• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

THE ASHES... 2009

[quote author=TheFasterBlade link=topic=33622.msg900658#msg900658 date=1246798295]
Whoops.

O.K. then, straight choice between Onions and Panesar. I'd play Onions.

[/quote]

It looks like that may well be the pick, all the pundits are now saying that only one spinner will be used in Cardiff. Personally I'd rather 2 spinners were played on that pitch.

I saw Onions v the Aussies and he looked very average in the 2nd innings.

I've got my selection pretty close.

Onions will start. Harmison to possibly come in for the second test.

[quote author=leftpeg link=topic=33622.msg870824#msg870824 date=1242768602]
Strauss
Cook
Bopara
Pieterson
Collingwood
Flintoff (if fit, obv)
Prior
Broad
Anderson
Swann
Onions

England to win 3-1.
[/quote]

Some call by me that. Hope I'm right with the sedond prediction there.

Fucking LOL at everyone claiming Lee being out is "good news" and a "massive boost for England's chances". This is the same Lee who, one week ago, wasn't even going to get in the side until he took 5-for in some warm-up game.

Stuart Clark's a pretty hand replacement.

[quote author=Ryan link=topic=33622.msg901507#msg901507 date=1246925865]
Fucking LOL at everyone claiming Lee being out is "good news" and a "massive boost for England's chances". This is the same Lee who, one week ago, wasn't even going to get in the side until he took 5-for in some warm-up game.

[/quote]

Any aussie problem can only be good news.

[quote author=Gareth link=topic=33622.msg901514#msg901514 date=1246926182]

[/quote]

Any aussie problem can only be good news.
[/quote]

Their lack of any form of spin is their biggest problem, not which one of their 700 medium-fast bowlers is injured this week.

[/quote]Are you officially an Australian now?

[quote author=Herr Onceared link=topic=33622.msg901581#msg901581 date=1246947842]

[/quote]Are you officially an Australian now?
[/quote]

Pfft, fucking hardly.

I pretty much hope England lose in every sport they play in mate. I also believe Australia have been ridiculously written-off prior to this Ashes.

Were you not around during the 2005 Ashes Ryan? England mashed up the Aussies!!!

The hype around the 2005 series is reaching '66 level. Listening to the radio today a number of people think we will walk the series cos Warne, Mcgrath et al are not playing forgetting the Aussies produce excellent cricketers, regardless of age and the lack of test experience they will be a very good side.

Oh also most people tend to forget the last Ashes series in Australia, where England were smashed.
I'm looking forward to it the games but this hype (delusion) is beginning to go a bit ott before a ball has been bowled.

nearly all the experts Ive heard have said how close this ashes test series will be, I guess you hear what you want to hear.

Neither team should feel overly confident going into this and I reckon it will be a close, exciting series but featuring 2 teams playing below their best. I reckon it will finish 2-1 either way with maybe England shading it due to home advantage.

[quote author=Ryan link=topic=33622.msg901657#msg901657 date=1246959328]

Pfft, fucking hardly.

I pretty much hope England lose in every sport they play in mate. I also believe Australia have been ridiculously written-off prior to this Ashes.
[/quote]

I'm an Aussie and we are no good thing. Ponting and Hussey need to find form.

[quote author=H link=topic=33622.msg901736#msg901736 date=1246964864]
nearly all the experts Ive heard have said how close this ashes test series will be, I guess you hear what you want to hear.
[/quote]

Correct. I think its been balanced to say the least.

Im not over confident myself. Our problem for years has been closing out games we should have won. So i see Australia battering us in ONE test and then us trying to knock them over for the other four.
Im going to say 1-1 Australia to retain thanks to our inability to take 10 wickets in a full days play.

[quote author=Herr Onceared link=topic=33622.msg901843#msg901843 date=1246973395]
[/quote]

Im not over confident myself. Our problem for years has been closing out games we should have won. So i see Australia battering us in ONE test and then us trying to knock them over for the other four.
Im going to say 1-1 Australia to retain thanks to our inability to take 10 wickets in a full days play.
[/quote]

I don't think either team's batting line-up inspires enough confidence to suggest that, should we get decent weather, there will only be 2 decisive test matches. I reckon we will get one or two draws at best (providing the long range weather forecast is correct in suggesting plenty of sunshine).

Lee being ruled out is huge. He's one of the only experienced match winning bowlers that the Aussies have and has over 300+ test wickets to his name. The Aussies were desperate to get Lee back into the starting line up so that he could take the new ball with Johnson, which might have given the them the edge in the seam bowling department. Now it looks like that potential advantage has gone and England clearly have the better spinners to pick from too.

looking forward to this, hope we bowl first and give them hell.

wonder how supportive of the england team the local glamorgan supporters will be?

I think we'll bat first, with only FF and KP making a show.

I expect Bopara to do well. Collingwood won't get past 20 in either innings.

[quote author=Pesam link=topic=33622.msg901887#msg901887 date=1246974828]
[quote author=Herr Onceared link=topic=33622.msg901843#msg901843 date=1246973395]
[/quote]

[/quote]

I don't think either team's batting line-up inspires enough confidence to suggest that, should we get decent weather, there will only be 2 decisive test matches. I reckon we will get one or two draws at best (providing the long range weather forecast is correct in suggesting plenty of sunshine).
[/quote] australia just rattled up 800 vs the lions in 3 days. We will struggle to knock em over. I hope we bowl first in every test.

[quote author=Ryan link=topic=33622.msg901522#msg901522 date=]
Their lack of any form of spin is their biggest problem, not which one of their 700 medium-fast bowlers is injured this week.
[/quote]

I would rate Lee a little faster than medium fast. After several months out, he rolls up vs the Lions and bowls on average 90mph, fastest ball about 95mph. That my friend is fast fast.
You are right though, Clark is more than adequate sub.

Christ I can't wait for this.

An absolutely massive toss to win. Ponting will want to bat first if they win it no doubt. Let's hope the first morning's play mirrors '05 rather than '07. That first day's play in the last series at Lord's was one of the best ever' Harmison and Hoggard fucking charging in and bouncing it all over hayden. Langer and Ponting's heads. Brilliant stuff.

Contrast that to Harmison bowling it to to second slip in the first day at the Gabba in 07!

I've gotta say I'm still surprised that England could go with two spinners in Cardiff. I read that in the 60/70 wickets taken at Cardiff this year in county cricket, less than 20 have been taken by recognised spinners. Maybe that says much about the quality of spin bowlers that have been playing there, but I'm still not sure it's gonna be turning as much as they say.

Still, it must encourage Strauss and the selectors to see such quality exponenetsm of the turning ball in Swann and Panesar, that they're so keen to play them. Makes a massive change from relying on the fucking 'King of Spain'.

If England bat first, expect Mitch Johnson to aim the ball squarely at Cook's head for half the morning. Similarly if Australia bat, expect Phil Hughes to be attempting to avoid balls to his ribs for the day. In big games like this, big players stand up. Watch for Ponting or KP to be making half centuries at least.

COME ON!

I'm excited too mate, but I think they've forecast rain for the first session at least.

We actually had a bloke come round on Monday to install a new aerial socket in our bedroom so my wife can watch whatever shite she wants. I'll have the 50" Viera thank you very much.

I'm on a self-imposed weekday drinking ban, but I'm very tempted to sup a few tonight.

If Monty plays on a turning deck I hope he has the balls to toss it up a bit.

[quote author=TheFasterBlade link=topic=33622.msg902304#msg902304 date=1247034478]
I'm excited too mate, but I think they've forecast rain for the first session at least.

We actually had a bloke come round on Monday to install a new aerial socket in our bedroom so my wife can watch whatever shite she wants. I'll have the 50" Viera thank you very much.

I'm on a self-imposed weekday drinking ban, but I'm very tempted to sup a few tonight.

If Monty plays on a turning deck I hope he has the balls to toss it up a bit.
[/quote]

Rain in the morning would work well for me, cos I won't be home until 10pm tonight.

I would be fucking stunned if Monty had the balls to toss it up, especially given his recent form, the fact that it's such a big game, and against such good batsmen. He'd be happy enough to contain rather than take wickets.

Swann on the other hand is a different prospect. He'll give it some air, and he'll take some scalps.

Back
Top Bottom