• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The preseason thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
By all means sing his praises, but don't forget it's one game, a friendly at that. He is still 17, shows great promise but he isn't quite ready to be in the 1st team.
We still need a MF with a few years 1st team experience like Nunes

18 in a month or two. Does that make a difference?
A little I guess, but it's mainly about time on the pitch too.
Playing in midfield at such a young age is tough. Dunno if he'd cope with the physicality of the prem just yet.

He really does look very promising indeed. Probably needs another year before being a realistic option but yeah, looks good enough that I'd hold off buying other players for now.

Every other pre season there is a youngster who people rave about and say he is a star in the making.. there was that striker under Rogers when he did the documentary, there was Billy Koumetio a couple of years ago, this year its Bajcetic's turn. You'll have all forgotten his name by November

What happened to Dele Alli? Once worth £150m, and us LFC fans kicking ourselves at missing out on him and now he can't even put the ball into an empty net from 3 yards

What happened to Dele Alli? Once worth £150m, and us LFC fans kicking ourselves at missing out on him and now he can't even put the ball into an empty net from 3 yards
Thank fuck Gerrard was having a kip when Dele came up to Anfield eh

I've seen this kid play for the reserves/youths and the reason why I'm excited about him is because he stands out, just like Sterling, Suso, Trent etc did.

Stands out how you might ask?
The way I judge young players is not solely by stats. Cause, we've all heard or seen young players score for fun for the reserves even win the FA youth cup and not make it in top tier football.
To me it's about how they play in their position. Bajetic plays as a CB or DM but he looks like an attacking midfielder playing in those positions. He does it with such ease. There's a calmness to his game that just says that he's above the level he's currently at. When a player plays in a different "pace" than the game he's currently playing in, it tells me that he's got something.
Also doesn't hurt that he's got the size and the stock( his father was a professional footballer).
Obviously, there's no guarantees. I for instance thought that McLaughlin kid was gonna make it.

How good is he?

When I first saw the highlights for Darwin's third goal my first thought was "That's very good football by either Diaz or Carvalho". It did not occur to me that it was a 17 year old stealing the ball and laying off that pass!!

Footballers without brains usually end up at Talksport I think?

Ha - yes, some of them certainly. They're not all stupid, but Gaby Agbonlahor on his own makes up for those who aren't. He gets the p!$$ ripped out of him for it even by his colleagues on that station.

We are not even close to where we want to be physically. We have to get there.
“The weather and everything is difficult, it will be difficult in Austria as well. It’s good. We have to get through this, we have to work extremely hard and then we will be fine.
“I’m not sure if we will be fine against Salzburg because now we really go for it, but we will give it a try. The most important part of pre-season starts now.”
And while the training camp might be important, it is not quite something the players themselves look forward to such is the gruelling demands they will face.
“I don’t think any of us look forward to Austria,” Robertson admitted. “It’s always where it gets ramped up a little bit, it’s always that wee bit harder, but so important.
“Tough sessions, trying to get us closer to where we need to be for the first game of the season.
“All I’m thinking of is by the end of the week we’ll be in a much better position, that’s the only way you get through it.”

I have concerns about Diaz.
I think he's brilliant and a world class talent, but I worry about his final product (in terms of goals).
If that can improve, he's going to be one of the best players in the world much like Mane.
Agree with this. Reminder that Suarez only got 15 league goals in his first season and a half, although obviously he was in a much weaker team. If Diaz can emulate him (but without the biting and generally being an arse) then that would be awesome. The lad's clearly a top player and seems to have a great attitude and determination so I'm really hopeful.

Our system seems to maximise output from whoever is in the front 3. Diaz might waste 5 chances before scoring, but he'll fashion 10 chances a game easily

As long as he is involved in the build up play that creates goal threats and we win, I doubt I'll care.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom