• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The Donkey

Darwin when Klopp is giving him instructions:

200w.gif

1JgMg5.gif

Are there any top teams that play a front two or a variation of it?

Nunez feels like the sort of striker that would be much better off in the tier below the top teams...

Might as well keep him then actually.

Are we back to calling him the Uruguayan Divock Origi yet?

Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord Divock in vain.

Man… you’re ruining my set up, for when I point out Lord Divock had a better goals to minutes played ratio in the Premier League for us than the Donkey of Chaos!!!

You know what happens in a football team when someone is shite and can’t finish? People will prefer to pass to someone else.
We all know Darwin can finish. Beside where we not getting the same sort of thing from Salah and Mane?

Man… you’re ruining my set up, for when I point out Lord Divock had a better goals to minutes played ratio in the Premier League for us than the Donkey of Chaos!!!

Darwin has 86 games to score the 8 goals he’s behind Divock in total to equal his record.

175 - 41 Divock

89 - 33 Nunez

We all know Darwin can finish. Beside where we not getting the same sort of thing from Salah and Mane?

Very different, they were two confident forwards who wanted every chance to themselves and were taking them frequently.

He can finish but is he a finisher?

If Amorim does get the job - Nunez is going to be leading the line and our entire season will likely rest on his ability, to score a bucket load more than 15 league goals - he’ll need to be over 20 for sure.

This is partly why I wanted Inzaghi - he plays with 2 strikers and Nunez seems to fit perfectly into the profile of Marcus Thuram/Arnautovic type next to a more clinical/creatve player like Lautaro (which would be Salah/Jota for us).

Amorim does seem to play with one striker and 2 AMs (or a combination of an AM and a pure winger), but this can work too if those AMs are able to score loads. Someone like Carvalho seems like a perfect hybrid of #10 and scorer, so we might not necessarily rely on Nunez to become Harry Kane.

Last edited:
The 'agent of chaos' stuff is a mask for his deficiencies. I don't want a cult player, that's for Everton, I want a ruthless, world class predatory striker. A top striker for us should be nearly a goal a game with the chances we create. He's 20 in 59 in the League. I don't hate him, he has qualities but he's not good enough. The best players score goals when you need them, not when it's a cherry on the cake.

The 'agent of chaos' stuff is a mask for his deficiencies. I don't want a cult player, that's for Everton, I want a ruthless, world class predatory striker. A top striker for us should be nearly a goal a game with the chances we create. He's 20 in 59 in the League. I don't hate him, he has qualities but he's not good enough. The best players score goals when you need them, not when it's a cherry on the cake.
Like the two against Newcastle away? Or the winner in the 99 minute?

I didn't like his energy but our team was done playing football or getting the balls to the forwards for the last 35 minutes.

This is correct. We'd run out of ideas by the time he came on.

The bigger issue is why our record signing isn't good enough to start.

This is correct. We'd run out of ideas by the time he came on.

The bigger issue is why our record signing isn't good enough to start.

I don't know why we keep hanging him on being expensive. Again, Salah is the one who started on name only. He's our most expensive player.

I think it's a little silly to look at any individual player though. We haven't been able to train on how to play for a while now, and it's all fallen apart, and it can't be propped up by our legs now that we are shot.

I think what we are trying to do is flawed and overcomplicated. Maybe it could work, but given that we are never, ever going to find out, I'd like to see something a little simpler.

No, not simpler like hoofing shit in the general direction of whatever striker is up there. Not that simple.

He's played his best coming in from the left. When jota got injured and Cody turned to shite, klopp has almost exclusively played him through the middle, against a low block and its just not been him.

He's had no space or time to get a head of steam up...

I dont really know why he gets flack for yesterdays performance. Our idea of attacking was passing it between Macca, Konate and Virgil so Alisson could hoof it from midfield. It was shocking to watch in all honesty. Could have just saved Jota and Nunez for Sunday.

You got to figure at the absolute elite end of the game it’s fine margins between success and failure.

Darwin has, at times, shown excellent composure and finishing, but it’s about doing it consistently.

He’s like a decent keeper that has a regular clanger in his game - and Christ we’ve seen plenty of those - which makes him a liability and makes you appreciate consistently good keepers like Reina & Alisson were/are.

And that’s Darwin, he has all the attributes to reach the highest elite levels… he just hasn’t got the consistency to hit the levels often enough.

The goals against Newcastle were last August FFS. Let's face it, the striker who came off the bench that day was a blip, we haven't seen that since.
I think he’s far from the finished article but he’s scored plenty of worldies this season. Look a compilation of his goals and assists this year and you’d think we have a superstar.

Newcastle and West Ham are the only teams in the top half that he has scored against this season. The Newcastle game increasingly looks like an outlier.
He’s one of those players that you look at and think “If he could just….. he’d be a world-beater” but I just don’t think it’s going to happen. Don’t get me wrong, I want him to succeed. I want all our players to succeed.
Time for us to move him on and move on. If he stays another season we’ll all be having this same conversation this time next year, but he’ll be a year older with less time in his contract. He’s a headache our new manager can do without.

Back
Top Bottom