• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The Ev - how NOT to run a football club

This season an 8 point deduction hasn't had the desired (by us) effect due to the three promoted clubs being the weakest I can remember. However, next season's crop (Ipswich, Leicester and Southampton/Leeds) will be a stronger bunch and will hopefully get the job done if they do go into administration over the summer
]

Are you sure about that? Leicester are going to probably have a point deduction also to start the season.

I expect Ipswich will be no better than Luton.

Are you sure about that? Leicester are going to probably have a point deduction also to start the season.

I expect Ipswich will be no better than Luton.
Ah yes forgot Leicester were in the shit too

On the subject of teams who may be in the PSR shit next year, I took a high-level look at the surviving PL clubs, plus Leicester. Can't be arsed with Ipswich and whoever comes up via the play-offs as they'll almost certainly be shite and go back down anyway. Basically, I did a high-level PSR calc for each of the last two years and then assumed current year will basically duplicate 2022-23. I then compared those results to their absolute target of £105m losses, or £83m in the case of Leicester, Forest and Fulham, who each spent one of the last 3 seasons in the Championship.
There are a few teams who have probably been safe the last few years only because COVID adjustments gave them a better overall result. Those COVID-affected years should drop out this year.

SAFE
The following teams should have nothing to worry about:

Liverpool
Man City (until the 115 verdict, obvs)
Tottenham
West Ham
Bournemouth
Brighton
Palace
Brentford

LOOKING OVER THEIR SHOULDERS
These teams could be in the poop unless they better last season's financial results

Man United (Champions League group income may tip the balance)
Arsenal (probably OK given performance this year)
Wolves (probably OK after player sales at the start of the season)
Fulham (again, sale of Mitrovic may dig them out)

SHOULD BE FUCKED (BUT MAY GET OUT OF IT)
The numbers are not looking good for this lot...

Chelsea
Everton
Newcastle
Villa
Leicester (blown limit even before current year)
Forest (Johnson sale will help but may not be enough)

The fate of these clubs may rest on their ability to make significant player sales imminently, or, in the case of Chelsea, to get away with bending the rules on intra-group sales (2 years running).

I don't believe administration would clear the decks. They would still be up before the commission for a PSR breach, but I think there's a good chance the commission would apply a significant reduction to any penalty levied if they had already received a significant points penalty for essentially the same issues (i.e. they get deducted 9 points for going into administration, but the reason for the admin is essentially the same losses they'd be punished for under the PSR rules).
That situation might be different if they went into administration this week - the panel might give less mitigation to a points deduction in 2024-25 if the administration penalty had been imposed in 2023-24.
Which in itself gives rise to an obvious opportunity to govern.

Should the [whatever governance body it is] warn clubs NOW that if they don't do x, y, z or DO do a, b, c then they will be auto docked points?

Which in itself gives rise to an obvious opportunity to govern.

Should the [whatever governance body it is] warn clubs NOW that if they don't do x, y, z or DO do a, b, c then they will be auto docked points?
I think the regulator needs to work in the shadows - i.e. they should try to influence things behind the scenes - leave the football authorities to govern, but steer them in the right direction. The second they interfere directly with an individual club there will be murder. They should exercise influence over leagues, not clubs.
And we're still some way off a regulator even existing - the Bill hasn't passed and even when passed the appointment of a regulator is an optional thing. Chances are the country will be under new management before they get there.

Ahead of the final match of the 2024/25 Premier League season at Arsenal on Sunday, the Club can confirm captain Seamus Coleman and Ashley Young are to be offered new one-year contracts, while an option to extend Idrissa Gana Gueye’s deal until the end of June 2025 has been activated.

Lolz at another season with Coleman and Young. They have nothing to spend. Nothing.

City will not face relegation, the UK Government will make sure of that. What you will probably get is 15-20 point penalty, a freeze on transfers and and a 8 figure financial penalty. If you're expecting anything worse, don't hold your breath.
This will stop them winning a 5th title confirming the PL as a farmers League

If they are found guilty and get a slap on the wrist, how do you think the other 19 clubs in the league will feel about it at the following shareholders meeting?

City aren’t a big thing for the league. They aren’t Chelsea, Arsenal, Scum and definitely not us. They are no marks. They don’t bring to the game.

City will not face relegation, the UK Government will make sure of that. What you will probably get is 15-20 point penalty, a freeze on transfers and and a 8 figure financial penalty. If you're expecting anything worse, don't hold your breath.
This will stop them winning a 5th title confirming the PL as a farmers League

If they don't get worse, I'm actually done with top flight football.

Simon jordan and Stefan Borson were talking about settlement a few weeks ago, not sure where that chat came from but it seems to be the way the wind is currently blowing.

If they are found guilty and get a slap on the wrist, how do you think the other 19 clubs in the league will feel about it at the following shareholders meeting?

City aren’t a big thing for the league. They aren’t Chelsea, Arsenal, Scum and definitely not us. They are no marks. They don’t bring to the game.
The Government will pressurise the FA to make sure any punishment they give does not upset the UAE Royal Family. The FA will tell the other teams and the world what ever team is met out is groundbreakingly harsh for the PL.

Simon jordan and Stefan Borson were talking about settlement a few weeks ago, not sure where that chat came from but it seems to be the way the wind is currently blowing.
A few weeks ago several YouTubers received cease and desist letters after the media went all quiet on it. All of a sudden the press mention it all the time now. Which is weird.

The Government will pressurise the FA to make sure any punishment they give does not upset the UAE Royal Family. The FA will tell the other teams and the world what ever team is met out is groundbreakingly harsh for the PL.
How often do the Premier League tell the FA to go fuck themselves? All the time. Do you think we would just take it on the chin? Arsenal? Man U? Everton & Forest after their deductions? What about the likes of Palace who have balanced the books alongside all the other sides.

The Premier League is made up of these clubs. They can really do what they want to a certain extent. If enough voted for it, they would just kick City out.

I'll believe it when I see it. They've paid their way into the group of clubs not to be trifled with. They'll get a slap and that's all.

Seamus is 36 in October (€2.8m) and Cole is 38 in a few weeks (€2m).

What do they expect out of this? No-one is going to buy them and they should easily be replaced from the U23s for less than or the same salary surely

Coleman this season has been in the EPL squad 18 times (Starting: 7, Substitute: 5, Watching:6)

Last edited:
Seamus is 36 in October (€2.8m) and Cole is 38 in a few weeks (€2m).

What do they expect out of this? No-one is going to buy them and they should easily be replaced from the U23s for less than or the same salary surely

Coleman this season has been in the EPL squad 18 times (Starting: 7, Substitute: 5, Watching:6)

Starting to feel sorry for poor Seamus, imagine being forced to watch that shit.

I'll believe it when I see it. They've paid their way into the group of clubs not to be trifled with. They'll get a slap and that's all.
I truly believe they will be made an example of. If not to stop the rest of the clubs being pissed off, but to protect the “product” of the league. Any time someone mentions city’s records it will be associated with cheating. 4 titles on the bounce. Cheating. Treble. Cheating. Auguerroooooo. Cheating.

If found guilty they will be relegated. Not just down to the Championship.

The Premier League will do what it can to protect the Premier League.

Don't think he can. THat's the whole point of an "option", the other party has no say

It wasn't a straightforward option to extend though. Apparently they offered him a player/coach deal, which will have been sufficiently different from his current deal to make it effectively a new contract.

I truly believe they will be made an example of. If not to stop the rest of the clubs being pissed off, but to protect the “product” of the league. Any time someone mentions city’s records it will be associated with cheating. 4 titles on the bounce. Cheating. Treble. Cheating. Auguerroooooo. Cheating.

If found guilty they will be relegated. Not just down to the Championship.

The Premier League will do what it can to protect the Premier League.

i really hope you’re right but i can see both parties wanting to bury the cheat chat and get on with minimal fuss

i really hope you’re right but i can see both parties wanting to bury the cheat chat and get on with minimal fuss
I’m pretty sure both would like it all to go away, especially when you consider the cease and desist letters. It won’t happen though. In the modern world, it will always be out there and will always be used against them. There’s also a risk it would alienate a lot of fans. Which in turn hurts their pockets.

Back
Top Bottom