• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Van Gaal < Moyes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
They had 1 (ONE) shot at goal Mark. At home against Saints - O N E!

I think Van Gaal is a boring cunt - watching Holland after they progressed was the most boring part of the World Cup. The moment he couldn't hit them on the break all fun was over.

Yeah, but I don't think that particularly told the full story, in the second half they were a whisker away from scoring with a few of the chances. In the first half they were piss poor though. Mata should have buried a couple.

Yeah, but I don't think that particularly told the full story, in the second half they were a whisker away from scoring with a few of the chances. In the first half they were piss poor though. Mata should have buried a couple.

NO - they sucked!

You are right of course. But 1 shot... Kinda funny.

I do love that Ross is using a Man United thread to remind us of his 'managers are meaningless/tactics are like counting cards' schtick.

Manchester United, who went from winning the league to finishing 7th in successive seasons, spending 60M in the process.

With the only variables being the manager and the tactics.

Look at the age of the squad that won the league

Wenger is the only other manager with statistical evidence that he made a difference

There are three main reasons Van Gaal is getting an easier ride.

The first is the most obvious - he's following the worst season anyone associated with the club has experienced for a long time and expectations are pretty low / reasonable.

The second is, as mentioned, the league is really open with the usual suspects of the chasing pack all in horribly inconsistent form. Nobody is going to be asking any serious questions when you're sat in 3rd / 4th place after a season like last one.

Lastly, I'd agree with the point about personality. Van Gaal seems to command respect and looks like he belongs whereas nobody really believed in Moyes, not even Moyes himself. If someone looks like he knows what he's doing and there is some evidence to back it up... well, it doesn't require that awkward leap of faith.

He doesn't have a big jinxy banner attracting attention to how he isn't matching the expectation.

Strange that no one has picked up on this managers mean nothing. Wouldnt need to spend any money on hiring them in the future then eh...

One of the best examples against Ross "theory" is Pulis finishing 11th with Crystal Palace after taking over when they were in the bottom three, and one of the favourites for relegation.

The fans can also find solace in the fact they have a had a million injuries.

There are three main reasons Van Gaal is getting an easier ride.

The first is the most obvious - he's following the worst season anyone associated with the club has experienced for a long time and expectations are pretty low / reasonable.

The second is, as mentioned, the league is really open with the usual suspects of the chasing pack all in horribly inconsistent form. Nobody is going to be asking any serious questions when you're sat in 3rd / 4th place after a season like last one.

Lastly, I'd agree with the point about personality. Van Gaal seems to command respect and looks like he belongs whereas nobody really believed in Moyes, not even Moyes himself. If someone looks like he knows what he's doing and there is some evidence to back it up... well, it doesn't require that awkward leap of faith.

4 - He's actually won stuff in his life. Moyes on the other hand...

Our last 3 results have definitely opened up the top 4 race. Whichever team can string 5/6 wins together in the next few games will probably finish top 4.

Despite LVG being on the same points as moyes, there are many reasons there is limited discontent at the moment.

Firstly, most United fans were realistic about this season. A top 4 finish was the priority for almost everyone.
We are still roughly on track for that goal despite the recent results and poor performances prior to that.

We have had the most freakish run of injuries to key players that is only getting back to normal now. Despite spending £150m we are only now getting to the point where everyone is fit and available.

150107.jpg

I have absolutely no idea how the season is going to pan out. Top 4 is completely wide up and any team that clicks for just 5/6 games will probably take it.

Strange that no one has picked up on this managers mean nothing. Wouldnt need to spend any money on hiring them in the future then eh...

One of the best examples against Ross "theory" is Pulis finishing 11th with Crystal Palace after taking over when they were in the bottom three, and one of the favourites for relegation.

I need to.stress it's not my theory, and no that isn't a good example. And you should know well by now.

How do you know they wouldnt have been better regardless of the manager change? How do you know its nor simply regression to the mean?

Just like we're having regression to the mean without a managerial change.

And if Pulis did such a good job, why is he not still there?

And I see you never ever answer when I list off all the managerial changes from bad to good rated managers (at least good or bad by your simple logic)

I really cannot stress just how clueless you are if you believe managers control results.

Maybe instead of it being an evidence based theory, just pretend some part time mobile phone designer on twitter tweeted it. Would that be easier for you?

I need to.stress it's not my theory, and no that isn't a good example. And you should know well by now.

How do you know they wouldnt have been better regardless of the manager change? How do you know its nor simply regression to the mean?

And I see you never ever answer when I list off all the managerial changes from bad to good rated managers (at least good or bad by your simple logic)

I really cannot stress just how clueless you are if you believe managers control results.

Maybe instead of it being an evidence based theory, just pretend some part time mobile phone designer on twitter tweeted it. Would that be easier for you?

Didn't he walk due to lack of funding in the transfer market?

Rosco's theory about managers not making a difference comes from Soccernomics by Simon Kuper. It is also very big on wages being the defining factor.

And he wondered why I asked him last week if he actually ever reads back over his posts before clicking the "post reply" button.

Shame Pulis left because of lack of funding by Parish.
Watch WBA improve their league position now that he has taken over.

Twitter again eh? Oh dear.

Rosco's theory about managers not making a difference comes from Soccernomics by Simon Kuper. It is also very big on wages being the defining factor.

Wages being important is like stating the bleeding obvious though.

So if Pulis hadn't have joined Palace, they'd have finished 11th anyway?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom