• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

THE ASHES... 2009

The Nomad

Very Well-Known
And so it begins... 50 days until the start of something special, less than 4 months until one nation has that little urn once more.

And to kick us off... Ponting rips into Strauss whilst he's not looking.

Aussies make Strauss Ashes target

Strauss walks off after his dismissal in Melbourne in the 2006-07 Ashes
Ricky Ponting has revealed Australia will target England captain Andrew Strauss in this summer's Ashes series.

Strauss has been impressive with the bat since taking over as skipper at the start of the year but struggled when England toured Australia in 2006-2007.

"We try to target the opposition captain a little bit," said Australia skipper Ponting ahead of Wednesday's announcement of their Ashes squad.

"If you do that you can generally take another couple of guys down with him."

And Ponting added: "He's an important player for them."

Australia's Ashes squad, which will be named on Wednesday, is set to include pacemen Brett Lee and Stuart Clark. Lee dismissed Strauss three times in the 2006-2007 Ashes, while Clark removed the left-handed opener on four occasions.

Strauss averaged 24.70 in a series in which England were thrashed 5-0 by a rampant Australia outfit that included veterans Glenn McGrath, Shane Warne and Justin Langer for the last time.

But the 32-year-old has an impressive career average of 43.96, with 17 Test centuries.

Ponting said: "We had the better of him out here in Australia last time, we had him under a lot of pressure and it's important that we start the series off the same way against them over there."

But a certain other player with a tremendous record against Australia will also be taxing the Australian think tank.

606: DEBATE
I believe Ponting will be the greatest threat to English hopes, but not for his captaincy

hblove
"I still think Kevin Pietersen's their class player and he seems to rise to the challenge of playing against better teams and better oppositions," stated Ponting. "He's one that we're going to have to keep under control as well."

Asked to rate the England side's current form, Ponting replied: "They seem to be going well. They would have been disappointed with the series loss in the West Indies but the only way to right the wrongs is to put some good performances on the board.

"And they've certainly done that in these last two games. They've been pretty relentless and ruthless the way they've gone about it, making West Indies follow on in both Test matches. I've said for a while they'll shape up as a good side."

Ponting, who was speaking at an event in Sydney to raise money for children affected by cancer, is confident his new-look side will be up to the task.

Australia came close to losing their number one ranking in Tests after series defeats by India and South Africa over the winter. But in their most recent rubber, they bounced back to win in South Africa in March.

"I know all the players have had one eye on the Ashes for a long time and we've been building our Test cricket up along the way to cope well and play well in English conditions," said Ponting, 34, who will be skippering Australia for a third Ashes series.

"With the group of players that we've got together now and the way that we performed in South Africa, I'm sure that we can play a level of cricket in England that's going to be good enough to win the series."

After overseeing his team's 2005 Ashes defeat, Ponting went on: "We've won almost everything there is in the game but one thing I haven't done as a captain is to win an Ashes series in England, so I'm certainly extra motivated this time around."

Whats your preferred Ashes line up?
Who do you think will win and by outcome?

Lay it all on this line here.

*Chunters something about Jerusalem and leaves thread*

Strauss
Cook
Bopara
Pieterson
Collingwood
Flintoff (if fit, obv)
Prior
Broad
Anderson
Swann
Onions

England to win 3-1.

Australian side to be named in the next half an hour. Expect Symonds to be in it fosho.

Wowzers! Symonds not included.

Guess that's what you get for being a drunken mess for so long.

Australia's Ashes Squad
Ricky Ponting (captain)
Michael Clarke (vice-captain)
Stuart Clark
Brad Haddin
Nathan Hauritz
Ben Hilfenhaus
Phillip Hughes
Michael Hussey
Mitchell Johnson
Simon Katich
Brett Lee
Graham Manou
Andrew McDonald
Marcus North
Peter Siddle
Shane Watson, subject to fitness

Some surprises in there, namely Manou and the ridiculously out-of-form Brett Lee.

