• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Xabi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whirly

Sucks to Suck.
Liverpool boss Brendan Rodgers is set to ask club owner John W Henry if he is willing to bend the rules on his over-30 player policy in order to bring back Xabi Alonso to Anfield. The Daily Mail claims Rodgers is keen on the 31-year-old, but his age may work against him when funds are requested.

Rodgers is interested in Real Madrid midfielder Xabi Alonso who is still revered on Merseyside but £10million for a 31-year-old is against Henry’s model.

Numerous reasons why this probably won't happen, but seems worth a thread at this point. Dare I say, this tumour rumour might just have some legs after all.

I for one would love him back but 10m seems a tad much but we'd have to sell Allen wouldn't we?

We're roughly breaking even on transfers as it stands so far this window, so I can't see us floundering for cash, and after all this is a position of need. With Shelvey moving on, I don't see an issue with keeping Henderson and Allen, and adding another name to the mix.

Would love to see Xabi back here. I reckon he's got at least another couple of years in him at the highest level. And he's been playing like a 35 year old for most of his career, so I don't think his decline will be as stark as some.

I don't for a minute think this might happen but I really hope I'm wrong. Would absolutely love to see Xabi back. Stranger things have happened.

On a free yes but 10m plus his wages for a player who turns 32 this year is not going to happen

I'm not sure having a midfield duo of Gerrard & Alonso would be entirely the best solution.

Granted, it would be better than Gerrard & Lucas, but it would be a real shirt term thing.

If Rodgers was going to push Gerrard forward, then I'd see the point, but he's not done that as yet.

I'm not sure having a midfield duo of Gerrard & Alonso would be entirely the best solution.

Granted, it would be better than Gerrard & Lucas, but it would be a real shirt term thing.

If Rodgers was going to push Gerrard forward, then I'd see the point, but he's not done that as yet.

I dont think Gerrard has the pace to play this role anymore

I'll welcome him back anytime of the day. 10 Mil or not.

Look at it this way - with his sort of game, he can easily play at the highest level for another good 5 years. Like Gary Mcallister or Andrea Pirlo.

10 Mil for 5 years for a top player like Xabi isn't bad business at all.

Maybe it's just me, but 10M doesn't seem like a bad fee considering we will get at least 3-4 years of good performance out of him in theory. He is still one of the top midfielders in the world, world class and all that, which we can be quick to forget.

Barring major injury, I can't see him slowing down until he's 35 or so, and this sort of move would do wonders for squad development, fan morale, and so on. This sort of move would give us a realistic chance to compete for the top four, and is a risk worth taking for me.

People talk about Gary Mac's impact as a player but you have to also remember he was training and talking day in day out to Gerrard. The influence he had on that player usually gets overlooked. He speeded Gerrard's progress, in terms of intelligence and maturity on the pitch, by a couple of years. You could say his influence was still showing itself in 2005 when Gerrard lifted the cup. That's the additional contribution a player like Alonso would give to the club, and to hell with sell-on value, that's priceless.

People talk about Gary Mac's impact as a player but you have to also remember he was training and talking day in day out to Gerrard. The influence he had on that player usually gets overlooked. He speeded Gerrard's progress, in terms of intelligence and maturity on the pitch, by a couple of years. You could say his influence was still showing itself in 2005 when Gerrard lifted the cup. That's the additional contribution a player like Alonso would give to the club, and to hell with sell-on value, that's priceless.
^ is exactly right!

It sounds like quite a few clubs are looking to sign DeRossi, so if we really want this to happen, we would be well advised to move it along quickly. I can see the clubs missing out on DeRossi sending big bids to Real for Xabi as their backup plan, especially Chelsea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom