• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Welcome, Mo Salah!

Status
Not open for further replies.

rurikbird

Part of the Furniture
Honorary Member
699929662.jpg

I'm excited by this signing. If people want to judge a player by extraneous things like "he rejected us" or "he didn't make it at Chelsea" or "when did something good come out of Italy (or Egypt)" go right ahead – but that has nothing to do with the quality of the player, which is the primary thing that will determine his success.

My expectations are not sky-high – I don't place Salah in the same category as, I don't know, Luis Figo or Ribery or someone like that who can be called one of the leading AMs of his era. Much like Mane, Salah is a perfect tool for a specific job – put him in the right environment and he will thrive, but he will not carry a team on his own. My optimism about this signing is based on my belief that we do have the right environment for a player like him – and that his positive experiences in Italy and Switzerland (and a negative one at Chelsea) have fully prepared him to make us stronger here and now. I'm excited about the possibility of Coutinho and Lallana and/or Firmino operating behind not one, but two ridiculously fast forwards/wingers who are also good instinctive finishers. I still think our attack could use one more top-level signing, someone like Mbappe or Aubumeyang, to really reach another level – but I have no doubt that we are already stronger with Salah.

Here's a good article by Jonathan Wilson:
All across Europe are scattered forwards who did not quite make it at Chelsea, some more bafflingly than others. There is Marko Marin, signed by Olympiakos last season after four years on Chelsea’s books with only two league starts. There is Patrick Bamford, signed by Middlesbrough in January after five years at Chelsea in which he did not start a single league game. There is Juan Cuadrado, freshly signed by Juventus after three years at Chelsea where he started just three games. It would not be a complete surprise if Chelsea turned out a box room at Stamford Bridge and turned up a Florent Malouda or a John Spencer, players they had bought a while ago and forgotten about.
And now, at Liverpool, there is Mohammed Salah, signed from Roma who bought him last summer after two and a half years at Chelsea in which he started six games. Salah’s time in flux, on loan at Fiorentina and then Roma, seems not to have harmed the winger.
On the contrary, the 25-year-old has thrived, scoring at roughly a goal every other game in Serie A over three seasons. Goals may be flowing more rapidly in Italian football than they used to be, but that is still a remarkable record for a player who tends to operate from the flank.
So what went wrong at Chelsea? Salah was signed from Basel in January 2014 for £16m. He had impressed for the Swiss club against Chelsea, scoring against them home and away in the Champions League, having played well against both Chelsea and Tottenham in the previous season’s Europa League.
Quick, direct, skilful – and yet he could barely get a game. In part, that was because of the presence of Willian and Eden Hazard and in part due to Mourinho’s occasional preference for a more defensive figure on the right to balance out Hazard on the left, which led him to pick Ramires. In that context, the question then becomes less what went wrong for Salah than why he was signed at all when Chelsea already had such established options in that area.
The arrival of Cesc Fàbregas the following summer, adding another midfield creator and freeing up Oscar to move to the right, further limited Salah’s options. It was not that he failed in the Premier League, it was that he never really got an opportunity. Once he was back playing regularly, in Italy, he became again the player he had been at Basel. It is not just the 35 goals he scored in 71 league starts for Fiorentina and Roma, it is the 20 assists and the pace and energy he brings.
In a Jürgen Klopp side, as Daniel Sturridge, another piece of Chelsea flotsam, would attest, attacking prowess is not enough. Salah has consistently averaged around one successful tackle and between 0.5 and one interceptions per game. That might not sound a huge amount but even winning the ball back one and a half times a game high up the pitch can be hugely threatening. The issue anyway is more one of intent: Salah is prepared to lead the press, and that is vital for Liverpool’s forward players. By comparison, Sadio Mané made 0.9 tackles per 90 minutes last season and 0.3 interceptions.Mané, of course, is key to Salah’s integration. It was not the only reason for Liverpool’s slump in the early part of the year but they were clearly a diminished team when Mané left for the Africa Cup of Nations (Salah, of course, is also likely to be involved in 2019 for Egypt). Salah, like Mané, is adept at carrying the ball with a burst of pace, and so can slot in readily enough on the right, although he has operated on the left.
He is not just cover for Mané, though. Salah could play on one wing with Mané on the other, with Philippe Coutinho operating more centrally. Or it is easy to imagine Salah linking well with Divock Origi, a more orthodox centre-forward: last season he created 22 chances for Eden Dzeko, seven of them scored – the second-most prolific combination in Europe’s top five leagues (after Ousmane Dembélé to Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang at Dortmund).
That disappointing spell at Chelsea means questions will inevitably be asked such as can Salah do it on a wet Tuesday night in Stoke? But against Ghana at the Cup of Nations, he did it on a humid Wednesday night in Port Gentil, inspiring Egypt to a 1-0 win on a pitch so bad that you suspect the Bet365 Stadium played better even before they had laid the turf. Frankly, if he can do it on tufted sand, Salah can do it anywhere.
If nothing else, Salah increases Klopp’s options and allows him to ease the burden on his forward line. But given his form over the past five years whenever he has had a regular game, there are plenty of reasons to think Salah will thrive on Merseyside.

Last edited:
He's coming in at close to Mane's and Firmino's prices, so I'm setting my targets / expectation at the same level of production as the other two. If he can produce the same sort of numbers, this would be a solid return and money well spent.

I think we won't be getting another (4th) wide player until Klopp has run the rule over the youngsters in pre-season and determined if any of them has improved enough to claim that spot.

The signing of Salah definitely gives us so many options up front.

He is strong on his left foot and loves to cut in from the right wing.

So if Mane starts on the left (and cuts in on to his preferred right) & Salah starts on the right (cutting in on to his left) - this will really allow our full backs on both sides to push high and make overlapping runs - increasing our overload in attack.

But if Salah starts on the left & Mane on the right - we have 2 players who can go around the opposition full backs - giving us more width and really allowing our central players like Lallana, Coutinho & Henderson to make runs through the middle.

Really looking forward to see how it plays out.

I have my doubts that he will be viewed as positively as Mane, who was the very definition of 'money well spent'.

His stats at Roma - transferability and relevance of that data to one side - suggest he should easily outperform the messiah in terms of goals and assists, but that's setting the bar quite low.

I do have some doubts about his mentality and there are reports of him disappearing like Wijnaldum in some games, but we will find out soon enough.

Hopefully it will be a good signing, but I'm nowhere near as confident as I was about Mane.

Last edited by a moderator:
The signing of Salah definitely gives us so many options up front.

He is strong on his left foot and loves to cut in from the right wing.

So if Mane starts on the left (and cuts in on to his preferred right) & Salah starts on the right (cutting in on to his left) - this will really allow our full backs on both sides to push high and make overlapping runs - increasing our overload in attack.

But if Salah starts on the left & Mane on the right - we have 2 players who can go around the opposition full backs - giving us more width and really allowing our central players like Lallana, Coutinho & Henderson to make runs through the middle.

Really looking forward to see how it plays out.

Others on here will know that as a general rule I prefer the second of the two options you describe above :). However, Klopp's had his front three interchanging all along and I hope we're still going to do that, because (a) it's worked well and (b) Salah could fit into it very well with the skill set you rightly describe above.

Others on here will know that as a general rule I prefer the second of the two options you describe above :). However, Klopp's had his front three interchanging all along and I hope we're still going to do that, because (a) it's worked well and (b) Salah could fit into it very well with the skill set you rightly describe above.
Well that depends on the FBs, Clyne is clearly not a great crosser or attacking FB, so I prefer to see him playing as they did this season, mainly dropping off Mane. On the left we'll have to see who materialises as first choice, if it were Kierney for example then that would work, if Milner stays first choice and we get a youngster to understudy him, then again that would be a 'No Thank you'.

By the way - I see he stayed at the Titanic. I've never been there. Is it good?

I'm amazed that there were no pictures of him taken at all by random fans ever since his departure from Egypt to London and then Liverpool. With the profile of the signing I thought it would be impossible that there would be no leaks or at least stealth pictures at this time of peak social media.

Well, he definitely, as his stats have indicated, is going to add considerably to our shooting threat. He has an excellent shot on him, and his conversion rate is remarkable.

'Elite finishing' - The stats behind Salah's 2016-17 season

After Mohamed Salah sealed a move to Liverpool this week, writer Andrew Beasley explores the numbers behind the forward's excellent 2016-17 season.

The Reds know their new No.11 can perform at the very highest level in a top league.
The table below proves just how well Salah did last term, as it shows how often he directly contributed to a goal in all competitions compared with the rest of Jürgen Klopp's squad.
cabe9c81565f6eb3fe936f1673ff2e8d22f5fdbf.jpeg

To put the Egyptian's figures into context beyond the confines of Liverpool, while Harry Kane (with a non-penalty goal or assist every 82 minutes in the Premier League) was ahead of the Roma man, the likes of Alexis Sanchez (101), Romelu Lukaku (109) and Diego Costa (114) were all behind him.
But how about more specific match stats?
Using the concept of radars to display a variety of player attributes, and with figures from Ted Knutson's attacking midfielder/forward radar templates, I have been able to create the below for Salah to give a general overview. All stats are per 90 minutes played, unless stated.
3ceb6079c37887746f0d19fde83c2f04783ad3d5.jpeg

As you would guess from the earlier table, goals and assists are his main strengths here, but you can see that he doesn't shoot that often; just 2.9 times per 90 minutes, when the most frequent shooters average over 4.5.
So how did he score so many goals? By converting a very high proportion of shots.
Salah scored with 18.8 per cent of his shots in Serie A last season, which is an elite level of finishing. In the last six seasons in the Premier League, a total of 106 players have had at least 80 non-penalty shots, which is how many Salah had in the league for Roma. Of those, just four converted more than 18.8 per cent of their goal attempts.
This isn't a one-off for Salah either. He converted 19.4 per cent of his league shots the year before, and 20.7 per cent of them in his half-season on loan at Fiorentina. In total in Serie A, the Liverpool new boy scored 35 of his 181 shots, at a remarkable rate of 19.3 per cent.
He converts a lot of shots, but it's no accident either. Not all shots are equal, and that's why the football data analysis community use expected goals (or 'xG' for short) to account for that fact. I have my own simple system, and in my model each shot Salah took last season had, on average, a 15.7 per cent chance of being scored.
Referring back to the 106 Premier League players I mentioned earlier reveals that just one of them took higher quality shots on average than Salah did in 2016-17. It was Emmanuel Adebayor in 2011-12, in case you were wondering, and I bet that wouldn't have been your guess.
The Egyptian's pace means that defenders can rarely keep up with him, and this enables him to get clean through and take lots of high-quality shots. Salah had 24 Opta-defined clear-cut chances in Serie A last season; only 19 players across the last six seasons in the Premier League have had so many (excluding penalties).
Salah doesn't appear to take shots from poor locations too often either, with 76 per cent of his shots being taken inside the opposition penalty box. This compares favourably with the Premier League average of 59 per cent of shots being taken from within the 18-yard area.
5ecdf82597a420c96f6fb2225059ea153e10c5c4.jpeg

It's not all positive on the radar. His rate for successful dribbles is surprisingly low, but this could perhaps be as a result of how dribbling data is captured. For instance, he averaged 3.1 successful dribbles per 90 minutes played for Chelsea, and 3.8 for Fiorentina, yet only 1.3 in Serie A last season. I can't believe he's that much worse a dribbler now, so treat that figure with caution.
The Liverpool manager expects his team to defend from the front, and Salah's tally of 1.3 tackles and interceptions per 90 may appear underwhelming. However, Sadio Mane averaged just 1.2 in his debut campaign for the Reds, and it's clear that his fellow African will play a similar role, so this lack of defensive output (at least by this measure) needn't be a massive concern.
A look at Salah's performance data shows that he's a resilient player. In his two-and-a-half seasons in Italy, the Egyptian missed just five league games due to injury, and only seven in all competitions. Like Mane, he will miss Liverpool matches due to the Africa Cup of Nations, but that aside, his career to date suggests he can be relied upon to be available for the majority of games – a fact that should not be underestimated.
Based on his track record, the signing of Salah is a real coup for Liverpool, and his pace and skill could make a vital difference for the Reds in 2017-18.

I'm amazed that there were no pictures of him taken at all by random fans ever since his departure from Egypt to London and then Liverpool. With the profile of the signing I thought it would be impossible that there would be no leaks or at least stealth pictures at this time of peak social media.

If you can access LFCTVGO, or whatever it's called, you'll see a fly on the wall film of him coming over to sign, and there are a few fans filming him, and then he's guided through a tour of the stadium where they let visitors take pics etc. Maybe they paid them off. Which sounds mad, except that a micro-managed transfer might make sense after the VVD debacle.

Shot conversion = luck

To a significant extent, yes. But the difference from his expected goals isn't THAT significant. He gets into dangerous places when shooting which ISN'T luck. He may be riding a bit of a red patch - but it's lasted multiple seasons - and his mean, if he regresses to it, is still likely to be good.

To a significant extent, yes. But the difference from his expected goals isn't THAT significant. He gets into dangerous places when shooting which ISN'T luck. He may be riding a bit of a red patch - but it's lasted multiple seasons - and his mean, if he regresses to it, is still likely to be good.
The other interesting fact relative to HIS shot conversion is that he tends to place the shots rather than just rely on power, he doesn't just welly them. Accuracy then over power could easily account for a higher conversion ratio.

Former Liverpool and Man City forward Craig Bellamy believes Mohamed Salah is what Liverpool need, describing his move to the Reds as “intelligent signing”.

Salah joined the Reds from Serie A runners-up Roma on a long-term deal, becoming the club’s record signing as well as the most expensive African player in history, and former Wales international Craig Bellamy has heaped praise on the Egyptian international

“I remember watching him when he was at Basel and he looked a very good player,” the Welshman told Liverpool’s official website.

“He deservedly got his move to Chelsea, it didn’t quite work out for him [there]… but his spell at Roma was very, very good. He has pace to burn and looks to go in behind, which is what Liverpool need, and hopefully he’ll work out to be a very good signing.”

Bellamy has revealed the difference between the Egyptian and his new team-mates Coutinho and Firmino, adding that Salah is the kind of player Liverpool need.

“What I like about him is that he’s always looking to get beyond and get behind the full-back and that’s really what they need,” he said.

“Coutinho, Firmino, they come towards the ball a lot, which is great because they’re excellent players and they make things happen, but you need runners.

“Mane made such a big difference because he was always looking to go in behind, so for me it’s an intelligent signing, a signing of the type of player they really need at this moment,” he added.

I was ordering my dinner when I saw this thread title and it sounds delicious,

Chicken Tikka Mo Salah

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom