• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

See here's to you, Andrew Robertson.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've barely watched him so have based my opinion on the Hull supporters. Maybe it's sour grapes but nobody on their forums seems to contradict supporters who describe him as error prone and average. They do say he's a decent crosser though.

I've barely watched him so have based my opinion on the Hull supporters. Maybe it's sour grapes but nobody on their forums seems to contradict supporters who describe him as error prone and average. They do say he's a decent crosser though.

This signing is going to be a waste of money and irritate the living fuck out of me.

Fuckin meh :(

So you'd prefer us to either stick with Moreno or divert a much, much larger portion of the budget on pursuing someone else who isn't our first choice left back target? Our first choice left back will be at Fulham next season and we'll be in for him next summer. This season we need to get rid of Moreno and get in a solid and reliable left back. Which Robertson is. And he's been praised by his manager for his ability and willingness to listen and learn and improve, which he will do further under Klopp. So you can 'meh' all summer that we're not being as flash as your beloved mancs, but I think it's a pretty sensible move.

So you'd prefer us to either stick with Moreno or divert a much, much larger portion of the budget on pursuing someone else who isn't our first choice left back target? Our first choice left back will be at Fulham next season and we'll be in for him next summer. This season we need to get rid of Moreno and get in a solid and reliable left back. Which Robertson is. And he's been praised by his manager for his ability and willingness to listen and learn and improve, which he will do further under Klopp. So you can 'meh' all summer that we're not being as flash as your beloved mancs, but I think it's a pretty sensible move.

I'll take this optimism/pragmatism and hope that it's right.

I've wanted rid of Moreno for longer than most on here, I would invest heavily and buy a better left back. He's looked poor anytime I've seen him, and if you followed the threads I've been one of the few who don't want to splash 70m on the flash signings of either VVD or Keita. I'm not sure where Utd came into the discussion but throw them in sure for the craic.

I've wanted rid of Moreno for longer than most on here, I would invest heavily and buy a better left back. He's looked poor anytime I've seen him, and if you followed the threads I've been one of the few who don't want to splash 70m on the flash signings of either VVD or Keita. I'm not sure where Utd came into the discussion but throw them in sure for the craic.

So, at a time when our main targets for midfield and central defence look like costing well over £120m, you, dreamy, would snap into action and 'invest heavily' on a top quality left back who, as far as I can see, isn't even available. I find that utterly bizarre, but each to their own. Left back is about three or four in the areas I want to see strengthened with the real premium buys this summer. Robertson for Moreno will be fine for me for a season before a better option becomes a practical reality.

So, at a time when our main targets for midfield and central defence look like costing well over £120m, you, dreamy, would snap into action and 'invest heavily' on a top quality left back who, as far as I can see, isn't even available. I find that utterly bizarre, but each to their own. Left back is about three or four in the areas I want to see strengthened with the real premium buys this summer. Robertson for Moreno will be fine for me for a season before a better option becomes a practical reality.

Subjectivity is a fine thing, I would put left back right up there as a top priority, we need a left footed top class left back.

Subjectivity is a fine thing, I would put left back right up there as a top priority, we need a left footed top class left back.

No we don't. Maybe in the longterm we do, but Milner was one of the most productive AND dependable left backs in the league last season. We didn't need to go into this season with a replacement first teamer coming in, in that role, we needed an understudy to Milner who can come in and cover when needs be and give him a breather. That's exactly what this move is.

You don't want to spend big money on the two key positions where we lack quality (central defense and defensive midfield), but you want us to blow a wad on a left back, because you seem to see a position that was made his own by a notoriously consistent player, as one of the priorities moving forward. You fucking baffle me.

It's the right kind of move when we've got 3-4 other huge priorities in this window. Especially if the scenario is that we spend alot of money on a left back, and it limits our flexibility in strengthening more pressing areas.

No we don't. Maybe in the longterm we do, but Milner was one of the most productive AND dependable left backs in the league last season. We didn't need to go into this season with a replacement first teamer coming in, in that role, we needed an understudy to Milner who can come in and cover when needs be and give him a breather. That's exactly what this move is.

You don't want to spend big money on the two key positions where we lack quality (central defense and defensive midfield), but you want us to blow a wad on a left back, because you seem to see a position that was made his own by a notoriously consistent player, as one of the priorities moving forward. You fucking baffle me.

It's the right kind of move when we've got 3-4 other huge priorities in this window. Especially if the scenario is that we spend alot of money on a left back, and it limits our flexibility in strengthening more pressing areas.

In Europe even, if you believe the numbers (y)

It's clear anyway with bids failing for Chilwell and Sessegnon over the last year, that we haven't been in the market for a first choice left back for some time - the link to Mendy didn't seem very credible to me.

Mendy... One of the best

Tierney.. Potential to be one of the best

Robertson.. Relegated, and wasn't a standout player.

You can understand the apprehension.

There's a fair chance he'll improve for the switch to playing under Klopp and, with PL experience, be more aware of his opponents.

If he's the player that some managers sign during a transition period when there are more pressing issues elsewhere in the squad then £8m is nothing. Much depends on us acquiring a centre half like VVD.

Milner was very good indeed but looked knackered towards the end of last season. Having another left back, that the manager trusts, will be key with so many games this season.

While Milner was very good offensively, his numbers in regards to getting dribbled past were not to good, so hopefully a years experience will benefit him defensively this season.

Flanagan has got to be worried that we are signing this fella. He could well be a 3rd choice right back and a 4th choice left back.

Milner was also expected to do too much offensively because we had no natural width on the left.

We expected too much from the fullbacks and offered little protection for them from midfield.

I'm still surprised we didn't look at Tierney. Maybe we did but it would seem that for ca. £20m we could have had a LB on a par with Sessegnon except with far more experience.

In Europe even, if you believe the numbers (y)

It's clear anyway with bids failing for Chilwell and Sessegnon over the last year, that we haven't been in the market for a first choice left back for some time - the link to Mendy didn't seem very credible to me.

Sessegnon is a fantastic talent.

I think the fatigue wore on Milner as the season went on and we definitely need support for him with the addition of Champions League this season.

If we can't get a genuine first choice replacement this season, I'm okay with Robertson as backup. But leftback will likely become a priority position for next season and I assume we'll go all in for Sessegnon.

Milner declined massively after xmas last season and came up short time and time again when we needed natural width.

Quality full backs are so important to the style Klopp plays.

We literally had no left footed full back at the club and needed real quality.

WELCOME TO LIVERPOOL Andy Robertson! We already think you're shite and we have barely seen you play!

This pretty much sims up my thoughts. Though, my frustration at his signing is really directed at the club. If this guy turns out to be ace, well I'd love to be wrong - I really would - but the fans of a Championship club really don't seem to care he's leaving. That doesn't bode well, and it points to yet another waste of time and money spent on substandard players by us.

But, yeah, yeah, I should - and will - give the guy a chance before I vent my frustrations at the club his way.

As I and many others have already acknowledged about ten times on here.

Sorry Macca, in my post I said that interest in him was an indication that we weren't in for a first choice LB, your response to it looked at first glance to be that you were suggesting otherwise, looks like that's not the case.

but the fans of a Championship club really don't seem to care he's leaving.

Is that judged on what the forums are saying? Because strangers dipping into this forum would assume most of our players are absolute shite!

I just find it depressing that if we get a British player for a relatively small fee there's a rush to out 'meh' each other. Dreamy, apparently, was prescient enough to spend most of last season monitoring how 'meh' the player is, but I doubt many have seen that much of him. I've seen a fair amount of games and he's looked fairly promising to me. Klopp likes working to improve players and this guy, in stark contrast to Moreno, really does work hard to improve. Strachan has praised him for his positivity, his character and his tactical intelligence, Bruce said he was probably the most 'coachable' player with whom he'd ever worked. I don't get the scepticism. Give the guy a chance. And the savings the deal represents might just give us the few more spare million we need to clinch the other deals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom