• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The Caicedo Bid...

Status
Not open for further replies.

moron

i am legend
People say that FSG were serious about it, were they really ? - the common answer is always "Of course it was, why would the club bring upon itself negative PR...".

Personally, I would not put it past them, only a few days before the biggest trend on the internet was FSGOUT (well near the top of the list). We know our owners are gamblers, always leaving us 80% prepared for the season. After the summer spending shambles, it should be clear to us - they were never going to spend more than 100M GBP on players, and they stuck to it by shorting us in that CDM position. They knew for sure - absolutely certain they knew that Caicedo was never going to join us, that bid was a bollox bid coz ultimately it's the player that decides. They know that, - it was all smokes and mirrors to keep the FSG Outers happy and save them from the situation that the Glazers keep facing. They (FSG) don't give a shit about players saying in public that they would rather join Chelsea than us - why would they ? - it happens all the time anyway when a player has a choice of clubs. FSG have never been known to do business in public, but that whole transfer saga was as public as you could get, it's like....they were trying to say to the fanbase "Hey.. we really are going for it..." - and at the same time behaving like fucking Delboy in negotiating a price for Lavia .. did they and Klopp even want him ? - I doubt it.

We knew we really needed a CDM, one that would fit our team, and yet we went out and got a 30-year old Endo, and such is our confidence in this guy that we would rather play a partial 6 in Alexis who had just come from a high altitude game in South America the night before rather than a player we bought who is an actual 6 in Endo. How fucked up are we as a club when we do shit like this ?

I am raising this now coz I think that we have enough depth in other areas, but for a few extra million to get a more dynamic DM we may fall short to win a title. I can see that happening.

Don't get me wrong - I never wanted Caicedo for that much - I would not go beyond 50M for any type of CDM player. Also we all know that if FSG ever spent that much on one player - then it would be curtains on any transfer for Jan and possibly even next summer with the way they operate.

Last edited:
You're completely wrong. Our owners are categorically not gamblers, at least not in the sense you think.

They're incredibly risk averse. What they are concerned about - the valuation of the club and it's financial stability - is just different from what we as supporters care most about.

Caicedo ticked all the boxes from a risk management perspective.

He was Premier League proven, young, injury free, versatile and almost certain to retain his value. Also, his wage demands weren't too high.

@moron, our interest and bid on Caicedo was real. When that didn't work out we instead went for Endo, who clearly is nothing more than a stopgap.
I think it was a calculated decision. None of our preferred DM targets were available that late in the transfer window. The plan was never to play McAllister as a "6", that's pretty evident from our preseason games.
I think Klopp was expecting Thiago to be fit by now. He'd be given the no 6 role and we'd make another assessment before the start of the January window.

So far from the responses what I read are that LFC supporters have been completely taken in by the FSG fiasco over the summer. I am convinced they knew that bid was never gonna be accepted by the player and his agent. How any of you can think that Endo was all we could afford in that DM role when allegedly we were gonna spunk over 100M on Caicedo is beyond belief.

You're completely wrong. Our owners are categorically not gamblers, at least not in the sense you think.

They're incredibly risk averse. What they are concerned about - the valuation of the club and it's financial stability - is just different from what we as supporters care most about.

I get that totally which is why I think the bid was a publicity stunt to appease the the angry supporters. They knew the deal was gonna fall through anyway, and in the end they managed to stick to their budget of 100M GBP net spend.

So far from the responses what I read are that LFC supporters have been completely taken in by the FSG fiasco over the summer. I am convinced they knew that bid was never gonna be accepted by the player and his agent. How any of you can think that Endo was all we could afford in that DM role when allegedly we were gonna spunk over 100M on Caicedo is beyond belief.

The only poster who's raised that idea is you. Nobody thinks Endo was all we could afford. As others have said, he's a stopgap till at least January when we'll have another look at what's out there.

Sorry @moron i don’t believe the caicedo conspiracy stuff but i think you have a point about Endo. It is concerning that we played Macallister at 6 last match, yes he’s still new / settling / learning but it’s starting to look a little bit like Klopp doesn’t fancy Endo.

