hard at the moment. There's a lot of money and not many players."

Arsenal negotiated a clause in Fábregas's contract when they sold him to Barcelona that gave them first refusal should he leave. Wenger suggested that they would be interested in him but he does not envisage it becoming an option. The Barcelona manager Tito Vilanova wants to keep Fábregas but it is understood that the club's board would be open to offers.

"Fábregas has decided to stay one more year at Barcelona," Wenger said, after Arsenal's 7-1 win over a Vietnam XI in Hanoi. "Unless he has changed his mind, I don't know … but that's what I've been told. We have the clause in the contract so we would be on alert but at the moment that's not something we're after."

United's insistence that Rooney is not for sale is complicated by the player's desire to leave, with Chelsea believed to be his favoured destination. Rooney is unhappy with his drop down the pecking order at United and he was described as "angry and confused" after David Moyes appeared to suggest that he would play second fiddle to Van Persie. Moyes did not intend any slight. Rooney is likely to have to submit a transfer request to force a move.

Ed Woodward, United's executive vice-chairman, has left the tour in Sydney to return to Europe to attend to urgent transfer business. The club have an interest in David Luiz, together with Everton's Marouane Fellaini and Leighton Baines but the top target is Fábregas. Moyes's Old Trafford debut comes on 26 August against Chelsea.

I share the articles sentiment.

They showed a piccy of ronaldo on his beach holiday next to Rooney. Not very similar.

I read that Fergie nearly didn't sign Rooney when he met his family. All fat chavs and that worried Fergie

I thought they were signing him to keep John Terrys ma happy?
Works both ways this transfer...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...ester-United-to-Chelsea-seems-inevitable.html

Wayne Rooney has only himself to blame as departure from Manchester United to Chelsea seems inevitable

The saga now enveloping the career of Wayne Rooney is a lot less complicated than it might look. At its heart is a beautifully simple truth which England’s leading footballer cannot dodge. Without performance there is no power.

rooney_2621436b.jpg

Nearing the exit: Wayne Rooney's departure from Manchester United now seems inevitable Photo: REUTERS
6:10AM BST 19 Jul 2013
comments.gif
1 Comment
It all started with a drop in Rooney’s levels at Manchester United. Without the old thrust and zip, he is a static player who can hope to influence games only with isolated moments of brilliance.
If younger opponents go shooting by him, he is vulnerable to the rival claims of team-mates who possess the speed and energy to regain possession. Carrying more bulk than he should, he is bound to perspire and tire too early in matches and therefore look exposed by modern football’s hyper-activeness.
This has nothing to do with politics, pay, reputation or managerial favouritism. It was one of the most fundamental principles of Sir Alex Ferguson’s management that players would play for United only if they could meet the standard the club demanded. It was one of the distinctive strengths of the Ferguson era that no player could guarantee himself a place in the side on the basis of who he was.
In his halcyon years, Rooney gave United what they asked for. He delivered on the promise of his wonderful precocity. With Cristiano Ronaldo he formed one of the club’s most potent partnerships. When Ronaldo moved to Real Madrid, he assumed the mantle of talisman and chief destroyer, for a while.
But there was rarely a sense that he was applying himself to the job as conscientiously as the world’s truly great players.
In the current stand-off, many will trace the roots of the conflict to the autumn of 2010, when Rooney returned from an abysmal World Cup campaign to face newspaper revelations about his private life, and then came close to joining Manchester City after putting his name to a statement questioning United’s “ambitions”.
This laughable suggestion that the most relentlessly successful club in England were failing to match the aspirations of a player who had just bombed at a World Cup ended with United’s American owners electing to inflate his salary to make him stay. But you can only play that game once with a billion-pound corporation when the manager has a track record of seeing off troublemakers.
Even then Rooney might have settled down to become a United luminary at an establishment paying him £250,000 a week. One or two colleagues were understandably offended by his scripted accusation that the club were failing to compete in the transfer market. “Who is he to look down on me?” the recent arrivals might have said. Yet ill-feeling of that type generally subsides so long as there is no repetition.
It is common, in discussions about England’s senior striker, to say that he is “badly advised,” which is code for: his agent is a pain. It was reasonable to detect the hand of Paul Stretford in the statement of October 2010, and fair to ask why newspapers reported this week that Rooney was “angry and confused” about his treatment by United.
Stretford is plainly a handful for United’s board, but no 27-year-old multi-millionaire can hide behind his agent forever. Stretford is not to blame for Ferguson taking Rooney off in games last season, or for him being left out altogether for a Champions League home second-leg against Real Madrid. His fall from grace last term was evidence-based. The responsibility for it rests with him.
From Rooney’s own perspective, Robin van Persie’s arrival from Arsenal must have been dispiriting, so soon after Ronaldo’s gilded reign. The purchase of Shinji Kagawa might also have pointed to a lack of faith in him in the playmaking role.
With Rooney, any lowering of his spirits is likely to undermine his social discipline, with further damage to his effectiveness. And so the cycle continues, to the point where he – not realising that Ferguson is about to retire – indicates a desire to leave, for the second time, soon after United have wrapped up their 20th league title against Aston Villa.
A severance between the two sides now looks as inevitable as it is desirable. United’s fans will never fully embrace him again. Rooney himself appears alienated and needs to start again. But United will not place his private needs before their own, especially after this latest clumsy PR move (the “angry and confused” approach).
Jose Mourinho’s Chelsea look the prime threat to United’s dominance, and the Glazers would need to be offered an astronomical sum to overcome their reluctance to sell him to a Premier League rival. Rooney was made a special case three years ago, and there is no urge to yield to him again.
The problem started with him, as a footballer, however much he dances around that.

I think Man U are realising that Rooney's expiry date is getting closer and he's gonna have trouble staying fit. He's a Andy Reid waiting to happen.

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HQwH4DtqW4

Parody of the one posted here

Meanwhile:

Asked about David Moyes' belief that even the big deals will be concluded late in the transfer window, Mourinho said that some clubs who lose players later on risk destroying the "balance" of their squads when the transfer window closes on 2 September. Chelsea are aware that United would sell for around £30m and are considering an improvement on their original £22m bid.

Mourinho, speaking at a press conference to welcome the club to Indonesia, the final leg of their tour of Asia, said: "It depends on the philosophy of each one. The sooner you have the players the better. You know the squad you have, you know what you have to work with, you have time for that. But, yes, he [Moyes] is right. The market is open until 2 September and many clubs are waiting to the last moment to make their decisions, and those decisions affect a number of other clubs.

"The one who sells has to go and buy, then they have to buy to replace, so no club is safe. Until the last minute, a club can go there and 'steal' a player. I don't mean steal a player, but steal the balance that a manager has when he's working with a team. In that aspect, we are ok because we don't have players to sell, so none of my players is leaving under any circumstances. Many teams will be under pressure until the last moment without knowing how the squad is going to be."

The Times are reporting he's gonna put in a transfer request by the end of the week in order to get to Chelsea.

I reckon he would be a great buy for Chelsea.

Jose will get him back to his best if not better.

I think his fall from grace is as much due to Ferguson as it is Shrek, if not more. Buying v.Persie was obviously going to put pressure on him, and it isn't as if he didn't deliver in the striker's role in 2011/12 scoring 34 in 44 games (27 in 34 in the PL). v.Persie scored 30 in 48 in 2012/13 (26 in 38 in the PL).

I don't know the assists figure but again I'd be surprised if Shrek was behind in that one. Even being (IMO) messed around by Ferguson as he tried to accomodate them both (his intention being to create a sensational scoring partnership, his gamble failed miserably and was poor management - despite still winning the league by default) he still scored 16 in 36 (12 in 27 in the PL).

At 27 nearing 28 he should be in his absolute prime and have 3-4 good years left in him .... if Chelsea pick him up then I have no doubt he'll be damn good for them and that will be a bloody shame !

It's amazing that he's 28. It only seems a handful of years ago that he was 16.

How would people here think if we bid for him? He is after all Liverpool born and bred, despite him being a blue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom