• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Wes Sneijder - good idea?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think this Cole thing has left everyone a bit mental. The thing is, the Cole deal wasn't actually that bad, but it's sure been used as a great excuse for mediocrity by the lizards.

If Cole's contract hadn't been run down and we'd have had to pay something for him, what would it have been? Say he had a couple of years left like Downing or whatevers? 15m? He was 28, maybe 12m. And then he got a four year contract on something sensible, like 60k a week, then the 4 years would cost (60k * 52 * 4) + 12m = about 25m

What actually got signed up to was 90 * 52 * 4 = i.e. about 19m. So it was a good deal. It would have been an ace deal if he'd have been any good.

The reason everyone freaked out was because we got new owners and they looked at the balance sheet and they didn't give a fuck that we didn't pay a transfer fee because that was before their time, they just saw 90k a week going out the door for someone who couldn't even get in the side.

What great PR for a shitty new transfer policy.

I suppose the reason I'm not totally convinced about this deal is that it'll probably remove the possibility of signing a Erikson or Coutino, so that in 3 years time when Sneijder is diminished and needing replaced, we neither the chance nor money to sign the aforementioned 2 who would be about to hit peak skill and value.

The Sneijder gambit works if gets us back in to the CL and puts us in to a position where we can attract and afford top class players at their peak in a few years time.

I think this Cole thing has left everyone a bit mental. The thing is, the Cole deal wasn't actually that bad, but it's sure been used as a great excuse for mediocrity by the lizards.

If Cole's contract hadn't been run down and we'd have had to pay something for him, what would it have been? Say he had a couple of years left like Downing or whatevers? 15m? He was 28, maybe 12m. And then he got a four year contract on something sensible, like 60k a week, then the 4 years would cost (60k * 52 * 4) + 12m = about 25m

What actually got signed up to was 90 * 52 * 4 = i.e. about 19m. So it was a good deal. It would have been an ace deal if he'd have been any good.

The reason everyone freaked out was because we got new owners and they looked at the balance sheet and they didn't give a fuck that we didn't pay a transfer fee because that was before their time, they just saw 90k a week going out the door for someone who couldn't even get in the side.

What great PR for a shitty new transfer policy.

Cole a good deal ? It was 19m for near enough nothing in return. It was a mistake, I don't understand how you can think otherwise. It's a classic example of something that looks good on paper but is actually useless.

His turning out crap doesn't make the model bad. They're two issues that people conflate.

I'm not against us spending big money on players Mark, I'm just saying we're not in a financial position where we can afford to make many such mistakes and we are in that position because of making those very mistakes in the first place. Sneijder has risk written all over him.

If the argument is that you don't think that he'll turn out any good for us then fair enough. I don't agree but that's crystal ball shit, each to their own.

But the money... you have to pay a premium for someone of his ability and experience. If you're not willing to do that you'll never sign anyone at the top of the game again.

Bbcs Simon austin saying we're interested in him and he's keen on us . And he's on 6 million euro a year after tax, so approx 90k sterling per week after tax That's the only stumbling block

Bbcs Simon austin saying we're interested in him and he's keen on us . And he's on 6 million euro a year after tax, so approx 90k sterling per week after tax That's the only stumbling block

Which is around 180k a week...

His turning out crap doesn't make the model bad. They're two issues that people conflate.

sorry, but the comment about the lizards using it as an excuse for mediocrity is bollocks. Remind me how much we've shelled out in transfer fees since they came in? We've spent £40m since the Summer and still look to be spending. Not wanting to be taken for mugs surely isn' t a bad thing, we fucked up by overspending on average players and it had to stop. People keep making up this rubbish that they've stopped us spending significant sums as another, baseless excuse to put the boot in, and who the manager wants is what every owner has to invest a degree of faith in.

Inter pres. Moratti after meeting Sneijder:"There are still chances that Sneijder would stay.He is bit closer to Galatasaray than before"

I put this through Babelfish and it came out as: "Yes, Liverpool are interested, so we're trying to squeeze as much as we can out of them."

sorry, but the comment about the lizards using it as an excuse for mediocrity is bollocks. Remind me how much we've shelled out in transfer fees since they came in? We've spent £40m since the Summer and still look to be spending. Not wanting to be taken for mugs surely isn' t a bad thing, we fucked up by overspending on average players and it had to stop. People keep making up this rubbish that they've stopped us spending significant sums as another, baseless excuse to put the boot in, and who the manager wants is what every owner has to invest a degree of faith in.

Lizard.

Do you think sneijder is an average player?

No Barry, why? Have the owners said they're against moving for him? Ayre said on Friday that this so called policy isn't that stringent that we wouldn't invest in an older player if the deal was right.

If we sign this guy I'd love to see which direction the anti-lizard campaign takes.

No Barry, why? Have the owners said they're against moving for him? Ayre said on Friday that this so called policy isn't that stringent that we wouldn't invest in an older player if the deal was right.

If we sign this guy I'd love to see which direction the anti-lizard campaign takes.

I'll let them off for leaving us in the massive shit in the summer.

When you mentioned average players in your last post i thought you were including him in that. Must have misunderstood the context. Apologies.

Wesley Sneijder for 6 to 7 million quid plus a reasonable wage would be a fantastic deal.

I'd be more concerned if they didn't learn from it and look to rectify it on the first day of the next transfer window. They fucked up, yes, but the trend hasn't continued. By all accounts they wanted Sturridge bought and no Dempsey, Rodgers wanted Sturridge on loan and Dempsey bought. Looking at how Dempsey has performed so far, I know which now looks the better deal.

Yeah but we all know that four forwards went out the door and we got Borini to replace them. There's getting the wage bill down and there's capitulating - that looked like the latter.

If they added another top class player along with Sturridge it would certainly look like it was a mistake that they've learned from instead.

Ok I've been away way too long it seems. Henry is a lizard? Like in V(the 80's V, not the shitty new one)?

I always fancied Diana when I was a kid. Scary yet so sexy. Hmm maybe Linda Pizzuti is a lizard too? *drools*

If the argument is that you don't think that he'll turn out any good for us then fair enough. I don't agree but that's crystal ball shit, each to their own.

But the money... you have to pay a premium for someone of his ability and experience. If you're not willing to do that you'll never sign anyone at the top of the game again.

I think the argument is more, that with limited resources, would we be better spending it on someone who might be in the skill bracket Sneijder is in now, in 3 years time - but still have 5 or 6 years left at that skill level or at least be worth top dollar.

Whatever Sneijder is worth now - he won't in 3 years time - and he probably won't be as good skill wise.

It's like Spurs buying Bale - there's no way they could afford him now - but they took a chance on him when they could - now he's at the top of his game and worth a fortune.

The wage bill cleared down thing is nonsense- I'll bet it hasn't changed much given the new signings and raises given to others.

Ok I've been away way too long it seems. Henry is a lizard? Like in V(the 80's V, not the shitty new one)?

I always fancied Diana when I was a kid. Scary yet so sexy. Hmm maybe Linda Pizzuti is a lizard too? *drools*

What username were you previously known as?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom