• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Thanks VAR the memories....

Fabio

Former mod, consistent c***
Honorary Member
Premier League clubs to vote on scrapping VAR
Wolves have tabled a motion to scrap VAR
Clubs will vote on it next month
If 14 clubs vote in favour of the motion, VAR will not be used next season
By Jack Gallagher
5:53 PM GMT+1
VAR could be scrapped
VAR could be scrapped / Alex Livesey - Danehouse/GettyImages
Premier League clubs are set to vote on a proposal to end the use of VAR in England's top flight ahead of the 2024/25 season.

The technology has endured its critics throughout the current campaign, with high profile mistakes occurring more often than is acceptable.

ADVERTISING

The most high profile of all came early in the season when a Luis Diaz goal for Liverpool against Tottenham Hotspur was egregiously ruled out for offside due to miscommunication between the VAR booth and referee Simon Hooper.

Following a season of controversy, Wolves have now formally submitted a motion calling for VAR to be scrapped heading into the upcoming 2024/25 campaign.

Premier League clubs are now set to vote on the motion during the upcoming annual general meeting in June

A statement from Wolves regarding the decision to put forward the resolution on VAR reads: "After careful consideration and with the utmost respect for the Premier League, (referees body) PGMOL and our fellow competitors.

"There is no blame to be placed – we are all just looking for the best possible outcome for football – and all stakeholders have been working hard to try and make the introduction of additional technology a success.

"However, after five seasons of VAR in the Premier League, it is time for a constructive and critical debate on its future.

ADVERTISING

"Our position is that the price we are paying for a small increase in accuracy is at odds with the spirit of our game, and as a result we should remove it from the 2024/25 season onwards."

Reactions: jan
Keep the semi-automated VAR for offside.

Get rid off all the refs in the VAR box wanking each other off.

It obviously won't get voted out but never seeing zoomed in freezeframes or offside lines being drawn again would make me a bit happier

In the other game last night, VAR did well.
Ref wrongly gave a pen, and VAR made him to have a look.
Ref put his pride away and cancelled his decision.

In the other game last night, VAR did well.
Ref wrongly gave a pen, and VAR made him to have a look.
Ref put his pride away and cancelled his decision.
People on the tiktoks think that was a ploy to show everyone "see? VAR can be trusted" after wolves tables their motion. Based on the fact no one was claiming a pen, and people knew he got the ball

You know it's beyond shit when people have to single out the correct decisions

On that note, who had the better season - Darwin Nunez or VAR? I'm all in on Nunez

Scrap it and stick to automated offsides and the goal line tech, and then leave it alone. I would take an increase in the number of bad decisions based from the ref not seeing it, or just error, if it meant that when the ball crosses the line football fans can celebrate fully again.

I was for VAR, but in reflection it hasn't fixed the problem and it has removed the greatest moments of being a fan. However much the implementation improves anyone who wants VAR to continue has to make peace with that and consider it worth it. Personally, I don't.

People on the tiktoks think that was a ploy to show everyone "see? VAR can be trusted" after wolves tables their motion. Based on the fact no one was claiming a pen, and people knew he got the ball
Conspiracy theorists of the world! Unite my brothers & sisters !

Scrap it and stick to automated offsides and the goal line tech, and then leave it alone. I would take an increase in the number of bad decisions based from the ref not seeing it, or just error, if it meant that when the ball crosses the line football fans can celebrate fully again.

I was for VAR, but in reflection it hasn't fixed the problem and it has removed the greatest moments of being a fan. However much the implementation improves anyone who wants VAR to continue has to make peace with that and consider it worth it. Personally, I don't.
It will get better over time. The biggest gripe is the amount of time it takes to officiate the offside decisions and the semi-automated will help with that.

As for the 'fans can fully celebrate'. I think that's bollocks when there are genuine reasons that goals should be given or not. And the fans get to celebrate twice now.

VAR isn't perfect but we are all quick to forget some of the awful decisions made before VAR. It will get better because of the furore surrounding some decisions. Like any new management it takes time to refine and mature.

what we need is a 2 tier scoring system like GAA, goals and goals later ruled out by VAR.

3 VAR disallowed goals = 1 real goal

The fans can legitimately celebrate everything then and VAR reviews carried out at slower pace.

this will totally work and not make things a nightmare to follow

Conspiracy theorists of the world! Unite my brothers & sisters !
If that is an attempt to paraphrase Marx and Engels, you have mis-punctuated it. The original is "Workers of the world unite! You have nothing to lose but your chains!" (well that's not the original original, but "workers" is more commonly used that the original "proletariat" these days)

Just like everyone else I don't think the problem is VAR, it lies with those who operate it and it's purposely being sabotaged in England.

I'm currently following the NHL playoffs. Now there's a sport where "VAR" works. Removing cameras would be inconceivable.
Granted its a stop watch sport so time isn't really an issue.

Back
Top Bottom