People will rightly point out Endo is still in his grace period and he may yet become important to us. The next few matches will tell us more, it might show that Endo is firmly a cup starter, at least for now.

Yeah - we talked to the player knowing he probably had zero interest in coming to us.

His agents indicated to us he was open to the move, hence our interest and you can bet his wage went up at Chelsea afterward.

Yeah - we talked to the player knowing he probably had zero interest in coming to us.

Bidding £110 million for a player when you don't have the money doesn't seem the most risk averse choice.

It's a bit like asking your cousin to marry you.

I wrote a post lauding FSG for being bold and backing Klopp, but what happened to getting a CB, was that down to owners or Klopp/Pep/Fat George (trio)? Window is shut, even though I reluctantly backed us getting Moises because Klopp rated him, I am glad we missed out.
I'd like FSG out and a rich oil state come in and back us, but it ain't in our powers for that to happen. I'll moan, but I won't pretend me posting on a forum my dissatisfaction is anyway constructive, other than letting off steam.
Endo, didn't have a preseason, and needs time to adjust. He will hopefully get all the game time against LASK and Leicester

For this theory to work, you'd have to assume that if we DIDN'T bid 110 million for Caicedo then all the fans would have gone into meltdown against the owners. Does anyone really think that would have happened?

Maybe if we had lost a few games it would, but the fact that we have started the season well has nothing at all to do with the Caicedo bid. If anything, the charge would have been 'why did you waste your time on Caicedo'.

The FSGOUT thing is over exaggerated anyway. I recall a bit of grumbling online but I don't recall any protests outside the ground, people ripping up season tickets etc. I doubt the owners really noticed to be honest.

It's utterly hilarious that people are seriously considering bidding and having a £110million bid accepted was some sort of PR stunt, you guys should talk to your local herbalife rep, they've got a great business opportunity for you.

It's utterly hilarious that people are seriously considering bidding and having a £110million bid accepted was some sort of PR stunt, you guys should talk to your local herbalife rep, they've got a great business opportunity for you.

Just to clarify it’s not people - it’s a person

It's not like we've never pulled out of deals when we've agreed a fee

For this theory to work, you'd have to assume that if we DIDN'T bid 110 million for Caicedo then all the fans would have gone into meltdown against the owners. Does anyone really think that would have happened?

Maybe if we had lost a few games it would, but the fact that we have started the season well has nothing at all to do with the Caicedo bid. If anything, the charge would have been 'why did you waste your time on Caicedo'.

The FSGOUT thing is over exaggerated anyway. I recall a bit of grumbling online but I don't recall any protests outside the ground, people ripping up season tickets etc. I doubt the owners really noticed to be honest.

Yeah the FSGOUT trend started happening when Chelsea put in their bid for Lavia, after which we decided to show a sudden interest in Caicedo. Putting in 100M+ for a player with one years worth of proven prem experience, and in a team that finished below us when we were really playing with 10/9 men per game is not part of the blueprint of buying value for money players. Add the fact that JWH has previous with Todd, then you can understand why a gangster boy like JWH will throw the dice in to raise the price of Caicedo with a false bid accepted only by the selling club and not the player - no doubt as a form of revenge for bidding for Lavia. There is no conspiracy here - its part of the FSG playbook that so many of you have fallen for with the fuck all net spend and leaving us short each season.

Ask yourself this - if our club was interested in buying any player for 100M+ they would damn well make sure that talks with that player+agent would have taken place months before and things would have been done quietly - the whole thing was pure 100% bullshit - there was no reputational damage other than the ego of the fans that were hit by the player selecting Chelsea - he was NEVER interested in us. If we were going to buy that player for that much, Klopp would have had his secret meetings leading up to any potential purchase.

Also - just to make it clear - I just wanted to get opinions on the whole summer saga, I never wanted him for that price so the fact that he never joined does not bother me one bit. The only thing I noticed about him that I thought was useful was his ability to cover at RB, but as a pure/progressive DM - I don't think he is in the same class as the Bissouma we are seeing playing for Spurs this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom