• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The Ev - how NOT to run a football club

I’m pretty sure both would like it all to go away, especially when you consider the cease and desist letters. It won’t happen though. In the modern world, it will always be out there and will always be used against them. There’s also a risk it would alienate a lot of fans. Which in turn hurts their pockets.

If anyone is able to soften the potential blow to the league’s pockets, then it’s City.

Wait and see - record breaking fine for non-compliance with no admission of guilt for wrongdoing as it will be “unprovable”, allowing City to claim they’re exonerated, but also allowing the Premier Keague to claim them but City with record-breaking sanctions.

I’d imagine the reason it’s taking so long is they just haven’t landed on the final number.

There’s no way they’re going to relegate City or strip them of titles.

If they’re really going for it, they might ban them from Europe for a season, or dock them enough points for one season that means they’ll finish outside the top 6 for once.

If anyone is able to soften the potential blow to the league’s pockets, then it’s City.

Wait and see - record breaking fine for non-compliance with no admission of guilt for wrongdoing as it will be “unprovable”, allowing City to claim they’re exonerated, but also allowing the Premier Keague to claim them but City with record-breaking sanctions.

I’d imagine the reason it’s taking so long is they just haven’t landed on the final number.

If they’re really going for it, they might ban them from Europe for a season, or dock them enough points for one season that means they’ll finish outside the top 6 for once.
Even that won’t make the voices go away. It will always be there.

Even that won’t make the voices go away. It will always be there.

Honestly…. They won’t care, if anything it just drives them on to want to dominate even more.

They won’t stop ever - even after they’ve won more trophies than any other English team or more Champions Leagues than Real Madrid.

I’m pretty sure both would like it all to go away, especially when you consider the cease and desist letters. It won’t happen though. In the modern world, it will always be out there and will always be used against them. There’s also a risk it would alienate a lot of fans. Which in turn hurts their pockets.

honestly i think relatively little comes of it then in 10-15 years we’re all just old loons that rant about how football is ruined because city spent too much money, with most of the detail forgotten.

by that time city will be a ‘legit’ big club with a decent fan base because of the success and it’s done, they’re established at the top with a network of clubs all over the world and nothing can be done to knock it. baldy will leave it some stage and they might not be as dominant but still at the top table.

It'll be quite easy to tell if City are going to be relegated. As the season drags on, if the Blue Shite, beset by financial and on-field problems, points deductions etc are firmly in 18th place, then City will be relegated. Because PL rules provide in that situation that the club in 18th stays up.
Everton are the original unflushable turd. They will determine if City go down or not.

"What's good for Goose is good for the Gander", isn't how life works. The Havs have always been treated differently. City can afford to drag this out if came to something they really object to.
I think it will be a high 8 figure fine, docking of points and a transfer ban. I don't think they'll ban them from European comps, TV companies will say no to that.

Or is it more damaging to be known that financial doping is acceptable and they do only pick on the small clubs?

honestly i think relatively little comes of it then in 10-15 years we’re all just old loons that rant about how football is ruined because city spent too much money, with most of the detail forgotten.

by that time city will be a ‘legit’ big club with a decent fan base because of the success and it’s done, they’re established at the top with a network of clubs all over the world and nothing can be done to knock it. baldy will leave it some stage and they might not be as dominant but still at the top table.
As far as I can tell, City haven't been charged with any irregularities since 2017/18 and so they ARE already into the 'legit' & established period.

What ever decisions the EPL come to in 2025 (I assume nothing will be decided this year) it will be all about the irregularities pre 2018.

I know what everyone is saying but I cannot see any challenge being made to the legitimacy of anything post 2018

by that time city will be a ‘legit’ big club with a decent fan base

You vastly underestimate the weight of history. City will never have a support that rivals actual clubs. Perhaps they'll attract a more significant worldwide following, but so what? They make more money that way? Money coming in never limited them, they don't even require it. They attract filthy fucking casuals, and that's all they'll ever attract.

As far as I can tell, City haven't been charged with any irregularities since 2017/18 and so they ARE already into the 'legit' & established period.

What ever decisions the EPL come to in 2025 (I assume nothing will be decided this year) it will be all about the irregularities pre 2018.

I know what everyone is saying but I cannot see any challenge being made to the legitimacy of anything post 2018
The charges from 2018 onwards are for failure to co-operate - i.e. the PL suspects there is stuff they should charge them with, but as City haven't provided the requested information the PL cannot determine whether they should be charged, and if so, what those charges should be. THat's all that should be read into the lack of specific charges from post 2018 - the PL suspect, but they don't know. And they don't need to charge them, protectively, with anything and everything they could be guilty of because there is no time-bar on when they have to bring those charges.

My take on this is that if City are found bang to rights on the earlier years, then whether there are any specific charges for 2018 onwards will depend on the severity of the punishment for the earlier years. If the panel relegates them and strips them of titles then there's an argument that there is no need for any further action / punishment (and indeed, how could it get much worse for them anyway?). Think Simpsons "Stop, he's already dead" meme. In truth, the effort to bring those charges versus the additional punishment is probably not worth it. But I would expect them to put City into an enhanced monitoring process for at least 5 PL seasons, kind of a financial equivalent of release under licence - any funny business and you're back behind bars lads.

However, if they are found guilty on some grounds and handed down middling punishments then I think the PL will (be forced to) have another go as the other clubs in the league are unlikely to find the outcome satisfactory, especially if they believe City are continuing to break the rules and / or are benefiting from a legacy of cheating.

If they get off scot-free and / or on technicalities (or it's found that the charges are "not proven") then I think that will be the end to it, bar decades of acrimony from the other clubs. If it's a "technicality" ruling then I wouldn't be surprised to see some form of financial settlement to ward off the risk of other clubs suing, especially those denied titles or European football.

And I do share the view that the PL would probably regard a not-guilty / not-proven verdict as a best possible outcome - they can say they tried and it's not their fault. It would be tempting for them to try, but not to try quite hard enough, to get a judgment against City. The problem they have with trying to stage such an outcome is the precedent of the UEFA hearing - they weighed the evidence and found City guilty. And bear in mind that 5 of the 115 charges are for breaking UEFA's rules - it's arguable that those charges are de facto found against City already since UEFA already ruled against them and only lost the appeal on technicalities that don't apply under the PL's rules - the CAS ruling doesn't hold that City didn't break the rules, just that UEFA left it too late to charge them. If the Premier League fails to get a guilty verdict on those charges then they will look like total chumps given the prior UEFA ruling. And finally, in the recent PSR hearings, they have really gone after the clubs they charged - I think it will be obvious if they don't try hard enough against City.

I personally think they should be made to change their name to "115 FC" or include "115: in their club crest for all eternity and every one who defended them should be made to have "115" tattooed either on their foreheads or somewhere intimate and very painful.

Are their any minutes of EPL meetings that give insight into which clubs are pushing hardest for a result?

I’m amazed no chairmen have gone public on the timelines

Or is it more damaging to be known that financial doping is acceptable and they do only pick on the small clubs?

You’re answering your own question there.

Yes it is more acceptable to pick on small clubs that no-one bar their fans gives a fuck about, than it is to state that your entire league was fucked as a competition for the last decade that you’ve spent telling everyone was the best in the world.

Unless they find them guilty of actual match fixing - they’re not getting stripped of anything or relegated.

Search your feelings…. You know it’s true!!!

The charges from 2018 onwards are for failure to co-operate - i.e. the PL suspects there is stuff they should charge them with, but as City haven't provided the requested information the PL cannot determine whether they should be charged, and if so, what those charges should be. THat's all that should be read into the lack of specific charges from post 2018 - the PL suspect, but they don't know. And they don't need to charge them, protectively, with anything and everything they could be guilty of because there is no time-bar on when they have to bring those charges.

My take on this is that if City are found bang to rights on the earlier years, then whether there are any specific charges for 2018 onwards will depend on the severity of the punishment for the earlier years. If the panel relegates them and strips them of titles then there's an argument that there is no need for any further action / punishment (and indeed, how could it get much worse for them anyway?). Think Simpsons "Stop, he's already dead" meme. In truth, the effort to bring those charges versus the additional punishment is probably not worth it. But I would expect them to put City into an enhanced monitoring process for at least 5 PL seasons, kind of a financial equivalent of release under licence - any funny business and you're back behind bars lads.

However, if they are found guilty on some grounds and handed down middling punishments then I think the PL will (be forced to) have another go as the other clubs in the league are unlikely to find the outcome satisfactory, especially if they believe City are continuing to break the rules and / or are benefiting from a legacy of cheating.

If they get off scot-free and / or on technicalities (or it's found that the charges are "not proven") then I think that will be the end to it, bar decades of acrimony from the other clubs. If it's a "technicality" ruling then I wouldn't be surprised to see some form of financial settlement to ward off the risk of other clubs suing, especially those denied titles or European football.

And I do share the view that the PL would probably regard a not-guilty / not-proven verdict as a best possible outcome - they can say they tried and it's not their fault. It would be tempting for them to try, but not to try quite hard enough, to get a judgment against City. The problem they have with trying to stage such an outcome is the precedent of the UEFA hearing - they weighed the evidence and found City guilty. And bear in mind that 5 of the 115 charges are for breaking UEFA's rules - it's arguable that those charges are de facto found against City already since UEFA already ruled against them and only lost the appeal on technicalities that don't apply under the PL's rules - the CAS ruling doesn't hold that City didn't break the rules, just that UEFA left it too late to charge them. If the Premier League fails to get a guilty verdict on those charges then they will look like total chumps given the prior UEFA ruling. And finally, in the recent PSR hearings, they have really gone after the clubs they charged - I think it will be obvious if they don't try hard enough against City.

I personally think they should be made to change their name to "115 FC" or include "115: in their club crest for all eternity and every one who defended them should be made to have "115" tattooed either on their foreheads or somewhere intimate and very painful.

Isn’t there bits in the CAS ruling that said there was “no evidence” of financial wrong doing as well?

Isn’t there bits in the CAS ruling that said there was “no evidence” of financial wrong doing as well?
No. The summary ruling says that the panel was “not comfortably satisfied that MCFC disguised equity funding” (referring to the alleged payment of the majority of the sponsorship costs by ADUG) - UEFA only went after this bit.

However, the detailed discussions on this aspect frequently refer to “the majority of the panel”, which likely refers to the City appointee and the “independent” appointee. That discussion basically details an alternative hypothesis from City, based on witness statements that were not given to UEFA. The CAS panel say neither hypothesis is proven, but the onus was on UEFA to prove theirs, and they didn’t prove it (but quite how they could have done without free access to all relevant records is not discussed). In essence, the finding was that the Football Leaks emails were genuine, and admissible, that they set out a scheme that broke the rules, but that UEFA hadn’t proved the scheme was actually carried out, nor had City proved that it wasn’t, but that was UEFA’s problem, not City’s, so it’s all good, mostly time-barred anyway, and here’s a €10million fine for the party that went on to declare themselves “exonerated”.

Are their any minutes of EPL meetings that give insight into which clubs are pushing hardest for a result?

I’m amazed no chairmen have gone public on the timelines
No, they don’t publish those minutes. However, the CAS ruling listed 9 clubs who had applied for City not to be allowed to stay their UEFA suspension - Arsenal, Burnley (LOL), Chelsea (LMFAO), Leicester, Liverpool, United, Newcastle, Spurs and Wolves.

Reactions: dee
You’re answering your own question there.

Yes it is more acceptable to pick on small clubs that no-one bar their fans gives a fuck about, than it is to state that your entire league was fucked as a competition for the last decade that you’ve spent telling everyone was the best in the world.

Unless they find them guilty of actual match fixing - they’re not getting stripped of anything or relegated.

Search your feelings…. You know it’s true!!!
Well City are a small club that nobody but their fans give a fuck about.

Should they be guilty and no/little action happen you would be given carte b to all the other clubs to spend what they want, make frivolous claims in their accounts or pay off the books and then not cooperate. The ends would justify the means.

No, they don’t publish those minutes. However, the CAS ruling listed 9 clubs who had applied for City not to be allowed to stay their UEFA suspension - Arsenal, Burnley (LOL), Chelsea (LMFAO), Leicester, Liverpool, United, Newcastle, Spurs and Wolves.
Does Premier League rules state 14 members need to agree on it for something to happen?

Add in Man U, Everton, Forest, Palace, Fulham and Southampton/Leeds plus remove Burnley you have more than 14 that would vote for punishment,

Does Premier League rules state 14 members need to agree on it for something to happen?

Add in Man U, Everton, Forest, Palace, Fulham and Southampton/Leeds plus remove Burnley you have more than 14 that would vote for punishment,
Doesn't quite work like that. but 15 teams could
vote to kick a team out of the League (the 14 team threshold applies to most other stuff, but kicking a team out of the league is a15-team vote).

Doesn't quite work like that. but 15 teams could
vote to kick a team out of the League (the 14 team threshold applies to most other stuff, but kicking a team out of the league is a15-team vote).
The complexity being that how many clubs will shirk it because they might feel it would hamper future transfer dealings with City? Unless it's already looking like a "dead and buried" situation for them, I don't see many clubs opting for the pitch fork route against them. It's tough to call. I don't think they will get half the punishment that people want, the intricacies of the case and the whole issue over withholding/lack of evidence just make me feel like it'll be swept away.

They should bang the cunts to rights first and foremost on failing to cooperate. But that should have happened to Rio when he skipped his drug test and again when he called Cole a "choc-ice" and again when he then went on Twitter and took the piss out the FA for it. If anything, I see this going exactly the same way with the Premier League over City. a small deduction/ban, Fines, more fines, and then City doing an OJ in plain sight, and the insufferable cunts continuing to think they are untouchable while celebrating league after league title in front of 20 inbreds.

Football is cutthroat. If you have a chance of getting rid of a rival for a title or European spot teams would do it. If it also removed a relegation place and a club is one of the favourites to go down they’d also vote to kick them out. It’s all about self-preservation.

Football is cutthroat. If you have a chance of getting rid of a rival for a title or European spot teams would do it. If it also removed a relegation place and a club is one of the favourites to go down they’d also vote to kick them out. It’s all about self-preservation.
Nah, I get that some clubs might feel that way or see it as an opportunity. The other half will be shitting it about precedents being set for their own misdemeanors. I mean, let's be honest, are Chelsea going to vote them out?

Last edited:
Nah, I get that some clubs might feel that way or see it as an opportunity. They other half will be shitting it about precedents being set for their own misdemeanors. I mean, let's be honest, are Chelsea going to vote them out?
Depends. If they receive their charges first and feel like they got away with it.

Nah, I get that some clubs might feel that way or see it as an opportunity. They other half will be shitting it about precedents being set for their own misdemeanors. I mean, let's be honest, are Chelsea going to vote them out?
I think this is right, and I also think the transfer dealing point is relevant, particularly on loans.
The clubs who wrote to CAS are significant. Other than Burnley, they had something at stake at the time (i.e. potential European qualification). You could add Villa and West Ham to that list now, but getting to 15? Tricky, as you say. And even then, I think they'd be wary of kicking City out without good cause. But it's their right, and it's a useful threat - co-operate or we vote you out - but it risks being a hollow threat unless City know there are 15 who will vote for it. They only need to keep 5 clubs sweet to block it.

A guilty verdict opens the way for other teams to sue City, if they think their finances were negatively affected by City's cheating. I mean it wouldn't be hard to prove that every team lost many millions in revenue - because they all finished below City during that time. That's the shitshow I'm looking forward to.

I think this is right, and I also think the transfer dealing point is relevant, particularly on loans.
The clubs who wrote to CAS are significant. Other than Burnley, they had something at stake at the time (i.e. potential European qualification). You could add Villa and West Ham to that list now, but getting to 15? Tricky, as you say. And even then, I think they'd be wary of kicking City out without good cause. But it's their right, and it's a useful threat - co-operate or we vote you out - but it risks being a hollow threat unless City know there are 15 who will vote for it. They only need to keep 5 clubs sweet to block it.
Four 😁

Back
Top Bottom