• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

See here's to you, Andrew Robertson.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This pretty much sims up my thoughts. Though, my frustration at his signing is really directed at the club. If this guy turns out to be ace, well I'd love to be wrong - I really would - but the fans of a Championship club really don't seem to care he's leaving. That doesn't bode well, and it points to yet another waste of time and money spent on substandard players by us.

But, yeah, yeah, I should - and will - give the guy a chance before I vent my frustrations at the club his way.

I think Hull City fans must be pretty numb now, in the space of eight months they've lost their PL status, two managers, a host of first teamers (Snodgrass, Livermore, Huddlestone, Maguire, Jakupovic, Davies) and a promising player (for them) in Josh Tymon. Robertson now also on the verge of leaving - they are scraping the bottom of what was already a fairly shitty barrel!

No sign of any money being put back into the club, no sign of a buyer for the club.

We need to remember that we are signing a back-up left back to Milner here it seems, not a first team player. Roberston is very capable of filling in and he may well improve.

[article]Liverpool are said to be closing in on their third signing of the summer, with Hull City left-back Andy Robertson expected to arrive in the near future.

Robertson is one of a number of a number of Hull players that will be leaving the club following their relegation to the Championship this summer.

Liverpool’s attempts to sign a new left-back this summer have been extremely well documented, but it seems they have now settled on the signing of Robertson, who also came under consideration last summer.

The Scotsman is expected to complete his Liverpool transfer in the coming days for a fee in the region of £8m. Jürgen Klopp will be hoping that he provides good competition for the club’s current first choice left-back James Milner.

To get a better idea of the type of player the Reds are getting, Anfield HQ spoke to BBC Radio Humberside’s Hull City commentator, who has watched Robertson on a regular basis since his arrival at the club in 2014.

How impressed have you been with Robertson since his arrival at Hull in 2014?

I’ve been impressed, I’ve really enjoyed watching him play (he’s a good sight tearing forward) and I’ve seen progress every season, so you can see he listens and learns. He also has heart and fire, desire and honesty about him. He also has pace. He’s a lovely lad too and excellent with the fans and media.

Have you always thought he’s capable of a step up to a top Premier League club?

Good question, I’ve always thought he was a Premier league player, but for a top club? Arsenal, I think, were watching him for some while and I can see why and I can see why Liverpool are taking him and if he continues his rate of development then he should make the step but there are a couple of things to work on (more of which later).

Where would you say he ranked amongst other left-backs in the Premier League last season?

That’s hard to answer because I wasn’t really making direct comparisons. He’s not the best and he’s not the worst.

Do you think he’d suit Jürgen Klopp’s style of play?

Why not? If he didn’t, yer man wouldn’t be splashing the cash on him!

Do you think the rumoured £8m transfer fee is a fair price?

It may be a steal, if Man City are paying £50m+ for a right-back, then left-back’s are a rarer commodity.

How good is he defensively? A lot of the trouble Liverpool have had with Alberto Moreno has been his difficulties on the defensive side of the game.

That’s where he needs to develop, to be a real top-top player. Only my opinion, but he’s sometimes a little positionally naïve in the defensive areas, but hopefully that awareness will develop. He may need to just be a bit sharper sometimes with his first defensive pass out.

James Milner is expected to begin the season as Liverpool’s first-choice left-back, could you see Robertson eventually becoming first choice?

Yes, I don’t think he’ll like the word eventually. I think he’ll expect to have the shirt soon-ish.

Does this strike you as a good piece of business from Liverpool?

Yes. All transfers are a gamble but it’s one worth taking.

What you you say his most impressive attribute is?

Pace and attitude.

What do you think he needs to work on the most?

See answer 6, but all the evidence suggests he’s bright and willing enough to work on all aspects of his game.[/article]
http://www.anfieldhq.com/exclusive-...-david-burns-liverpool-target-andy-robertson/

Is that judged on what the forums are saying? Because strangers dipping into this forum would assume most of our players are absolute shite!

I just find it depressing that if we get a British player for a relatively small fee there's a rush to out 'meh' each other. Dreamy, apparently, was prescient enough to spend most of last season monitoring how 'meh' the player is, but I doubt many have seen that much of him. I've seen a fair amount of games and he's looked fairly promising to me. Klopp likes working to improve players and this guy, in stark contrast to Moreno, really does work hard to improve. Strachan has praised him for his positivity, his character and his tactical intelligence, Bruce said he was probably the most 'coachable' player with whom he'd ever worked. I don't get the scepticism. Give the guy a chance. And the savings the deal represents might just give us the few more spare million we need to clinch the other deals.
I shop at Lidl so I like cheap bargains

He's not the best and not the worst is a bit depressing

That's the bit that stood out for me. It's not exactly a ringing endorsement.

We've not had a great deal of luck with stop-gaps in recent times so hopefully this guy bucks the trend.

He looks damn ordinary on Youtube. Loads of misplaced passes, poor touches, and general averageness. Not much to get excited about other than the fact that he's not Moreno.

But then, I've never really thought Moreno is as bad as most people on here think he is.

He looks damn ordinary on Youtube. Loads of misplaced passes, poor touches, and general averageness. Not much to get excited about other than the fact that he's not Moreno.

But then, I've never really thought Moreno is as bad as most people on here think he is.

Neither did I, but Klopp evidently did. He was really only a last resort.

Looks like this lads strong point isn't defending. I hope we're going for a 3 CB's formation then if that's the case.

Kevin Stewart is going to Hull for £8 million (inclusive of potential add ons). Not a bad 'swap'.
http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/spor.../kevin-stewart-leaves-liverpool-tour-13352184
[article]Kevin Stewart has flown home from Liverpool's tour of Hong Kong after the club agreed an £8million deal with Hull City.

The 23-year-old midfielder has been granted permission to discuss personal terms and undergo a medical with the Championship outfit.

The fee could rise to £8million with add-ons as Stewart departs three years after joining the Reds on a free transfer from Tottenham.

Stewart, who only signed a new five-year deal last November, clocked up 20 senior appearances for Liverpool after making his debut in the FA Cup tie against Exeter City in January 2016.

However, Stewart found his opportunities limited in the second half of last season and had to settle for playing under-23s football.

This summer he was surplus to requirements and the move to Hull offers him the opportunity of regular first-team football.[/article]

Thank god Dreamy and the Internet - what a devilish combination! - weren't around when we were buying the likes of Phil Neal from mighty Northampton, or other unexciting non-entities as Steve Nicol, Steve Staunton and Jim Beglin. There would have been enough 'mehs' to fill Mehsopotamia.

It's Ok much like Lucas he's the most coachable player ever apparently so he'll be boss.

Nice to see we can count on 1 in 59 crosses leading to a goal

James Pearce@JamesPearceEcho
#LFC have agreed a £10million deal with Hull City for Andy Robertson.

Deal confirmed

“It feels a wee bit surreal just now. Obviously I’m delighted. There’s been a lot of speculation over the last couple of weeks but I’m glad that the deal’s finally been done and I’m a Liverpool player.

“My family are proud of what I’ve achieved so far and they’re all over the moon with the move, as well as me of course. We’re all just looking forward to being part of the Liverpool family now.

“There’s not many, if any, more special clubs than Liverpool. When you grow up as a kid you dream of playing with big clubs such as Liverpool and to make that a reality is a dream come true for me.

“I just want to prove to people that I can do it at this level, and hopefully I manage to do that this season and go on to do good things for this club.”

And the Reds boss believes the defender's meteoric rise proves he has the necessary characteristics to ensure he continues progressing at Anfield.

Just four years ago, Robertson was earning a living as a supermarket cashier and working at Hampden Park while playing in the fourth tier of Scottish football with amateur outfit Queen's Park.

His performances for the Glasgow club earned him a move to the Premiership with Dundee United, where he continued to excel and gained PFA Scotland Young Player of the Year recognition before sealing a switch to Hull City.

Robertson has since established himself as a capable Premier League performer, leading to 15 senior Scotland caps and his move to LFC.

For Klopp, the never-say-die attitude displayed by the full-back en route to Anfield shows that there is even more to come.

"For Andrew this is another big step on what has been a quite incredible personal journey in a very short space of time," he told Liverpoolfc.com.

“I love his story; where he has come from professionally to reach this point.

"When you speak to him it is clear why he makes his progress. He has a burning love for playing football - he really loves the game.

"His attitude is outstanding - absolutely outstanding. His talent and skills - also very, very good.

"He has experience of this competition, the Premier League, and he has the mentality and quality to get even better.

"I know our environment will benefit him and help him push himself even more than he has already. This is a player who does not limit his ambition, I think."

thumb_44733_default_news_size_5.jpg

Subscribe to view this video
SUBSCRIBE NOW
Already subscribed? Log in here.

Watch now: Andy Robertson's first LFC interview>>

Klopp regularly used the versatile James Milner in Robertson's preferred position of left-back last season as the Reds sealed a return to the Champions League.

And the manager says he is now spoiled for choice in that area as he gears his squad up for a more packed fixture list this time around.

"This addition gives us fantastic competition in the left full-back position now," he added.

"Obviously, James Milner did very well for us last season there and can play most positions on the football pitch. Alberto Moreno looks really good in pre-season and we have Jon Flanagan back, who can play left or right full-back.

"This signing strengthens us at full-back and I'm really pleased about this."

If he's a 7 out of 10 every week, for the price, I don't think anyone will complain.

We can look at getting someone better (on either the right or left) next year. In fact, I'd consider moving Milner out to RB, if Robertson proves to be a good player. Milner could actually be a Dario Srna type FB with his delivery from the right (none of the shite cutting inside and slowing up play).

Obviously i hope he does well and proves an astute signing. But i can't help but feel underwhelmed. He never stood out when playing for Hull and he seems to make a lot of mistakes defensively.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom