• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Wes Sneijder - good idea?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't believe there is anything to debate about this. At the start of the window if anyone said we were going to sign Sneijder, I would have thought everyone would have been made up.
It still probably won't happen, but at least there seems some legs in it.

I can't believe there is anything to debate about this. At the start of the window if anyone said we were going to sign Sneijder, I would have thought everyone would have been made up.
It still probably won't happen, but at least there seems some legs in it.
I think he's a quality player, but just not worth 200k a week. You bring in someone like that and all of a sudden our wages will start to spiral again. You try to bring in more quality and they want something similar, and then the other players (like suarez) in the team want pay increases of something similar as well.

Plus for 200k a week i'd want a bit more consistency than he has shown over the last couple of years.

I think he's a quality player, but just not worth 200k a week. You bring in someone like that and all of a sudden our wages will start to spiral again. You try to bring in more quality and they want something similar, and then the other players (like suarez) in the team want pay increases of something similar as well.

Plus for 200k a week i'd want a bit more consistency than he has shown over the last couple of years.

But we're not going to pay him or anyone 200k a week. The point that some are trying to make is that they'd take him in a heartbeat so long as the deal was right for us, i.e. reasonable wages. If he's demanding 200k a week then he can fuck off to Turkey.

Inter pres. Moratti after meeting Sneijder:"There are still chances that Sneijder would stay.He is bit closer to Galatasaray than before"

If he's genuine about wanting to move to a club where'll he'll be noticed then he won't be demanding 200k a week from us.

I want him in the squad and I don't care what they pay him. All this wanting to protect the wage bill bullshit is a bit Stockholm Syndromey innit.

Err...apart from the last sentence being total fucking nonsense its not. It's all down to whether the player is worth the salary he demands. In our case we've fucked up so many times here it's actually caused us issues on the field and with recruitment So being prudent with the wage bill makes absolute sense. An ageing Wesley Sneijder is probably worth 80k a week which is an obscene salary anyway but anything above that is a risk. Ive nothing against recruiting top earners but you have to get those ones absolutely right and Sneijder being a known difficult character doesn't quite convince me.

Inter pres. Moratti after meeting Sneijder:"There are still chances that Sneijder would stay.He is bit closer to Galatasaray than before"

He's apparently willing to take a pay cut now at Inter. Sounds like he's all about the money to me

Nonsense, really?... There's a market that sets a price and a CL winning, world cup finalist who is obviously boss at footy is going to want parity with Theo Walcott and Gareth Barry etc.

28 isn't old at all, that was considered peak age for a midfielder until the lizards took over.

Nonsense, really?... There's a market that sets a price and a CL winning, world cup finalist who is obviously boss at footy is going to want parity with Theo Walcott and Gareth Barry etc.

28 isn't old at all, that was considered peak age for a midfielder until the lizards took over.

The Stockholm Syndrome thing doesn't make sense.

I don't doubt he's a good player but he has to be good value for the money as we simply can't afford any more expensive mistakes

let's get him and then decide in a yr if it was a good deal or not , i can live with that .

Empathising with our captors? That's how it seems to me.

I don't think there are any prizes for having wage caps, but they seem to be favoured over bagging an available world class player simply because we've overpaid a few shitehawks in the recent past.

I don't doubt he's a good player but he has to be good value for the money as we simply can't afford any more expensive mistakes

I reckon he would be value for money if he improved us. They've already offloaded tons of highly paid players so there's money available. There's a risk in any transfer, but when you're going for an experienced winner in the middle of his career they're at a minimum.

Empathising with our captors? That's how it seems to me.

I don't think there are any prizes for having wage caps, but they seem to be favoured over bagging an available world class player simply because we've overpaid a few shitehawks in the recent past.

I'm not empathising with anyone. We've spent years buying overpaid flops and it hurt us as a club. I find the "I don't care how much they pay him it's not my money" attitude all a bit naive to be honest

I dunno why though. They've already cleared the wage bill down and he's one of the players up there with about 50 others who arguably are the best in their positions. They're the players we need and they're the players you can shell out for.

One of the key things is that the fee is low so if it doesn't work out for some reason we'd still be able to get at least something similar back for him next year. Anyway its not gonna happen. He's spouting now about how happy he is in Milan and how good the fans are. Probably end up staying there

I dunno why though. They've already cleared the wage bill down and he's one of the players up there with about 50 others who arguably are the best in their positions. They're the players we need and they're the players you can shell out for.

Yes but if fix something you try not to break it again. This thing about now being open to take the pay cut at Inter shouts out mercenary cunt to me and I'm not sure that's the type of player we need.

Where do you see him fitting into the team out of interest ?

Moratti: "A nice chat with Sneijder"

MILAN - "I met Sneijder. I wanted to have a chat with him, I thought we needed to. Have we made peace? I don't think there was ever a war in the first place, and certainly not with me personally. Did we chat to see if we were all moving in the same direction? Which one? It's a surprise... Is he close to a move to Galatasaray? Yes, I think so." This is what president Massimo Moratti had to say to Sky Sport 24's Matteo Barzaghi when asked about this morning's meeting with the Dutch midfielder.
Sneijder added the following: "I spoke a lot with president Moratti because we have a good relationship, we had a good talk, nothing more than that. He said that it's looking like I'll be off to Galatasaray but there's still a slim chance I could stay? What the president said is exactly right. The Inter fans expect me to stay? Inter fans are the best around, I've won everything here and I'm happy here. Now I don't know whether I'll be saying, 'I am happy here' or 'I was happy here'. One of two things could happen, we'll see."

Yes but if fix something you try not to break it again. This thing about now being open to take the pay cut at Inter shouts out mercenary cunt to me and I'm not sure that's the type of player we need.

Where do you see him fitting into the team out of interest ?

They're all mercenary cunts. You try offering any player a 33% pay cut and see how they react. You try offering any person that and see what happens. It's a common factor amongst all top players so you can disregard it as an issue.

He's a midfielder who likes to attack, so he'd play behind the strikers or front three. He'd play wherever the hell Henderson or Shelvey were meant to be playing. Lucas and Allen could argue about the DF role and Gerrard could do whatevers.

I'm not empathising with anyone. We've spent years buying overpaid flops and it hurt us as a club. I find the "I don't care how much they pay him it's not my money" attitude all a bit naive to be honest

This.

There is this misconception that people who are advocating a more cautious approach don't rate Sneijder as a player or wouldn't be excited if he did join. Of course everyone would get their hopes up but that doesn't necessarily make him the best way to spend what will probably be 20M or so over the course of a decent contract (and no one is expecting anyone will have to pay him 200k a week).

It seems that most people that are all systems go with regards to Sneijder know him mostly by reputation anyway. He was fucking brilliant at Real Madrid and he's been pretty good for Holland over the years but has anyone seen him play in the last two years regularly?

The thing is I get all that cautioness but this is a world class player, one we only can dream of having in our team without him beeing homegrown or brought in at a very young age.

I know Suarez is getting there, world classy, but a Sneijder would make him even better.

Its a no brainer it really is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom