• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • Repeating an offer I made a while ago. If anyone wants me to change their username then just DM me (@Dee)

Transfer rumours

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Gomez is better on almost every course.
Matip is more intelligent, better in air and a better tackler. I think that's why Matip was first choice at the start of the season.
Gomez is close to Matip in a lot of things but only really excels in the pace and agility category.

Matip is more intelligent, better in air and a better tackler. I think that's why Matip was first choice at the start of the season.
Gomez is close to Matip in a lot of things but only really excels in the pace and agility category.
And bringing the ball out of defence, and passing, and I would dispute tackling too (and how on earth do you come to the conclusion Matip is more intelligent, experienced yes but intelligent, I don't see that at all) ... so yeah Gomez is clearly the better CB. His one clear weakness is heading IMO.

And bringing the ball out of defence, and passing, and I would dispute tackling too (and how on earth do you come to the conclusion Matip is more intelligent, experienced yes but intelligent, I don't see that at all) ... so yeah Gomez is clearly the better CB. His one clear weakness is heading IMO.
Guess you missed the start of the season when Matip was considered the 2nd best CB in the prem by some.
Anyway the reason, I think Matip is more intelligent is partly due to experience. With experience comes intelligence, right?
Gomez has pace in abundance and just like him and the likes of young Kolo Toure his pace has saved him on many occasions.
Matip has to be smarter because he isn't as quick. So his positioning is better as well.

Guess you missed the start of the season when Matip was considered the 2nd best CB in the prem by some.
Anyway the reason, I think Matip is more intelligent is partly due to experience. With experience comes intelligence, right?
Gomez has pace in abundance and just like him and the likes of young Kolo Toure his pace has saved him on many occasions.
Matip has to be smarter because he isn't as quick. So his positioning is better as well.
Yeah not at all sure about positioning either. Gomez occasionally has a weakness in the box where Matip may be better but when holding a high line Gomez is damn good ... and as stated has the pace to foil most attacks regardless of where they emanate.

At the beginning of the season Matip was (and still is in my book) highly rated simply because Gomez had been out for so long and Matip had played so well in his absence. That's not a shock then. That doesn't make him a better player when both are at their best - where for me at least Gomez is the better CB, at least for our style of play.

Yeah not at all sure about positioning either. Gomez occasionally has a weakness in the box where Matip may be better but when holding a high line Gomez is damn good ... and as stated has the pace to foil most attacks regardless of where they emanate.

At the beginning of the season Matip was (and still is in my book) highly rated simply because Gomez had been out for so long and Matip had played so well in his absence. That's not a shock then. That doesn't make him a better player when both are at their best - where for me at least Gomez is the better CB, at least for our style of play.
Now that you mention it, I think our style of play has changed since Gomez replaced Matip. If I remember it correctly we played a little deeper because we lacked Gomez pace.

They're both great and between them sort our LCB position. I'd like Hoever to work his way up to being Virgil's understudy and occasional, heaven forbid, stand-in.
Fabinho and Phillips as an emergency backup.

Sell Lovren to Madrid for 50m and tell them he's their best chance of enticing Salah the following summer.

Yeah, but Liverpool might not be an easy sell for a CB, because he'd be replacing fourth-choice Lovren, and have VVD and Gomez and arguably Matip ahead of him too.

It's not like Utd signing Maguire, who knew he'd be first-choice because of the shambles he walked into.

This is a good point, although I actually wondered how all 4 defenders were going to get decent game time this season but it seems like they have all had a decent amount of games considering... I think Van de Berg will take Lovrens spot, I don't see us being able to buy a decent CB who is going to be happy with 3rd or 4th choice.

Going by what I've seen of him so far, I don't reckon van den Berg is ready yet. Hoever might be at a pinch, but his only senior appearances so far have been at RB. It would be nice to fetch a better option than Lovren in as a stand-in, but I share your doubts about how likely we are to be able to find one.

Going by what I've seen of him so far, I don't reckon van den Berg is ready yet. Hoever might be at a pinch, but his only senior appearances so far have been at RB. It would be nice to fetch a better option than Lovren in as a stand-in, but I share your doubts about how likely we are to be able to find one.

100% agree, Van Den Berg looks like a headless chicken at times when he has played.

He's actually the one player who could probably benefit by going on loan to Blackpool for at least the first half of next season.

Did we give him away for free? If not the figures are wrong. The sell on is only active on the profit the club make.

Did we give him away for free? If not the figures are wrong. The sell on is only active on the profit the club make.
According to wiki we sold him for 4 mill so subtract that from the proposed fee and it's just about right.

Edwards is yet another object lesson in not rushing to judgment about someone too soon. Questions were asked about him and his Superstatto approach in the early days, but look how things have turned out.

And props to FSG. What a backroom team they've put together.

Thats not the point though, in all this. Its that we'll bank 30% from any fee they'll get. And with how he has been playing and that he has two years left on his deal, could see us getting quite a few million from this.

The funny thing is that Ancelotti is interested.

Reactions: dee
Liverpool are considering an approach for Carlos Vinicius, having sent scouts to watch the attacker score twice for Benfica in their 3-2 defeat to Porto on Saturday (O Jogo)

[article]Benfica forward Carlos Vinicius admits he welcomes being linked with Liverpool.

The 24-year-old has 20 goals and 12 assists in 35 games in all competitions this season and has been touted with a potential switch to Anfield.

When asked about the possibility of signing for the Reds, Vinicius told Record: “Liverpool? I'm happy, but I focus on the present.

“I'm happy, because I know that's a result of the daily sweat. But the focus is on the present. I'm leaving tomorrow to the right moment.

“[I am] very happy at Benfica, which is a great club, with 100% focus.

“Although it's the best moment of my career, I know that if I stay focused, I'll achieve even more. That's what motivates me."[/article]

Lazio have done incredibly well with Alberto.

He's 1 of the main reasons they're competing with Juve right now....he could defo go for big dosh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom