• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

THE ASHES... 2009

Am watching the build up on sky and the sun is shining. Don't think rain will feature for a while.

[quote author=the count link=topic=33622.msg902370#msg902370 date=1247043828]
any streams out there on the tinternet?
[/quote]

I'm trying to find one now will post it once i find one.

ENG: Strauss, Cook, Bopara, Pietersen, Collingwood, Prior, Flintoff, Swann, Broad, Panesar and Anderson.

AUS: Hughes, Katich, Ponting, Hussey, Clarke, North, Haddin, Johnson, Hauritz, Siddle and Hilfenhaus

[quote author=Bristow link=topic=33622.msg902391#msg902391 date=1247045409]
England won the toss. Chose to bat
[/quote]
That's very good news! Well done Strauss for winning the toss.

They say it's going to be a good batting wicket. If the Aussies had won the toss and batted first, they would probably have racked up a big score, which would have given them a big psychological advantage. Now England have the chance to do the same thing to the Aussies.

[quote author=Redshrek link=topic=33622.msg902393#msg902393 date=1247045594]
[quote author=the count link=topic=33622.msg902370#msg902370 date=1247043828]
any streams out there on the tinternet?
[/quote]

I'm trying to find one now will post it once i find one.
[/quote]

Cheers. I am struggling to find one big time!

[quote author=Bristow link=topic=33622.msg902394#msg902394 date=1247045631]
ENG: Strauss, Cook, Bopara, Pietersen, Collingwood, Prior, Flintoff, Swann, Broad, Panesar and Anderson.

AUS: Hughes, Katich, Ponting, Hussey, Clarke, North, Haddin, Johnson, Hauritz, Siddle and Hilfenhaus
[/quote]

Given that Broad is No. 8 and capable of hitting 30-40 runs, if it is a good batting pitch, maybe a draw is more likely than I originally thought.

Pesam prediction = Draw.

A good catch but a poor shot by Cook.

Siddle looks good, has both of the batsmen looking a bit nervous. Has delivered a couple of bouncers aswell, one of which got Ravi in the Helmet and he still looks unsettled.

You can look at the England batting line-up from the perspective of either the glass half-full or the glass half-empty.

You could say that England have a long tail if you assume that the tail starts with Prior. On the other hand, you could say that England bat right down the order as far as Jimmy Anderson!

90-3. Bopara out. Done by a slower ball for the second time, this time a fielder was able to get it. He never really looked confident. Johnson looking pretty good.

That was a great ball. Johnson will bowl in short bursts.

Siddle will bend his back like that all day. The cunt just doesn't tire.

[quote author=TheFasterBlade link=topic=33622.msg902443#msg902443 date=1247055171]
That was a great ball. Johnson will bowl in short bursts.

Siddle will bend his back like that all day. The cunt just doesn't tire.
[/quote]

The build 'em big an strong out in Gippsland... apparently.

He looks a bit like Craig McDermot to me.

Pietersen out to a stupid shot. Flintoff and Prior hitting it around. Not much fire in this bowling attack apart from Hilfenhaus who has impressed me.

We brought in a nightwatchman too early and paid the price. Prior was looking in really good touch

Most of the England batsmen were out playing bad shots, except Strauss and Flintoff who were both a bit unlucky.

Still, I will settle for 336-7. Broad, Anderson and Swann should be able to take the total well over 350 and the Aussies may not be able to better that on a wicket that is providing the bowlers with swing and spin.

Such a bad toss for Ponting to lose.

If the weather holds then the Aussies are fucked unless they at least match Englands 1st innings total.

Yep, i'm happy with the score but it could have been a lot better and put us almost out of touch.

[quote author=Portly link=topic=33622.msg902573#msg902573 date=1247075784]
Most of the England batsmen were out playing bad shots, except Strauss and Flintoff who were both a bit unlucky.

Still, I will settle for 336-7. Broad, Anderson and Swann should be able to take the total well over 350 and the Aussies may not be able to better that on a wicket that is providing the bowlers with swing and spin.
[/quote]

Every so called expert I heard today thought the wicket was perfect for batting. Should be an interesting match.

[quote author=Irish_Red link=topic=33622.msg902642#msg902642 date=1247092208]
[quote author=Portly link=topic=33622.msg902573#msg902573 date=1247075784]

[/quote]

Every so called expert I heard today thought the wicket was perfect for batting. Should be an interesting match.
[/quote]

The fact that the majourity of English batsmen got out playing silly shots might support that.

Someone from the Aussie team is going to hit a century on that pitch.

What a great first day.

Couldn't believe it when Stevie told me Clark had been omitted, and for a large part of the day it looked like a shocking decision. siddle can point to the fact that he took two wickets alright, but he was expensive, played far too wide of off-stump all day, and only got his wickets through fucking stupid wild swings from Flintoff and Prior.

KP's dismissal was outrageous. Whatever little he thought of Hauritz's threat before that shouldn't deter from the fact that if you keep walking across your stumps to play the hook shot, eventually someone (even Hauritz) is gonna catch on.

Midway through the day the Australians body language looked awful, they couldn't buy a wicket and were bowling up short, wide deliveries that every middle-order batsmen were dispatching. In a fucking flash they get two weak dismissals, England hand up the ascendancy they'd taken all day to build by bringing in Anderson as a nightwatchman, and now all of a sudden it's game on. If this game ends in a draw as it probably will, then you can blame England for not having the balls to win it. If the shoe was on the other foot Ponting would have bullied a victory out of that situation. Shows Strauss' inexperience really.

Still, great day's cricket.

Bit harsh to blame Prior for his dismissal, he just received a magnificent ball which swung in about a foot and a half.

[quote author=TheFasterBlade link=topic=33622.msg902696#msg902696 date=1247116006]
Bit harsh to blame Prior for his dismissal, he just received a magnificent ball which swung in about a foot and a half.
[/quote]

Yeah it was a good delivery, but like Flintoff - Prior failed to move his feet.

I can't believe how much of a hard time the press are giving KP, it was one of those freak shots, a rash decision by him to play it, fine, but some of the criticism has been way over the top. We're only on Day 2, maybe we should give the team a chance before we get on the backs of our players, especially the best one.

[quote author=Ryan link=topic=33622.msg902695#msg902695 date=1247115815]
England hand up the ascendancy they'd taken all day to build by bringing in Anderson as a nightwatchman, and now all of a sudden it's game on. If this game ends in a draw as it probably will, then you can blame England for not having the balls to win it. If the shoe was on the other foot Ponting would have bullied a victory out of that situation. Shows Strauss' inexperience really.

[/quote]

If it does turn out to be a draw, it won't have anything to do with putting in a nightwatchman for the last 5 overs of day 1's play.

Back
Top Bottom