• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The Darwin evolution

Status
Not open for further replies.

rurikbird

Part of the Furniture
Honorary Member
Kind of have to go with the obvious title here…

Darwin already seems to be dividing opinion - he plays in a different way compared to what we as fans and his teammates are used to and he is not a finished article either. I see no cause for concern, but it’s true that he doesn’t seem like a natural fit quite yet - and it would frankly be surprising if he did. People who make the fail comps from pre-season games have way too much time on their hands and they will probably also have an egg on their face once he starts scoring - but knee-jerk defending of the player is also not helpful.

We know what we bought - a player with top-class striker potential, but someone who has space for learning and improving (and is eager to learn and improve!) and who will definitely benefit from working with Klopp. There will be ups and downs on this path. Let’s be patient and enjoy the process!

Last edited:
I haven't seen him play yet, watched about 10 mins of today's game before getting bored - but hearing about people writing him off based on games I can't even be arsed watching is standard and expected in the shithole of a world that Twitter has led to.

I'd be surprised if he starts against Fulham, and that's fine.

We've played a certain way for years, course is going to take time for everyone to adapt.

I've no concerns

I think it's a good thing that he's a little different, he will adapt over time. But he will hopefully be able to provide something different against those teams that have gotten used to how we play.

It's just a bit weird because I think from all of our big money signings he could be the first to not completely settle in straight away.

Let's not forget he's also played about 30 seconds for us.

I think it's a good thing that he's a little different, he will adapt over time. But he will hopefully be able to provide something different against those teams that have gotten used to how we play.

It's just a bit weird because I think from all of our big money signings he could be the first to not completely settle in straight away.

Let's not forget he's also played about 30 seconds for us.
We’re still waiting on Keita.

Can't wait till he bangs in 50 this season bit like Mo's first season with us and then every twatter nobhead can STFU. Then of course everyone will say fluke to which he'll bang in 35 the following season

Nunez is just lacking a bit of confidence and fitness, which is normal considering everything's new to him. Once he picks up the language and puts on his swag, the goals will come. It's good that he'll get a full pre-season before making his proper debut.

It took Nunez a whole season to adapt to the Portuguese league. Fabs and Robertson had to wait months before getting proper playing time.

What we need is a player like Adama to fire in those crosses from the right

Nunez is just lacking a bit of confidence and fitness, which is normal considering everything's new to him. Once he picks up the language and puts on his swag, the goals will come. It's good that he'll get a full pre-season before making his proper debut.

Once Bobby masters English he'll go up another level too!

I don't think we'll get the best out of him unless we find a way to use his running power. That seems to be his best attribute.

He's not a goal poaching 9 like Jota or a false 9 like Firmino or even a pivot like Kane. He could be a battering ram type 9 like Drogba surrounded by a number of supporting runners from midfield and the wing, but that's not the way we play at all.

I think if you're using him in a 4-3-3, his best position will be at LWF, with Jota at the 9. That's certainly how Benfica used him, because you need to give him the chance to stretch his legs and absolutely consume space, or you're underutilising his main attribute.

The other way you can set up is a 4-2-2-2, with Darwin and Salah as the two forwards, both attacking space. That also allows you to play the likes of Diaz, Carvalho, Elliott, Jones in the inside half-space positions, where they're probably best suited to play. Can also then get away with our lack of midfield options as you'd only be playing with 2 sitting CMs (Fab-Thiago first choice and Henderson-Keita in rotation).

Last edited:
My main criticism of us at the end of last season was that the way we play has been the same for more or less 5 years, and we'd become slightly predictable. So an added new element in the mix is a good thing.

I don't like the idea of Jota as a false 9. He just doesnt have the touch or intelligence. And its debatable whether Firmino is still up for it.

Best system for Nunez would be either a 4-3-1-2 as a striker that drifts left like Henry used to, while Salah drifts out to the right sided channels.

Or a 4-4-2, but with flexible, fluid wide players.

Lots of talk of 4-2-3-1 but cant see Klopp veering from his beloved 4-3-3.

What about a front 3 that looks like this . . . Salah taking up right sided positions, Darwin taking up left sided positions, and Diaz given the freedom to play the free role behind them.

Diaz
Salah Nunez

Or do we feel Diaz HAS to play on the wing?

I don't think we'll get the best out of him unless we find a way to use his running power. That seems to be his best attribute.

He's not a goal poaching 9 like Jota or a false 9 like Firmino or even a pivot like Kane. He could be a battering ram type 9 like Drogba surrounded by a number of supporting runners from midfield and the wing, but that's not the way we play at all.

I think if you're using him in a 4-3-3, his best position will be at LWF, with Jota at the 9. That's certainly how Benfica used him, because you need to give him the chance to stretch his legs and absolutely consume space, or you're underutilising his main attribute.

The other way you can set up is a 4-2-2-2, with Darwin and Salah as the two forwards, both attacking space. That also allows you to play the likes of Diaz, Carvalho, Elliott, Jones in the inside half-space positions, where they're probably best suited to play. Can also then get away with our lack of midfield options as you'd only be playing with 2 sitting CMs (Fab-Thiago first choice and Henderson-Keita in rotation).
Actually if you watch all of his goals (there's a YT video of these somewhere) you can see that he absolutely is someone who scores a high percentage of his goals from inside the 6 yd box - from the linked video of all 48 Benfica goals he scored 18 from inside the 6 yd box (5 headers) and with another 5-6 from 7-8 yds.

I actually posted this somewhere a while back (here it is : http://www.sixcrazyminutes.com/threads/bye-bye-sadio.187023/page-25#post-2146693) and mentioned that he gives us something different by being just that type of player, as well as being a player that can use his pace. Although a different player to Mane the way he scores his his goals is actually remarkably similar and once he settles and integrates I can see him being exactly that player and the poacher/finisher we could really do with.

Last edited:

You can see they are obsessively working on movement and understanding right now - not just Klopp, but senior players like Thiago have a clear understanding and buy-in into the tactical evolution of playing with a “proper 9” and doing their part to make it happen. This is actually exciting - or will be exciting once it all clicks and comes together.

Last edited:
Young lad , no English, massive fee and therefore expectation - no concerns if it takes him weeks /vmonths to settle , I'm sure his introduction and therefore for the evolution of the way we play will be phased anyway

Klopp’s remark reminds of what he said about Minamino; he makes runs which his teammates don’t see.

What he said was true though – and after he returned from loan the teammates did start finding him more with good effect in those cup games. Taki just didn't have the physical attributes to be a starting 11 forward for us, but that has nothing to do with Nunez.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom