• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

When the Moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie that's

Yeah, I think you're right about CB and then most likely a LCB. Regarding RWB I'm not to sure. It depends on what role he sees Trent playing in the future. If its at RWB then him and Bradley have us covered there.

I’m not sure that Trent & Bradley at RWB is the great thing everyone thinks it is.

If Trent’s earmarked for that role, then as Vice Captain, likely future Captain, the ne of the highest paid, best players in the squad and someone coming into his prime - then he’ll play all the games he’s fit for.

That means Bradley would likely play the odd game, early Cup rounds and dead rubbers - not ideal for his development.

Ideally, for me, Trent moved to midfield and we get in an older player for backup and Bradley gets to play consistently (or the young Scottish lad gets a crack at backup since he’s never fit.

People need to give Amorim a chance and not make comparisons to Klopp always. Managers like Klopp who virtually not only changed a club but the City (Liverpool FC is what gives the City international credentials and noterity). There isn't another Klopp like personality. There are big personalities in football but they're not humble and can be very toxic (eg Pep, maureen and Conti).

Last edited:
People need to give Amorim a chance and not make comparisons to Klopp always. Managers like Klopp who virtually not only changed a club but the City (Liverpool FC is what gives the City international credentials and creed). There isn't another Klopp like personality. There are big personalities in football but they're not humble and can be very toxic (eg Pep, maureen and Conti).
The cunt's not even been appointed yet and there has already been so much pre-judgement.....& not only of him.

I remember people being sceptical about Klopp too at first, referencing his awful last season at Dortmund. No one can know how any managerial (or player for that matter) tenure will go.

Ultimately it's one of those long list of things in life you'll never be able to control, since the establishment that is known as the internet, people in this day and age have to an opinion about anything and everything.

It's also possible that Amorim plays a system that he thinks suits the players he has. With a new set of players, he may well adapt his approach rather than putting square pegs into round holes and doing what he always did.
Very true.

Klopp predominately opted to go with a double pivot in a 4231 at BVB didn't he? Bender/Nuri and Ilkay.

None of us know, but that doesn’t mean you can’t have reservations or look for things that indicate how we might look under him.

That’s not necessarily negative and it’s also no indication that anyone won’t be firmly behind him when the time comes.

However… there were cunts on here that thought Hodge Podge appointment was a good idea and we’re looking forward to it, while some called it pretty early that he was a fucking awful appointment.

No-one, absolutely no-one has called Amorim a bad appointment.

Very true.

Klopp predominately opted to go with a double pivot in a 4231 at BVB didn't he? Bender/Nuri and Ilkay.
Exactly, and there's probably a significant influence of the league itself. Certain systems may work in Italy / Portugal, but not so much in England. By contrast, Conte came to Chelsea and played 3 at the back, won the league but then struggled afterwards. A good coach will always be evolving their approach, and the ones that don't change are doomed to fail long-term (e.g. Rafa, who was at the top of the game for a while, but it didn't last).
Much as I dislike Pep's football (bores the arse off me) he is a coach that changes and innovates, and that's as much a reason for City's enduring success as their financial doping is.

Exactly, and there's probably a significant influence of the league itself. Certain systems may work in Italy / Portugal, but not so much in England. By contrast, Conte came to Chelsea and played 3 at the back, won the league but then struggled afterwards. A good coach will always be evolving their approach, and the ones that don't change are doomed to fail long-term (e.g. Rafa, who was at the top of the game for a while, but it didn't last).
Much as I dislike Pep's football (bores the arse off me) he is a coach that changes and innovates, and that's as much a reason for City's enduring success as their financial doping is.

I agree with all that - but there isn’t a lot of evidence to suggest Amorim will change his system - absolutely every review of him talks about how he does change the fundamental system - he can vary it a little but it stays within the same framework

There is also the belief that “the system” isn’t as important as the “way of playing” that underpins it - like is it posession based, counter attacking, direct, or is it low block, high line or high press etc.

Klopp is pretty wedded to 433, so the wedded to a system might be ok as long as we have the players capable of working in it and not a pile of square pegs we’re trying to fit into round holes.

I will wager a shiny 20c coin that, if/when he does join us, he plays 4-3-3 in his first PL game

We don’t have enough depth to have 3 starting CBs, but TBH if he has a system he knows how to coach I’m all for it.

I think we're going to buy a CB in the summer regardless. Matips going, konate is injury prone, Quansah has done well but still raw, VVD is getting older (though who knows he long his peak will continue).

I think all of our awesome mids will still get in the squad, mainly through a team like @StevieM set up

I think we're going to buy a CB in the summer regardless. Matips going, konate is injury prone, Quansah has done well but still raw, VVD is getting older (though who knows he long his peak will continue).

I think all of our awesome mids will still get in the squad, mainly through a team like @StevieM set up

What he could… here me out, is have his 343 sort of move into a diamond 4 in midfield.

Let’s say he keeps Robbo & Trent at WB and keeps Virgil at LCB & Konate at RCB.

Say he plays Endo as the central CB, but n possession pushes up into a single pivot DM - which is the defensive point of the diamond.

You have a starting Double pivot at 6 of Mac & CJ that push up into, let’s call it an 8 double pivot which is narrow, the engine room - that’s be the side points of the diamond.

Then you have Dom at the attacking point if the diamond in a sort of 10/false 9 position.

Than then leave you front 2 to work in Mo, Jota & Darwin.

In defence Endo can drop between the CB’s, Mac & CJ can drop deep and operate a defensive double pivot protecting the CBs and the WBs can drop deep allowing the 3 CBs to go narrow and make it hard to play through us.

Dunno how this will look typing it in, but it would be like this :

1712829814320.jpeg

Last edited:
Right… the WB’s are a bit high, but yuh get the gist.

Not saying we have the best players got it - but that’s a system without having to buy anyone.

Badger would probably be great in the Endo role, you could move Trent central & play Bradley, Gakpo could play across the front 2 or false 9.

All sorts of options.

Right… the WB’s are a bit high, but yuh get the gist.

Not saying we have the best players got it - but that’s a system without having to buy anyone.

Badger would probably be great in the Endo role, you could move Trent central & play Bradley, Gakpo could play across the front 2 or false 9.

All sorts of options.

I like the idea as an alternative, but I'm not sure I like the balance of the midfield personnel wise.

Still, the amorim idea at least has variations and suits a majority of our players, so we might be slightly harder to predict

I like the idea as an alternative, but I'm not sure I like the balance of the midfield personnel wise.

Still, the amorim idea at least has variations and suits a majority of our players, so we might be slightly harder to predict

What dont you like about it in terms of balance?

What dont you like about it in terms of balance?
As much as when defensively endo will be dropping back, it leaves Jones and Mac as the supposed 6's, something which doesn't really.play to either of their strengths. Equally, when attacking it gives the impression Macca will be sitting further back, also taking away from his creativity.

Suppose for me it falls down when it comes to 2 up top with the 10 behind. I feel Macca needs to be in that area for the high pressure as well as the creativity. The more "box" kind of midfield in the 3 4 3 that you originally posited, allowed endo and Trent to control play from deep, with occasional forays forward for Trent. Mac and szob floating around a central 9 (Jota, Nunez, whoever), as well as the flying fullbacks allows our current team to flourish in favoured areas.

The floating 10s easily are Salah, Macca, szob, maybe Diaz and Jota

The 9, Nunez or Jota or a new boyo

Equally, Macca could rotate with Trent, or Trent can find himself at rwb when Bradley needs resting.

The other system offered a lot more versatility and fluidity for me, and allowed all our players to play in their strongest areas.

Like, I think we could make no signings and that 343 would work wonders already. We'd be a bit short at CB, but otherwise it works (on paper)

Like, our wingers aren't that great and don't really play as true wingers, so as "inside forwards" it would add a lot to our game and lose very little

I think if we’re going to play 3 at the back we probably need 2 CBs - 1 top quality and 1 either a kid or a Vet that doesn’t need to play regularly.

I like 433 and I like fluidity with players moving into midfield from defence and I like box midfields.

I’m weird like that.

I think if we’re going to play 3 at the back we probably need 2 CBs - 1 top quality and 1 either a kid or a Vet that doesn’t need to play regularly.

I like 433 and I like fluidity with players moving into midfield from defence and I like box midfields.

I’m weird like that.

You think we'd need 5 CBS or 6?

VVD, ibou, Gomez, quansah, Ignacio/diomande (as every fule know, managers always bring their old players with them) and maybe an older solid option; similar to when Chelsea got thiago Silva?

Think that would completely suffice, even with injury prone Gomez and ibou

You think we'd need 5 CBS or 6?

VVD, ibou, Gomez, quansah, Ignacio/diomande (as every fule know, managers always bring their old players with them) and maybe an older solid option; similar to when Chelsea got thiago Silva?

Think that would completely suffice, even with injury prone Gomez and ibou

Yeah, the cheap option is Van den Berg, because he’s already ours and as someone pointed out is playing in a 3 CB set up and doing well.

Then go for the best CB money can buy at around that 23yo age group to be a fixture for the best part of the next decade.

I’m weird like that.
I like 433 too. And the issue with only 2 up front is where are the goals coming from? We are likely to hit 150 goals this season. Are our FBs and midfielders going to supplement our forwards to that extent?

Back
Top Bottom