• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

When the Moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie that's

No 'verbal agreement' between Liverpool and Amorimpublished at 11:57​

11:57​

Mandeep Sanghera
BBC Sport

Ruben Amorim
IMAGE SOURCE,GETTY IMAGES
Liverpool have been heavily linked with Sporting Lisbon manager Ruben Amorim as a replacement for Jurgen Klopp since Xabi Alonso announced he would be staying at Bayer Leverkusen.

However, it is not believed the Reds have reached a verbal agreement with Amorim as they continue their search for Klopp's successor when the German leaves at the end of the season.

It is understood Liverpool are undertaking a thorough and robust process which includes extensive research and due diligence around a number of viable candidates.

They do not want get into providing a running commentary on their search but, to suggest a preferred candidate has been identified and acted upon, would be wholly inaccurate.

As I said.... Fraud

He doesn't need to be, he can keep his preferred left side if he wants.

JoGo should never be a regular at CB in a Liverpool side looking to compete for the biggest prizes.

If we're moving away from a midfield 3 and using wingbacks then I'd prefer him competing with Bradley for a place, his best asset is still being able to pick pockets of space wide and delivering pin point crosses.

We simply need a bigger goal threat in attack than having Robbo and Bradley on the wings and Szobo/Mac supporting Darwin, that isn't going to cut it. Other than Darwin, no one else there is getting double figures for goals consistently.

Jota can play that role, pretty sure Jota at Wolves played that position under Nuno when he went to 3 at the back, we do see him dropping deep to pick up the ball as he's not your traditional stay high and wide then make a run across splitting the defence type forward.

You can't have your 2 attacking support in the new system "essentially playing the roles Mac and Szobo are currently playing", have you ever watched a team that play a 343 or 3421 system? Go watch a few Leverkusen games and you'll see how Wirtz and Adli roles and positions differ to Xhaka and Andrich. They play absolutely nothing like Szobo and Mac. do in our set up.

JoGo was a regular at CB in the side that won the League. Where else will he play, as Wing Back?

I don’t know what point you think you’re making with Xabi’s set up - Amorim sets up differently - it will depend on who he wants giving width and who he wants tracking back.

If we’re playing 3 up front tucking in. Then unless the wing backs are inverting into midfield we’re setting up like Nan Utd’s midfield - ie all over the place.

If the “10’s” are providing with, then they’re not scoring much.

You might be right in Jota playing in one of the 10’s though.

Trent might revert to being a RWB only, but I don’t think that’s the best option and we’re unlikely to keep both him & Brsdley happy for long.

Why are you wanting to play Mac so deep when he’s just been proving how good he is further forward?

JoGo was a regular at CB in the side that won the League. Where else will he play, as Wing Back?

I don’t know what point you think you’re making with Xabi’s set up - Amorim sets up differently - it will depend on who he wants giving width and who he wants tracking back.

If we’re playing 3 up front tucking in. Then unless the wing backs are inverting into midfield we’re setting up like Nan Utd’s midfield - ie all over the place.

If the “10’s” are providing with, then they’re not scoring much.

You might be right in Jota playing in one of the 10’s though.

Trent might revert to being a RWB only, but I don’t think that’s the best option and we’re unlikely to keep both him & Brsdley happy for long.

Why are you wanting to play Mac so deep when he’s just been proving how good he is further forward?
Yes was.....5 years ago Stevie, we've seen 3 years of crap from him at CB since and we've moved on from Joe at CB. Bench and kept for cover/rotation only.

Look who Amorim plays as his 2 behind Gyokeres, Edwards/Trincao/Paulinho/Goncalves......they're all very different players to Mac/Szobo (especially Mac) and other than Goncalves who I think has always been a #10 anyway, the others have converted from wingers....think Paulinho was even his main man up top before they signed Gyokeres.

It's not really 3 up top tucking in though, Szobo can play the right attacking side like he does for Hungary. I've always seen Jota as more of an inside forward anyway, that left attacking side would suit him to a T.......heck I even see Diaz/Gakpo being more than capable because they've shown that versatility of dropping deep/getting involved centrally to make things happen.

Do you see Mac being able to get double figures for goals? He's forming a brilliant partnership with Endo, why would you want to break that up? Endo will still be there beside him being the 1 dropping deepest, doing most of the recoveries and breaking up of play and it wouldn't stop Mac being influential and showing his class on the ball like he's currently doing.

What does it say? Bruno Andrade is a decent journo

Bruno says that Amorim has already been interviewed by Liverpool, who have agreed to all the conditions imposed by Amorim for signing him (e.g. a contract of at least 3 years). The only thing left is for Liverpool to negotiate his release with Sporting. A decisive meeting is expected in April

Goes on to say that since he's been interviewed he's just going to focus on the League title now. His representatives are leading the conversations and "nothing has been finalized"

Pedro says Bruno is a liar and that Amorim hasn't been personally interviewed - but goes on to reiterate almost everything else that Bruno says.

Basically no promises made, but we are in bed together and moving rapidly past third base. Still need to speak to your dad though.

Bruno says that Amorim has already been interviewed by Liverpool, who have agreed to all the conditions imposed by Amorim for signing him (e.g. a contract of at least 3 years). The only thing left is for Liverpool to negotiate his release with Sporting. A decisive meeting is expected in April

Goes on to say that since he's been interviewed he's just going to focus on the League title now. His representatives are leading the conversations and "nothing has been finalized"

Pedro says Bruno is a liar and that Amorim hasn't been personally interviewed - but goes on to reiterate almost everything else that Bruno says.

Not quite..

Look at the dates.

Pedro said yesterday that he'd been offered a 3 year contract by the club.

Today he back tracks and says all contact is through his agent and not him directly.

you can be offered a contract through your agent.
In fact, you can do lots of stuff through an agent.

Yes was.....5 years ago Stevie, we've seen 3 years of crap from him at CB since and we've moved on from Joe at CB. Bench and kept for cover/rotation only.

Look who Amorim plays as his 2 behind Gyokeres, Edwards/Trincao/Paulinho/Goncalves......they're all very different players to Mac/Szobo (especially Mac) and other than Goncalves who I think has always been a #10 anyway, the others have converted from wingers....think Paulinho was even his main man up top before they signed Gyokeres.

It's not really 3 up top tucking in though, Szobo can play the right attacking side like he does for Hungary. I've always seen Jota as more of an inside forward anyway, that left attacking side would suit him to a T.......heck I even see Diaz/Gakpo being more than capable because they've shown that versatility of dropping deep/getting involved centrally to make things happen.

Do you see Mac being able to get double figures for goals? He's forming a brilliant partnership with Endo, why would you want to break that up? Endo will still be there beside him being the 1 dropping deepest, doing most of the recoveries and breaking up of play and it wouldn't stop Mac being influential and showing his class on the ball like he's currently doing.

No mate - we’ve seen 3 years of injuries and inconsistent game time. He’s a player that needs a few games and then needs to play consistently to get into his groove. He’s only played at CB a couple of times this season and been fine.

He’d fit better as a CB in a 3 than as a WB.

Mac isn’t sitting beside Endo - he’s been playing further forward lately - we have a FB inverting that sits beside Endo. It’s no surprise that he’s looked great further forward and his scoring has increased. When he’s deep, he’s replacing Endo, not partnering him.

He could and probably will both replace and partner Endo in that deep roll - in the same way that Trent almost always is the inverting option from FB and actually has partnered Endo or Mac in the deep roll.

What you’re likely to see, with a fixed double pivot, is Endo, Mac & Trent being the 3 most used options there, with Mac likely playing further forward more often and Bradley at RWB more often. Trent would be the part of the double pivot used, as he is now, to moved the ball more directly to the forwards when we want to hit quickly. If we’re being more patient, then Trent would likely be the one to move up the field if the central CB steps up into the double pivot.

If Mac plays in that forward role, then yes, I think he will reach double figures in a season - particularly if he’s taking penalties instead of Salah - he reached that last season for Brighton.

At the minute he’s more reliable at scoring than Dom and I could see CJ & Harvey playing in those roles too and it would also suit Carvalho & Clark - none of those would suit the deeper roles or WB positions.

Gakpo & Jota will likely be cover for Darwin and options along with the attacking midfielders for the inside forward/20’s depending on how Amorim wants to set up.

There’s options there, but Amorim’s system is clearly combining the 2 wider attacking positions and 2 attacking midfield positions in Klopp’s team into 2 positions - that’s how we’re getting a fixed double pivot & 3 at the back.

That means Mac, Dom, CJ, Harvey, Gravy, Gakpo, Jota, Diaz & Mo are, in essence all competing for 2 positions (granted, I wouldn’t think Gravy is suited there at all). A few of them can play in other areas but if we’re saying Darwin & Endo are considered regular starters, that only leaves the 2nd double pivot DM role as open.

That’s a lot of players either not playing regularly or needing to be moved on.l and replaced with a couple of new players more suited to the system.

He plays a 3-4-3, no 10.

I’m thinking Szobo in a wide forward role

I’m not following you.

Does he play with wing backs or not?

If he does, are the wing backs included in the 4 midfielders or the 3 forwards?

If he doesn’t play with wing backs then who’s defending the deep wide positions?

I’m not following you.

Does he play with wing backs or not?

If he does, are the wing backs included in the 4 midfielders or the 3 forwards?

If he doesn’t play with wing backs then who’s defending the deep wide positions?

Soz, I misunderstood you. :)
He plays with wingbacks, and the midfielders Macca/Jones would be in that double pivot, not 10's imho.

Because when you're a newly appointed coach at a big club one degree bigger than whatever you've been used to, the smart thing is to use a proven formation and system that you've designed you're used to rather than experiment.
Is it smart to ask a whole squad to play an unfamiliar system. That literally seems like the opposite of smart. No matter how well the manager knows the system.

Soz, I misunderstood you. :)
He plays with wingbacks, and the midfielders Macca/Jones would be in that double pivot, not 10's imho.

This is partly my problem with his system, FOR US.

You’re looking at 2 midfielders in the double pivot and we have Mac, Endo, Curtis, Gravy, Badger, Morton, McConnell and even Trent to fill those.

In the 2 wider forward positions or inside forwards or 10’s or whatever they are - we have Slobs, Harvey, Gakpo, Mo, Diaz, Jota, Doak, Carvalho.

So… right now we could play Trent (inverting), Endo, Mac & Slobs in midfield and still have a front 3 of Diaz, Darwin & Mo - and that would arguably be our strongest line up.

Under Amorim, if we played Endo, Trent, Mac & Slobs together in “midfield” - Darwin would be on his own up front.

The only bonus of the new system is you could add Bradley as a wing back on the right - but for me, while it’s stronger at the back, it’s diminished in attack and I wonder if it’ll work as well against better drilled defences in the EPL.

For me we’re adding a RWB & a CB at the expense of 2 from the attacking midfield & forward line.

Do you see what I’m getting at?

This is partly my problem with his system, FOR US.

You’re looking at 2 midfielders in the double pivot and we have Mac, Endo, Curtis, Gravy, Badger, Morton, McConnell and even Trent to fill those.

In the 2 wider forward positions or inside forwards or 10’s or whatever they are - we have Slobs, Harvey, Gakpo, Mo, Diaz, Jota, Doak, Carvalho.

So… right now we could play Trent (inverting), Endo, Mac & Slobs in midfield and still have a front 3 of Diaz, Darwin & Mo - and that would arguably be our strongest line up.

Under Amorim, if we played Endo, Trent, Mac & Slobs together in “midfield” - Darwin would be on his own up front.

The only bonus of the new system is you could add Bradley as a wing back on the right - but for me, while it’s stronger at the back, it’s diminished in attack and I wonder if it’ll work as well against better drilled defences in the EPL.

For me we’re adding a RWB & a CB at the expense of 2 from the attacking midfield & forward line.

Do you see what I’m getting at?

Yeah, I think you're right about CB and then most likely a LCB. Regarding RWB I'm not to sure. It depends on what role he sees Trent playing in the future. If its at RWB then him and Bradley have us covered there.

Back
Top Bottom