For the English who may be unaware of some of those names - keep an eye out for Phillip Hughes who looks a real prospect at the top of the batting order, and Siddle who ripped the South African attack apart with the swinging ball.

Selecting injured players in Clark and Lee is a massive risk, especially when Hauritz is untried ad shite, and puts massive pressure on Johnson to continue taking wickets.

If England can find a way of combatting Johnson with the ball, they'll win.

The bookies make Oz the favourites. With that squad, I genuinely can't understand why. No Aussie team is a pushover but this one is VERY short on real quality. I fancy England strongly.

[quote author=Judge Jules link=topic=33622.msg871328#msg871328 date=1242825047]
The bookies make Oz the favourites. With that squad, I genuinely can't understand why. No Aussie team is a pushover but this one is VERY short on real quality. I fancy England strongly.
[/quote]

That's pretty much the Aussie team that won a test series in South Africa.

Trust me, just because some of the names aren't household names, doesn't mean the quality isn't there.

Youg Phil Huges has apparently been doing well for Middlesex. Mitchell Johnston has been a revelation of late and Hussey & Katich are very useful players, not to mention Ponting & Clarke who are top quality.

It's a young team in transition, but the competitiveness to do well is more apparent since the old guard have moved on. As I said, the quality is there as well.

It will be a big test for England.

[quote author=StevieM link=topic=33622.msg871684#msg871684 date=1242879012]
[/quote]

Trust me, just because some of the names aren't household names, doesn't mean the quality isn't there.

Youg Phil Huges has apparently been doing well for Middlesex. Mitchell Johnston has been a revelation of late and Hussey & Katich are very useful players, not to mention Ponting & Clarke who are top quality.

It's a young team in transition, but the competitiveness to do well is more apparent since the old guard have moved on. As I said, the quality is there as well.

[/quote]

What!

I can't believe the incredulity of you!

England just beat the West Indies at home you know, and have won The Ashes once in the last 816315013 years, so they're rightly favourites!

Neither team is looking that great to be fair.

I wouldn't call it either way.

[quote author=Ryan link=topic=33622.msg871716#msg871716 date=1242881947]
[/quote]

[/quote]

What!

England just beat the West Indies at home you know, and have won The Ashes once in the last 816315013 years, so they're rightly favourites!
[/quote]Haha.

[quote author=leftpeg link=topic=33622.msg870824#msg870824 date=1242768602]
Strauss
Cook
Bopara
Pieterson
Collingwood
Flintoff (if fit, obv)
Prior
Broad
Anderson
Swann
Onions

England to win 3-1.
[/quote]That would absolutely be mine too. If flintoff doesnt make it id play another swing bowler, jones or Sidebottom.

[quote author=Herr Onceared link=topic=33622.msg872178#msg872178 date=1242928547]
[quote author=leftpeg link=topic=33622.msg870824#msg870824 date=1242768602]
Strauss
Cook
Bopara
Pieterson
Collingwood
Flintoff (if fit, obv)
Prior
Broad
Anderson
Swann
Onions

England to win 3-1.
[/quote]That would absolutely be mine too. If flintoff doesnt make it id play another swing bowler, jones or Sidebottom.
[/quote]

Is Jones anywhere near fitness?

If he could stay fit for 5 minutes he'd be one of the best bowlers in the world IMHO.

Worcs.thought he was fit at the start of the season, but sure enough, he's currently back on the treatment table. I really don't know what his prospects are now. >:(

[quote author=Loch Ness Monster link=topic=33622.msg872313#msg872313 date=1242939353]
Doomed is Jones. He will never be able to stay fit enough to take wickets at that level again.
[/quote]Sadly i think Flintoff is only gritted teeth and an unwillingness to surrender away from joining him.

[quote author=Ryan link=topic=33622.msg871716#msg871716 date=1242881947]
[/quote]

[/quote]

What!

[/quote]

Sorry I forgot.

They'll definetely win the World Cup as well.

For Becks.

And Posh.

England & Wales will win IMO.

The Aussies have lost far too many of there greats recently + Not enough of them have the required experience of playing in English conditions.

[quote author=Judge Jules link=topic=33622.msg872631#msg872631 date=1242992027]
Well, that's certainly one thing that can't be said about you Irish lads.
[/quote]

ah-ha... but we've never once expected to win.... anything.... ever. (not counting the Eurovision Song Contest)

[quote author=Rafa4PM link=topic=33622.msg872634#msg872634 date=1242992298]

The Aussies have lost far too many of there greats recently + Not enough of them have the required experience of playing in English conditions.

[/quote]

That's the whole point. It's not about experience, it's about the sheer balls to go out and win. WQarne and Gilchrist had the right idea, they left on a high. Hayden wen on too long. The key thing here was that in going on so long, he was a barrier to the younger lads coming through. His record in Engalnd was patchy though, in any case.

This team have it all to prove again and there is a hunger about nthem that wasn't there in the last ashes.

Mitchel Johnston is a man to look for. I always thought he was shite and I can't get used to his bowling action at all, but his performances over the last few years have been outstanding, and not just with the ball.

The Aussie radio station I listen to on the way to work was going on about Bob Willis carping on about the lack of qualiy in the Aussie bowling attack.

Do not underestimate them. There's a lot on offer.

[quote author=StevieM link=topic=33622.msg872707#msg872707 date=1243000568]

[/quote]

That's the whole point. It's not about experience, it's about the sheer balls to go out and win. WQarne and Gilchrist had the right idea, they left on a high. Hayden wen on too long. The key thing here was that in going on so long, he was a barrier to the younger lads coming through. His record in Engalnd was patchy though, in any case.

This team have it all to prove again and there is a hunger about nthem that wasn't there in the last ashes.

Mitchel Johnston is a man to look for. I always thought he was shite and I can't get used to his bowling action at all, but his performances over the last few years have been outstanding, and not just with the ball.

The Aussie radio station I listen to on the way to work was going on about Bob Willis carping on about the lack of qualiy in the Aussie bowling attack.

[/quote]

Mate i don't doubt that the Aussies have a decent side (you don't go and beat the SA's on there own patch if this is not the case).

Its just for me they are now lacking in key areas, which will prove the difference.

Wicket keeper
Not a single decent spinner
No quality all rounder.
Experience

I fully expect England & Wales to turn them over, but then probably go over to OZ and get there arses handed to them again.

On a side note, as far as I'm concerned Mitchell Johnston is the best left arm quickie I've seen since Wasim Akram.

[quote author=Rafa4PM link=topic=33622.msg872713#msg872713 date=1243001692]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Mate i don't doubt that the Aussies have a decent side (you don't go and beat the SA's on there own patch if this is not the case).

Its just for me they are now lacking in key areas, which will prove the difference.

Wicket keeper
No quality all rounder.
Experience

I fully expect England & Wales to turn them over, but then probably go over to OZ and get there arses handed to them again.

On a side note, as far as I'm concerned Mitchell Johnston is the best left arm quickie I've seen since Wasim Akram.

[/quote]

Hadden has a top score of 169 and av. of 38 in Test cricket, which is fine. He's do. He's not Gilchrist with the baty, but his keeping's alright.

Spinner - agreed. Australia's achilles. no-one's stepped up since Warne & MacGill retired. That's an issue.

No quality alrounder - Symonds exlcusion, on the face of it does seem strange, but don't underestimate Shane Watson. If fit he's worth looking at. Fittness and ability to stay that way is the issue there.

Experience - the last Ashes Australia sent a team to England full of experience. They lost.

[quote author=StevieM link=topic=33622.msg872739#msg872739 date=1243004501]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Wicket keeper
No quality all rounder.
Experience

[/quote]

Hadden has a top score of 169 and av. of 38 in Test cricket, which is fine. He's do. He's not Gilchrist with the baty, but his keeping's alright.

Spinner - agreed. Australia's achilles. no-one's stepped up since Warne & MacGill retired. That's an issue.

No quality alrounder - Symonds exlcusion, on the face of it does seem strange, but don't underestimate Shane Watson. If fit he's worth looking at. Fittness and ability to stay that way is the issue there.

Experience - the last Ashes Australia sent a team to England full of experience. They lost.
[/quote]

Haddin will get found out on our tracks and he certainly weakens there batting for me.

I've seen a lot of Watson when he was over here at Hampshire and he's a decent player i guess, but has he ever even completed a full test series before?

The spinners available to the Aussies actually make Giles look good.

Whats happened to Tait? That lad looked like he was going to be a world class performer not so long ago. Lee, Tait and Johnston would have been a scary prospect.

[quote author=Rafa4PM link=topic=33622.msg872749#msg872749 date=1243005548]
[quote author=StevieM link=topic=33622.msg872739#msg872739 date=1243004501]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Wicket keeper
No quality all rounder.
Experience

[/quote]

[/quote]

Haddin will get found out on our tracks and he certainly weakens there batting for me.

I've seen a lot of Watson when he was over here at Hampshire and he's a decent player i guess, but has he ever even completed a full test series before?

The spinners available to the Aussies actually make Giles look good.

Whats happened to Tait? That lad looked like he was going to be a world class performer not so long ago. Lee, Tait and Johnston would have been a scary prospect.
[/quote]

Hadden will do fine.

Watson's fittness is key foir the Aussies. A bit like Flintoff.

Australia has noit test class spinners. That's an issue. Whether it's an issue that'll matter is another question though.

Tait's head's gone I think. In test cricket, accuracy has to be allied with pace. He has the pace, but his he's not the new Geoff Thompson

Regardless of bowling deficiencies, Ponting, Clarke and Hussey are capable of breaking games on their own. Not one over will be easy. We need Anderson to have the series of a life imo.

Absolutely right Oncy. The thing is, whilst Anderson has always looked like a wicket taker, he's never, until recently, looked very economical. I have my doubts.

It will be a lot closer this time around... doubt it will be 5-0.

Australia still have a much better team despite the big name departures since the last Ashes.

Flintoff
KP
Strauss
Prior
Monty/Swann/Rashid
Anderson

Would all get into the current Aussie team IMO, you could even make a strong argument for Broad as well.

[/quote]

[/quote]

Wicket keeper
No quality all rounder.
Experience

[/quote]

Wicket Keeper - Haddin's more than good enough. He's got over his initial dodgy spell, and has settled in very well. His batting average is more than good enough for a number 7/8.
Spinner - Yes, the only area where they are truly low on quality. Hauritz is a container rather than a wicket-taker. Still, didn't stop them in South Africa. And will the English pitches really require spin?
All-rounder - Early stages yet, but Mitchell Johnson could take up this role. He's probably in the top 2 or 3 cricketers on Earth over the last 18 months.
Experience - Ponting, Lee, Clark, Clarke, Johnson, Hussey, etc etc. That's all better than England can offer.

Australia will win.

I still think Freddie is the key player.

Broad and Anderson look very accomplished as opening bowlers, and whilst Broad continues to be expensive (It was Anderson at the same age), he continues to take key wickets at key times.

Swann looks like a world class spinner at the moment, very much in the form of his life. Too early to tell what Onions/Bresnan will be like. But for experience and that extra zip, I think Freddie will be key.

Batting wise, KP has been struggling ever since he lost the captaincy in my opinion... He'll no doubt raise his game for the Ashes. Cook, Bopara and Strauss all look in very good touch at the moment. Collingwood will be as stubborn as ever.

It'll be a very close series, but I still reckon it's got 1-1 written all over it.

Back
Top Bottom