• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • Repeating an offer I made a while ago. If anyone wants me to change their username then just DM me (@Dee)

The Ev - how NOT to run a football club

Hey @Beamrider - with the Tories dumping the legislation for an Independent regulator, there’s a fair chance it’ll not happen as I’d imagine if Labour get in they’ll have their hands full sorting out all manner of other shit.

Do you think the Premier League will change tact now they don’t have the threat of someone breathing down their neck, or they’ll park the need to aggressively show they can “self regulate”.

Hey @Beamrider - with the Tories dumping the legislation for an Independent regulator, there’s a fair chance it’ll not happen as I’d imagine if Labour get in they’ll have their hands full sorting out all manner of other shit.

Do you think the Premier League will change tact now they don’t have the threat of someone breathing down their neck, or they’ll park the need to aggressively show they can “self regulate”.
I believe Labour are on record as supporting the regulator and I suspect it will be in their manifesto - it's generally popular with the voting public and can be done at little cost. So I don't see things changing too much, just a delay, during which the PL will be on best behaviour and will no doubt petition to water things down. But I think Labour will see this as an easy win and get it done. Their sports minister won't have many other higher priorities so can focus on it.

I believe Labour are on record as supporting the regulator and I suspect it will be in their manifesto - it's generally popular with the voting public and can be done at little cost. So I don't see things changing too much, just a delay, during which the PL will be on best behaviour and will no doubt petition to water things down. But I think Labour will see this as an easy win and get it done. Their sports minister won't have many other higher priorities so can focus on it.
The media could be the first thing they’d want to tackle. I do agree regulation of the Premier LEague would be an easy one though. Depending how far the department have gone down that road.

The media could be the first thing they’d want to tackle. I do agree regulation of the Premier LEague would be an easy one though. Depending how far the department have gone down that road.
There is draft legislation in circulation so Labour could quite easily re-table it (or put out their revised draft, which I'm sure they'll have already done).
I would love to see them go after the media, but I'd be amazed if they put "Leveson 2" in the manifesto. As much as it would probably be popular with the public, it would mean the print media giving them even more grief over the next 6 weeks.

Aren’t they trying to address foreign ownership of the press and other media outlets?

Guardian reporting that 777 are expected to miss the deadline to complete their takeover (5am, Saturday morning UK time).
Moshiri then entitled to speak to / deal with all those other suitable buyers who've been banging at the door for months now.
And then they'll need to go through the fit and proper persons test. This one is likely to drag out all summer.

I assume someone is paying the staff wages?
It's a very good point @dee and not just the wages, they'll need to pay the construction costs for Bramley-Moore too. It was reported at the end of April that they were reliant on funding from 777 to pay "operational costs" so cash-flow will be tight.
However, I'd guess that wages would be due by, at the latest, today, and I'm pretty sure we'd hear if staff hadn't been paid.
I expect they'll be paying in advance on Bramley-Moore so probably a bit of wiggle room there.
But if 777 aren't able to complete the takeover, then I doubt they'll be pumping more loans in.

It's a very good point @dee and not just the wages, they'll need to pay the construction costs for Bramley-Moore too. It was reported at the end of April that they were reliant on funding from 777 to pay "operational costs" so cash-flow will be tight.
However, I'd guess that wages would be due by, at the latest, today, and I'm pretty sure we'd hear if staff hadn't been paid.
I expect they'll be paying in advance on Bramley-Moore so probably a bit of wiggle room there.
But if 777 aren't able to complete the takeover, then I doubt they'll be pumping more loans in.

Aren’t they expecting Premuer league end of season money to help with cashflow?

Plus they can flog Braithwaite in 2 weeks time.

Maybe we should offer to help save their future (in a lower division) by making a low-ball cash upfront offer for Braithwaite - although I suspect they’d rather go under than sell to us.

Aren’t they expecting Premuer league end of season money to help with cashflow?

Plus they can flog Braithwaite in 2 weeks time.
Yes, but it probably won't be that much as it's mostly merit income and, newsflash, they were shit this season. Not entirely sure how quickly it will be paid either. Most of the PL income is paid through the year.
They will, however, be sitting on cash from season ticket renewals.
They should also have instalments on player sales to come in (e.g. final one on Richarlison), but that won't be until 1 July in all likelihood and they'll have instalments to pay then too. I'd expect the money from Gordon will be tagged to January.

Yes, but it probably won't be that much as it's mostly merit income and, newsflash, they were shit this season. Not entirely sure how quickly it will be paid either. Most of the PL income is paid through the year.
They will, however, be sitting on cash from season ticket renewals.
They should also have instalments on player sales to come in (e.g. final one on Richarlison), but that won't be until 1 July in all likelihood and they'll have instalments to pay then too. I'd expect the money from Gordon will be tagged to January.

I think the Guardian article was suggesting that, plus season ticket renewals would be enough to keep cash flowing readily enough to keep everyone paid.

I’m not the expert though, you are, so I’ll defer to you.

Estimated prize money for this season

st Manchester City £176.2m
2nd Arsenal £172.2m
3rd Liverpool £168.3m
4th Aston Villa £164.3m
5th Tottenham £162.9m
6th Chelsea £149.7m
7th Newcastle £148.3m
8th Manchester United £151.9m
9th West Ham £138.7m
10th Crystal Palace 138.1m
11th Brighton £133.3m
12th Bournemouth £137.7m
13th Fulham £124.6m
14th Wolves £129m
15th Everton £117.5m
16th Brentford £118.6m
17th Nottingham Forest £120.5m
18th Luton Town £114m
19th Burnley £111.7m
20th Sheffield United £103.6m

This suggests Everton made the least amount of the non-relegated clubs

Estimated prize money for this season

st Manchester City £176.2m
2nd Arsenal £172.2m
3rd Liverpool £168.3m
4th Aston Villa £164.3m
5th Tottenham £162.9m
6th Chelsea £149.7m
7th Newcastle £148.3m
8th Manchester United £151.9m
9th West Ham £138.7m
10th Crystal Palace 138.1m
11th Brighton £133.3m
12th Bournemouth £137.7m
13th Fulham £124.6m
14th Wolves £129m
15th Everton £117.5m
16th Brentford £118.6m
17th Nottingham Forest £120.5m
18th Luton Town £114m
19th Burnley £111.7m
20th Sheffield United £103.6m

This suggests Everton made the least amount of the non-relegated clubs
That looks wrong to me re Everton. The PL media revenue includes equal shares and then variables based on league finish and the number of games on telly. Everton (19 games) were on UK telly more than Brentford (14) and Forest (15), and they finished above them both in the league table, so their variable share should be higher than both of those teams.
Only reason I can think of why it wouldn't be is if there is some funny rebate in there for earlier years when Brentford and Forest weren't in the league, but I thought that was all cleared up a couple of seasons ago.
My estimates (assuming total revenue is the same as last year, which is what was assumed above as well):
1st Manchester City £177.3m
2nd Arsenal £177.3m
3rd Liverpool £171.0m
4th Aston Villa £160.5m
5th Tottenham £166.0m
6th Chelsea £158.6m
7th Newcastle £152.3m
8th Manchester United £155.5m
9th West Ham £142.9m
10th Crystal Palace 136.6m
11th Brighton £131.3m
12th Bournemouth £127.2m