• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Shaq's problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

rurikbird

Part of the Furniture
Honorary Member

Xherdan Shaqiri: Liverpool forward hints at Anfield exit amid ‘disappointment’ over playing time

By Jackson Cole
17th August 2019, 10:49 am

Xherdan Shaqiri has fuelled speculation he could leave Liverpool after admitting he is unhappy with his lack of playing time at Anfield. The Switzerland international joined the Reds from Stoke City for £13million in the summer of 2018. He made 24 Premier League appearances last season, however, he only started in eleven of them.

The forward, 27, is something of a fringe player for the Anfield club and has yet to feature for them this season – with his only appearance coming in their Community Shield defeat to Manchester City. Although he picked up an injury while playing in the Nations League in June, Shaqiri’s fall down the pecking order at Liverpool over the past few months has been rapid. Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain started against Chelsea in the Super Cup while striker Divock Origi has also worked his way up following his Champions League form.There have even been suggestions Shaqiri could go this summer as the transfer window is still open in Europe’s other big leagues. And Shaqiri fired a warning to Reds boss Jurgen Klopp about his future, admitting that he needs to ‘look at the situation and find a solution’.

In an interview with Swiss publication BZ Langenthaler Tagblatt, Shaqiri said: “I am disappointed that I am no longer getting to play in matches. “No player is happy to sit on the bench. It is clear that I would like to have more playing time. I need to take a good look at the situation and find a solution.”

============

I think he has a right to be concerned about his place in the team. Going back to last season, his last start in the league came on 30th of January against Leicester. He played exactly 0 minutes in Champions League after coming on as sub in the PSG away game – until the Barca home game, of course, when Klopp had no choice but to play him, assisted on the 3rd goal, but again didn't play even a minute in the final. This season, 3 competitive fixtures in, he hasn't got a single minute of action. There is a pattern and it's clear.

He's clearly a quality player, so why doesn't Klopp find ways to rotate him in more? We've talked in the past about his struggles to fit into our 4-3-3 system – but systems can be changed to accommodate players, but Klopp has been unwilling to do this for Shaqiri since January. I think Shaq's biggest problem honestly is Salah. Mo's mentality is similar to Messi or Ronaldo – if he is able to stand on two legs he wants to play and woe is to the manager who dares to "rest" him. He is also a physical freak who can actually handle this amount of workload and actually needs to play a lot to feel fully sharp. Sadio and Bobby are kind of the same, actually – and that's why it's so insanely difficult to find and maintain "quality backup" for out front 3.

Footballers in their prime want to play and had we paid £72M like Arsenal did for Pepe instead of £13M we paid for Shaq, it would create the same kind of unsolvable conflicts we see in Barcelona with the likes Coutinho and Dembele (and the excellent Malcolm who kept his mouth shut, but lost a year of his career sitting on the bench). Keeping young homegrown players as back-ups is not a perfect solution either – they need consistent minutes to develop, which is why Harry Wilson is now scoring for Bournemouth. The only realistic way, like I said before, is to have quality attacking midfielders who can play alongside the front 3 and can also step in to sub for any of them when necessary – and that's exactly Shaq's problem; he is behind Ox, Hendo, Keita, Gini, Milner and even Lallana in the midfield pecking order due to his defensive deficiencies – even though he is probably the sharpest passer and chance-creator among them. It's good for us to have a player of his quality on the bench – but I understand his frustration. If he doesn't leave before September 1st, surely it's going to be his last season in Liverpool.

Even if all that is true there have still been opportunities to give him some minutes but Klopp hasn’t.

He doesn’t even really get used as a sub. It’s strange.

The Norwich game was a perfect example. 4-0 up against relegation fodder and big mid week game coming up and still nothing.

It’s not just Shaq either. A couple players aside Klopp seems very reluctant to rotate at all. I was wondering whether it’s just down to wanting to build fluency early on but who knows... there were signs of this last season too.

You mentioned Messi - even he gets the odd league game on the bench.

It is strange.

And you have to wonder how we would every acquire quality in depth when they will never play unless the front three get injured

Even if all that is true there have still been opportunities to give him some minutes but Klopp hasn’t.

He doesn’t even really get used as a sub. It’s strange.

The Norwich game was a perfect example. 4-0 up against relegation fodder and big mid week game coming up and still nothing.

It’s not just Shaq either. A couple players aside Klopp seems very reluctant to rotate at all. I was wondering whether it’s just down to wanting to build fluency early on but who knows... there were signs of this last season too.

You mentioned Messi - even he gets the odd league game on the bench.

He seems to rotate far more from mid-season and on. I think the pattern we’re seeing is the fitness levels and cohesion shooting up after the first 5-10 games of the season after looking pretty lethargic to begin with.
Klopp’s ideal would probably to get through that in preseason but all the touring and internationals seems to be making the start of our actual real season into an extended preseason.

So anyone he’s not going to count on big time will not play. I wish he’d at least give Shaq some minutes though, even as sub.

He was never a starter and he came back to pre season late. He will do well to get the same minutes as last season that much is clear.

I would think fringe players like Origi, Lovren, Lallana, Shaq, Kent, Wilson would have been told of their place in the squad. If they wanted out, like Lovren or Wilson or Kent, they would have, otherwise they need to accept their place in the team.

If anything Origi has shown through application, hard work and abit of luck they could force themselves back into the squad.

Shaq should try to do the same, while being handsomely paid.

He was never a starter and he came back to pre season late. He will do well to get the same minutes as last season that much is clear.

I would think fringe players like Origi, Lovren, Lallana, Shaq, Kent, Wilson would have been told of their place in the squad. If they wanted out, like Lovren or Wilson or Kent, they would have, otherwise they need to accept their place in the team.

If anything Origi has shown through application, hard work and abit of luck they could force themselves back into the squad.

Shaq should try to do the same, while being handsomely paid.

He did contribute when given the odd opportunities I thought. Barca game being his biggest contribution.
He should be trying to work his bollocks off as a midfielder. It’s obvious Klopp only sees him as an option when either wingers are out. But he did bring him in to play as the advanced midfielder. Until he realized Shaq wasn’t ready and pulled him off at half time in I think his first game for us?
If he hasn’t learnt from it then he’ll only ever be a stand in winger and will probably leave.

He would probably have gotten some minutes yesterday if he hadnt given this interview and complained in the media.

I think he will leave in summer if not this window.

Its clear Klopp wont play him because he only wants players that run 50 miles every game.

Nothing wrong with what he said, players are allowed to be frustrated if they feel down.

I thought that once Fabinho settles, he would provide enough protection for the back four and that would then allow Shaq to play in midfield.

Doesn’t seems to have worked out that way.

I thought that once Fabinho settles, he would provide enough protection for the back four and that would then allow Shaq to play in midfield.

Doesn’t seems to have worked out that way.

You don’t win the CL with 1 man protecting the back 4. You need to defend and attack together...

Klopp will go wit tried and tested for the majority and of games this season. Shaq, lallana et al will play the cup games

I thought the problem was that Shaq isn't like for like with any forward and doesn't handle the defensive side of being in the midfield 3. Probably pretty much the same reasons why Klopp wasnt bothered about bringing Coutinho back.

Interesting to see if Klopp would rather give him minutes to keep him chill, or let him go if he's gonna be drama

It's a bummer, he's ace. Coutinho was terrible defensively but always played when fit. Ox is injury prone, Frim is knackered, I'd be giving Shaq minutes simply to keep him interested until we inevitably need him.
100%

Hi All

So what is the overall view on this - will we be selling him ? - no word from Klopp or club so far it seems. It would be pretty fucked up if we sold him, I think on his day the guy is world class, and is core to the way his national team play, I mean they can get him to play a major role for them, am surprised we cannot even give him 20 minutes in a game.

Hi All

So what is the overall view on this - will we be selling him ? - no word from Klopp or club so far it seems. It would be pretty fucked up if we sold him, I think on his day the guy is world class, and is core to the way his national team play, I mean they can get him to play a major role for them, am surprised we cannot even give him 20 minutes in a game.
We ain't selling nobody except Lovren and possibly one of the ressies.

There just isn't room for any squad players unless of injury.

Since Klopp's arrived, we've used the least amount of players that have played in excess of 900 minutes a season.

No mins today ? He is going isnt he ?

Given we have already let Wilson go out on loan getting rid of Shaq would leave us very thin in attacking midfielders. I mean its not like we can expect Keita, Lallana and Ox to stay fit.

Given we have already let Wilson go out on loan getting rid of Shaq would leave us very thin in attacking midfielders. I mean its not like we can expect Keita, Lallana and Ox to stay fit.
The fact that he plays Lallana just fucks me off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom