• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Is Elliott the secret weapon about to explode ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Red rose

Well-Known
https://www.thisisanfield.com/2022/...-play-a-key-role-in-next-liverpool-evolution/

Harvey Elliott‘s ankle dislocation curtailed what had been a promising rise at Liverpool – now fully fit, he could star for the Reds this coming season.

Last summer, there was some anticipation surrounding the ever-growing reputation of Elliott, returning from an impressive loan spell at Blackburn.
Still, not many predicted him to not only start three of the opening four Premier League games, including against Chelsea, but start them in central midfield.

Sadly, Elliott’s progress was cut short by a horror left ankle fracture-dislocation at Leeds and it was almost five months before he returned, scoring his first-ever Reds goal with a swivelling half-volley against Cardiff.
From that game onwards, though, he started just three times – only once in the league – and he was ineffective when thrown into the lineup away to Inter Milan.
The magnitude of the games post-Christmas required experienced heads, so it was invariably any three from Fabinho, Thiago, Jordan Henderson and Naby Keita used by Klopp.
Elliott himself accepted that his lack of intensity in training played a part in amassing just 336 minutes on the pitch following his injury return.
“It’s been tough, there have been a few downfalls and I don’t think I’ve played as much as wanted to since I’ve been back, but hopefully there are many years to come of me playing football,” Elliott admitted to This Is Anfield in May.

There were a couple of weeks where I wasn’t training at my best, I wasn’t performing to the best of my ability and I knew that in myself.”
Because of that, the short attention span of modern football means Elliott’s stock has fallen and he isn’t considered a regular starter next season by some.
Those early-season appearances are proof that he can be, though.

There are clear similarities between Elliott and Phil Foden, in terms of their playing style and pedigree.
Both short in stature but supreme in natural ability, they possess stereotypically wand-like left feet, thriving with a low centre of gravity.
They play for their respective boyhood teams and have both been earmarked as future superstars since secondary school age, so the comparisons are understandable.
In fact, Elliott should be looking at Foden as the perfect role model – someone who is three years his senior and who similarly had to bide his time before becoming a fixture in City’s team.

When Foden was 19, he was about to embark on a season that still only rendered nine league starts, but also 38 appearances in all competitions.
He wasn’t the main man under Pep Guardiola, but in the two seasons since, he has won back-to-back PFA Young Player of the Year awards and become a leading player for club and country.
Elliott’s career may not mirror Foden’s by 22, but it is easy to envisage his 2022/23 campaign being similar to the latter’s 2019/20, in terms of impact and playing time.
Somewhere close to 40 appearances in all competitions would be considered a success, as long as his creative numbers are healthy.

Elliott has the ability to open up defences and add a new dimension to the midfield, while his pass completion rate in the league last season (84.3%) was superior to Jordan Henderson (83.8%), James Milner (83.2%) and Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain (78.9%).
Consistency will come with time, but Klopp has called him a “fearless boy” and will know he has a jewel up his sleeve – someone with that healthy dose of arrogance that is required in elite footballers.
One year older and even more comfortable in his surroundings, this could be Elliott’s moment to go up a gear.

Liverpool fans love a transfer soap opera and the current talking point is the Reds not signing another midfielder this summer.
While that is causing plenty of ire, especially with Milner, Thiago and Henderson now in their 30s – Fabinho and Oxlade-Chamberlain turn 29 this year, too – Elliott could feel like a new signing.
He will be well-rested after enjoying a summer holiday, while a full pre-season can only bode well.
Now expected to take the No. 19 shirt, this suggests that Elliott’s squad status is naturally enhanced and that he is considered a regular part of Klopp’s plans.
Away from his No. 8 role in a 4-3-3 system, there is also the potential for him to be used in a 4-2-3-1, should Klopp opt to switch his formation.

Elliott has the guile to thrive as a No. 10 in front of a double pivot, allowing him more freedom, providing chances for the front three.
His fruitful spell at Blackburn saw him score seven goals and register 11 assists in the Championship – a superb effort in a tough league, especially as a teenager.
Elliott’s versatility means he is also capable of doing a job in a right-sided attacking berth, as was predominantly the case at Ewood Park.
He lacks Salah’s electric pace and dynamism, which is a drawback, but that natural ability to drift inside and create space for Alexander-Arnold can make him a good option there.

The signing of Fabio Carvalho will immediately make midfield competition greater, with the 19-year-old starting 32 of his 33 appearances in the No. 10 position last season.
But their shared experience coming through the youth ranks at Fulham could see an exciting tandem form at Liverpool.
Greg Cruttwell, the founder of Carvalho’s youth club Balham FC, believes that he suits Klopp “down to the bone,” and Elliott himself told This Is Anfield that he is a “great kid as well as a great player.”
It is easy to forget about Curtis Jones, too, and he is another who should be expected to take another positive leap in the right direction.
Elliott is a raw player who is still learning, and while moments of magic are to be expected, so are learning curves along the way.

Frustrating displays are to be expected, as was the case with a teenage Steven Gerrard, but Liverpool have a special young player who would already be a more cemented figure had injury not occurred.
Expectations and excitement surrounding him should be great, given his talent.
And while a new midfielder still wouldn’t go amiss, the Reds may already have a secret weapon ready to explode.

Some on here have seemed unconvinced by Elliott, but I was majorly impressed when he first came on the scene (with the exception of that ridiculous hairstyle which fortunately he's binned off) and the way he came back after such a bad injury showed a top class attitude. His progress has stalled since then, but that interview suggests to me that he knows what he has to do and will set about it in the right way. It remains to be seen what Elliott's best position will be, because he doesn't look to have a lot of pace so playing him wide may be questionable, but I'm optimistic about him and it seems Kloppo is as well.

Some on here have seemed unconvinced by Elliott, but I was majorly impressed when he first came on the scene (with the exception of that ridiculous hairstyle which fortunately he's binned off) and the way he came back after such a bad injury showed a top class attitude. His progress has stalled since then, but that interview suggests to me that he knows what he has to do and will set about it in the right way. It remains to be seen what Elliott's best position will be, because he doesn't look to have a lot of pace so playing him wide may be questionable, but I'm optimistic about him and it seems Kloppo is as well.

I agree with you :) even about the hair :D

I’m just concerned that the way he returned from his loan - sharp, confident and generally on a high won’t be the case this year.

A few posters including myself thought that Elliot was taking up a lot of the spaces that Mo and even Trent usually inhabit at the start of last season, it looked to be stifling some of Mo’s directness. After experiencing the second half of Mo’s season it’s something I’m actually looking forward to seeing again because Mo was too direct and too repetitive and that’s something Elliott can break up.

Last edited:
He was spectacular first half of the season and the injury came at the worst time. Few shoddy performances post injury, but he never really had the chance to get of run of games to play his way back in. That's the challenge of breaking through at a huge club.

He was spectacular first half of the season and the injury came at the worst time. Few shoddy performances post injury, but he never really had the chance to get of run of games to play his way back in. That's the challenge of breaking through at a huge club.

He was also acting like a twat...

I think "spectacular" is a bit much. I think he looks talented obviously, but I just worry he'll suffer from not really having a defined position with us that suits him. He's not quick enough for that inside right Salah role, and I'm not sure he's dynamic/physical enough for a Klopp midfield. I'm not as convinced he'll be a big star for us.

Nah, I don't know about Elliott. He's talented but I mean look at Trent. Elliott isnt close

He's quality. If he keeps developing, and doesn't suffer from too many more injuries, he'll be an outstanding member of the first team.

Nah, I don't know about Elliott. He's talented but I mean look at Trent. Elliott isnt close

Yeah he is.

At 16 when he arrived he was easily as impressive as Trent at the same age.

Did well on loan at 17, in the championship. Came in to our first team at 18, again did well.

Then he got injured.

He's around that sort of level of ability, for me.

I think "spectacular" is a bit much. I think he looks talented obviously, but I just worry he'll suffer from not really having a defined position with us that suits him. He's not quick enough for that inside right Salah role, and I'm not sure he's dynamic/physical enough for a Klopp midfield. I'm not as convinced he'll be a big star for us.

He's filling out nicely. He's nice and stocky now, or is obviously going to be. That's a good shape for an attacking footballer. Plus he looks dynamic to me, he doesn't have much acceleration, but that's a different quality.

Yeah he is.

At 16 when he arrived he was easily as impressive as Trent at the same age.

Did well on loan at 17, in the championship. Came in to our first team at 18, again did well.

Then he got injured.

He's around that sort of level of ability, for me.
Hey I hope he becomes the next Pablo Aimar, I just don't see it yet. He still has time though.

He's filling out nicely. He's nice and stocky now, or is obviously going to be. That's a good shape for an attacking footballer. Plus he looks dynamic to me, he doesn't have much acceleration, but that's a different quality.

Yeah he's strong and robust and stocky looking, but as you said, I don't think the acceleration is there. Nor do I think he can cover the ground like Hendo for example. I just don't know where I see him making his name with us

Yeah he's strong and robust and stocky looking, but as you said, I don't think the acceleration is there. Nor do I think he can cover the ground like Hendo for example. I just don't know where I see him making his name with us

He's got way more technical ability than Henderson though. He's a much more creative passer, and has a good shot from distance. Not all midfielders have to have the same qualities.

IMO he'll be fine playing where he came in to the team last season. I just wouldn't try to make a wide forward out of him.

He's got way more technical ability than Henderson though. He's a much more creative passer, and has a good shot from distance. Not all midfielders have to have the same qualities.

IMO he'll be fine playing where he came in to the team last season. I just wouldn't try to make a wide forward out of him.

If his shooting ability and decision-making keeps improving, I could see him developing into a Nedved type - high-energy, creative, goal-scoring wide midfielder.

If his shooting ability and decision-making keeps improving, I could see him developing into a Nedved type - high-energy, creative, goal-scoring wide midfielder.

Does he have necessary speed to play out wide? He's not 'slow' but he seems closer to Bobby than Salah speed wise.

Oh yeah he's great technically, and looks to have good mentality. I just worry for him in a Klopp midfield. Unless of course Klopp looks to rejig the system.

The longer this summer goes on, the more i think we're changing our formation this coming season. We're set up perfectly squad wise for 4231

Come on man. Don’t you need a rest or something ?

Pre-season hasn’t even started yet !

What was Elliott doing to act like a twat? Missed that.

Think he's got a bit of the Gazza about him. Good vision, lovely balance. He has a natural football brain, did great doibg the basics of pass and move, instead of taking too many touches to try and look good, like Curtis often does.

What was Elliott doing to act like a twat? Missed that.

Think he's got a bit of the Gazza about him. Good vision, lovely balance. He has a natural football brain, did great doibg the basics of pass and move, instead of taking too many touches to try and look good, like Curtis often does.
He got bad press when he picked up that flare and threw it ..then there was something else about him in the press too.. think Klopp wanted to put a stop to it, so left him out …

Edit ;
Liverpool winger Harvey Elliott has been banned for 14 days by the Football Association for an offensive video in which he mocked Tottenham player Harry Kane.
Earlier this season a video surfaced in which Elliott, 16, mocked Kane by impersonating the England captain and using derogatory language’

he Will of learnt valuable lessons from the above and I reckon he will be great !

Last edited:
He got bad press when he picked up that flare and threw it ..then there was something else about him in the press too.. think Klopp wanted to put a stop to it, so left him out …

Edit ;
Liverpool winger Harvey Elliott has been banned for 14 days by the Football Association for an offensive video in which he mocked Tottenham player Harry Kane.
Earlier this season a video surfaced in which Elliott, 16, mocked Kane by impersonating the England captain and using derogatory language’

he Will of learnt valuable lessons from the above and I reckon he will be great !
He deserved a knighthood for calling Kane a mong because he is a mong

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom