• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

COLLAPSE

rurikbird

Part of the Furniture
Honorary Member
What a sad and pathetic way to end Klopp’s tenure at Liverpool. No one saw it coming and there is still no convincing explanation for the way players suddenly lost all confidence and ability to put the ball in the net - or defend or win midfield duels. This will hurt for a long while and I’m afraid even tarnish Klopp’s legacy.

Not in the mood to be angry at anyone - the team clearly overachieved for most of the season and then regressed to the mean, but just this trajectory couldn’t have been more painful.

Last edited:
Read somewhere that Klopp announcing that he was leaving turbocharged the players but that boost has just run out

Would it be better to secure top 4 having thought we were out of it than lose out on a title we thought we'd win.

No need to answer, I'm just being a twat

Disappointing end, hugely disappointing rather but we would've accomplished what we set out to do before the season began which was to get back into the top 4 after missing out last time. We've gone 1 further by adding the league cup which in itself is nothing to champion but it still goes down as a major honour in the record books, so a bit of perspective is needed as well.

Would it be better to secure top 4 having thought we were out of it than lose out on a title we thought we'd win.

No need to answer, I'm just being a twat

I know you said not to answer but title winning teams tend to go through missing out on the title and building on that experience.

So, maybe in the long term, lose out on a title…

What a sad and pathetic way to end Klopp’s tenure at Liverpool. No one saw it coming and there is still no convincing explanation for the way players suddenly lost all confidence and ability to put the ball in the net - or defend or win midfield duels. This will hurt for a long while and I’m afraid even tarnish Klopp’s legacy.

Not in the mood to be angry at anyone - the team clearly overachieved for most of the season and then regressed to the mean, but just the teajectory couldn’t have been more painful.

Agree with all of this apart from tarnishing his legacy... though looking back years from now, I can't help but think we'll all be having at least a bit of the "what ifs" about his time in charge.

Agree with all of this apart from tarnishing his legacy... though looking back years from now, I can't help but think we'll all be having at least a bit of the "what ifs" about his time in charge.
The what if will be him playing the same players over and over again. Even when he didn’t need to do it. Thinking back to the league win, he carried on playing Salah, Mane and everyone else when there was a chance to give them all an effective 6 months off.

This season he was blowing smoke up the arse of the youth players and then just jibbed them off. Endo is dead on his feet and there’s been opportunity to play one of the kids. Mac looks shot too and his minutes should’ve been managed better. I’ve done it to death in the Danns thread about him.

Not in the mood to be angry at anyone - the team clearly overachieved for most of the season and then regressed to the mean, but just the teajectory couldn’t have been more painful.
No one saw this team failing to win the league? I was fairly certain we wouldn't.

As you say though, it's more painful this way around, much of which has to do with klopp leaving.

It’s worth saying that in any other time, two points behind the leaders with 6 games to go, the title race would still be very much on.

It’s only with this City team and their financial doping means it’s over

Got home ... and maybe, just maybe ..

dumb-and-dumber-lloyd.gif

We were never destined to win the league this year. Brand new midfield. Trent missing. Robbo missing. Ali missing. Salah missing. Jota missing. When you have your big players missing for big chunks and are trying to rebuild, that’s too much. We’ve over achieved as it is.

That Diaz miss against city
Tha Doku Karate Kick
The Odious handball
The Spurs match
Misses against united
Missed against Palace

And we are just 2 points shy with 6 to go. It’s not the same city team as before. They may drop some points. But I’m not holding e breath either if we don’t turn that corner soon

Last edited:
It’s not the same city team as before. They will drop points for sure
No, they are having to abide by the rules now but even so their last 6 aren’t particularly difficult and there are in form

No one saw this team failing to win the league? I was fairly certain we wouldn't.

As you say though, it's more painful this way around, much of which has to do with klopp leaving.
No, I meant no one could have seen a collapse on all fronts coming, all within a couple of weeks and just as our best players have returned. We could have predicted falling short in the league, but historically under Klopp we always finished the season strongly - even in the two of our worst injury-riddled seasons we found some great form for the final stretch. So it’s uncharted territory for us to limp to the finish line like this, Arsenal-like.

Speaking of Arsenal… oh, this makes it even more painful. We could - we should - have been in clear first place right now.

No, I meant no one could have seen a collapse on all fronts coming, all within a couple of weeks and just as our best players have returned. We could have predicted falling short in the league, but historically under Klopp we always finished the season strongly - even in the two of our worst injury-riddled seasons we found some great form for the final stretch. So it’s uncharted territory for us to limp to the finish line like this, Arsenal-like.

Speaking of Arsenal… oh, this makes it even more painful. We could - we should - have been in clear first place right now.
I haven't been looking forward to Salah coming back. I'm just sensitive to being fucking boring talking about it.

And we'd still be leading the league if we weren't cheated at Spurs. I'll never get over what happened that day.
Or the Odegaard handball - admitted post match - or the Doku GBH.

Those three grate like nobody's business.

Or the Odegaard handball - admitted post match - or the Doku GBH.

Those three grate like nobody's business.

Or Trent’s miss vs Arsenal or two 5 on 2’s vs United or a million of Nunez’s missess. Or Alli and Van Dijk’s moments of madness at the worst possible time. Or Klopp not royally fucking up team selection and rotation in a crucial run starting with the Sparta games.

What makes it more painful is that we had it our hands so many times; we could and should have been 4-6 points ahead of competition at this stage, this season was actually perfectly set up to win Klopp’s 2nd title. This feels similar to the Paris final, just prolonged over a whole season (horrible thought, I know) - countless chances and inability to take them or rotten luck resulting in bitter disappontment.

Yeah, it’s going to sting for a while…

Last edited:
Let's face it, if you had been told at the start of the season we would be greatly reliant on Bradley, Kelleher, Endo, Quansah, and Thiago and Jota had missed all/loads of the games, and we were still competing against City and Arsenal then we would have been made up.

We've been getting results that flatter our performances for ages and it's now caught up with us. It's frustrating as fuck to fall away at the end, but ultimately it's decent progress on the shitshow of last year. I'm just sad for Klopp. It would have been lovely to send him off on a bigger high

Last edited:
Let's face it, if you had been told at the start of the season we would be greatly reliant on Bradley, Kelleher, Endo, Quansah, and Thiago and Jota had missed all/loads of tbe games, and we were still competing against City and Arsenal then we would have been made up.

We've been getting results that flatter our performances for ages and it's now caught up with us. It's frustrating as fuck to fall away at the end, but ultimately it's decent progress on the shitshow of last year. I'm just sad for Klopp. It would have been lovely to send him off on a bigger high
Top perspective as always Squiggy.

Or Trent’s miss vs Arsenal or two 5 on 2’s vs United or a million of Nunez’s missess. Or Alli and Van Dijk’s moments of madness at the worst possible time. Or Klopp not royally fucking up team selection and rotation in a crucial run starting with the Sparta games.

What makes it more painful is that we had it our hands so many times; we could and should have been 4-6 points ahead of competition at this stage, this season was actually perfectly set up to win Klopp’s 2nd title. This feels similar to the Paris final, just prolonged over a whole season (horrible thought, I know) - countless chances and inability to take them or rotten luck resulting in bitter disappontment.

Yeah, it’s going to sting for a while…

Apart from a month or so after the winter break, we’ve never had a sustained period of playing well. We won many matches by hook or by crook but to win the title, a team needs to find form.

Back
Top Bottom