• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • Repeating an offer I made a while ago. If anyone wants me to change their username then just DM me (@Dee)

Xabi Alonso

I'm 100% the opposite.

Will he be Bayern manager one day? Possibly.

But I don't see the 'challenge' Alonso would get from it. Especially if he wins the domestic double.

Going to Bayern, makes you instantly hated by the Bayer faithful. When he should be treated with God like status if he pulls it off.

It'd be like Klopp going to Man City, straight after winning the PL. Would leave a very sour taste in our fan bases mouths.
Not even remotely close situations imo.

I honestly don't know who Xabi will choose if both we and Bayern chase him. Bayern is less risk, their job is easier every year. Therefore cementing his reputation. We are up against City and others, how could that impact your CV? I honestly don't know. What are our other options?

Xabi will need to win the CL with Bayern to enhance his reputation if he were to go there. Not winning it at Bayern diminished Guardiola’s.

Xabi will need to win the CL with Bayern to enhance his reputation if he were to go there. Not winning it at Bayern diminished Guardiola’s.
Nah, that was only because he had won it twice with Barca and back then Bayern were still a force.

Bit of a headscratcher this 1 unless you have some sort of contempt for Bayern.

Yeah I do have contempt for teams whose response to losing the league is just to buy the entire team / manager of the team that came first. And I do have contempt for players / managers who spit on their fans in that way.

Yeah I do have contempt for teams whose response to losing the league is just to buy the entire team / manager of the team that came first. And I do have contempt for players / managers who spit on their fans in that way.
Don't know about the entire team but it's only natural they'll go after someone they feel is at the top of their game right now. They're a huge club that want to maintain themselves as the best at least domestically, nothing wrong with that so long as the 2 clubs are willing to talk to one another and go about it professionally, it'd be hypocritical to suggest otherwise. They haven't lost the league yet, or the CL for that matter so let's wait to see what happens there.

Bayern aren't the side they are today by being manufactured, they did it the proper way. If they aren't producing their own stars, they're buying some top talent for relatively minimal fees and turning them into stars. Signing someone like Kane for the amount they did which they may do from time to time is a result of all those decades of building up.

If they aren't producing their own stars, they're buying some top talent for relatively minimal fees and turning them into stars.

When a single team pretty much has a monopoly on the league, they can hoover up the best talent in the league, which is similar to what Man Utd did for a long time under Ferguson.

When a single team pretty much has a monopoly on the league, they can hoover up the best talent in the league, which is similar to what Man Utd did for a long time under Ferguson.
Yes there is truth in that but there's more to it than that. There is still a lot of work to do to first find the talent, do all that hot scouting report bollocks, then nurture them into the first team fold where they become stars in the system you're playing & it's not just their own league they look to.

10 years ago they signed Kimmich from the German 2nd division.
5 years ago they signed Alphonso from the bloody Canadian league, still flabbergasted how they found him.
They recently signed a 17 year old who played 7 games for a mid table French side who now looks to be a superstar in the making.
They took a chance on a kid in Gnabry who was turned away by both Arsene and Fat Sam!!! and turned him into a fine fine winger.

+ their own talents which are some of the best to have ever graced the game, Lahm, Kroos, Schweinsteiger, Alaba, Muller, Musiala, Hummels etc

Body of work like that can only be admired.

Last edited:
Sky Sports journalist, Florian Plettenberg, said: "It is not 100 per cent clear that Alonso will say yes to FC Bayern. Bayern have been informed about the difficulty of this transfer. But according to my information, at this stage, Alonso is more willing to join Bayern Munich, instead of joining Liverpool. Bayern have already enquired about Alonso and Liverpool have also enquired about the manager in the last few days and weeks."

Plettenberg has excellent sources in Bayern- he called that BM were sniffing around Kane in Sept. 2022, well before anyone else. Of course BM sources probably would tell him Munich is preferred to Liverpool, but this is definitely a concern.

I find it difficult to believe we are letting go the current manager and his entire staff having received months of notice before announcing it and then leaving it until the end of the season to look for a new manager and staff.

Unless the owners were trying to dissuade Klopp and he's then taken it upon himself to force the issue by announcing it himself and dropping the club in the shit.

I think it's more likely a replacement is sorted.

I find it difficult to believe we are letting go the current manager and his entire staff having received months of notice before announcing it and then leaving it until the end of the season to look for a new manager and staff.

Unless the owners were trying to dissuade Klopp and he's then taken it upon himself to force the issue by announcing it himself and dropping the club in the shit.

Klopp wouldn't do that to the club, the players, the fans. So I agree - it's sorted.

Reactions: mom
It would be a huge shame if we missed out on Alonso. It all seems perfectly set up for him to come and continue any successful spell we have

Not that difficult to believe seeing how they've dropped the ball on the sporting director appointment. Gravy was a Klopp sanctioned buy wasn't it, and we had to wait to the last minute to sort out Endo.

Writing on Twitter, Plettenberg claims that Alonso’s representatives have been approached, with the chances of Bayern hiring him described as “very difficult.”

Meanwhile, kicker journalist Georg Holzner went further in claiming that Alonso is “already in advanced discussions” with Liverpool.

Holzner adds that Bayern will “give everything” to hire their top candidate, but names Zinedine Zidane, Hansi Flick, Stuttgart’s Sebastian Hoeness and Aston Villa‘s Unai Emery as managers who are “also being watched.”

Sky Sports journalist, Florian Plettenberg, said: "It is not 100 per cent clear that Alonso will say yes to FC Bayern. Bayern have been informed about the difficulty of this transfer. But according to my information, at this stage, Alonso is more willing to join Bayern Munich, instead of joining Liverpool. Bayern have already enquired about Alonso and Liverpool have also enquired about the manager in the last few days and weeks."

That was yesterday's news.. After having his arse handed to him on a plate about how absurd his news was.. he did a 180 today

View: https://twitter.com/Plettigoal/status/1760600817403400463?t=Hy13cCQzRerxNAcdXZnk-A&s=19

Managing Liverpool asks a lot of everyone. Especially senior management. I'm not sure senior management really have the energy and the creativity to manage the transition well after 14 years of ownership. But we will see.

I think Xabi would be nuts not to take the Liverpool job this coming Summer, assuming that managing us is something he wants to do.

With the team he’s inheriting he’ll have a chance to really do something. That might be not the case the next time the job’s available whereas at Bayern, he’ll win the league whenever he takes it.

Sentiments aside, going to Bayern for 2 seasons (sweeping as many silverware along the way as possible) before heading to RM to replace Ancelotti and manage the squad they have, would be worth considering

It would be nuts to go to Bayern. What would he achieve by going there, win another BL like it never happened before with Bayern. On the other side, coming to Liverpool or Madrid will mean so much more. I just hope that we are able to provide right set up for him to make a positive decision.

Ward announced his decision to leave in Nov 2022. Seeing how the Sporting Director role was handled since then doesn't fill me with confidence (definitely hope to be proven wrong). Dread to see a managerial version of the Tchouameni/Bellingham pursuit.
In this case, maybe we should just forget about Tchouameni/Alonso pursuit and go directly for the manager of Stuttgart 😉

Sentiments aside, going to Bayern for 2 seasons (sweeping as many silverware along the way as possible) before heading to RM to replace Ancelotti and manage the squad they have, would be worth considering

Only if you want to diminish what you've achieved at Leverkusen.

He had an affinity with Bayern, Madrid, Sociedad and us as a player.

I'm sure he'd want to be remembered fondly by the Leverkusen fans. Jumping straight to Munich wouldn't sit well with them.

They'd accept it if they finished 3rd or 4th.. but not like this.

Just my personal opinion, but I think if he was to manage Bayern one day, he'd go the long way round.

Back
Top Bottom