• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Aquilani *signed 16m*

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote author=Y1 link=topic=35002.msg920893#msg920893 date=1249718133]
Mirror says it is 15m

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/new...Alberto-Aquilani-on-Monday-article105731.html

[/quote]

"And Benitez is convinced he has found the right man to take Liverpool foward, after coming to the conclusion that the partnership between Alonso and Javier Mascherano wasn't quite balanced enough to take his team to the very top.

"He has good passing ability, can work hard in the holding role, but he also has the ability to play a little bit higher up the pitch in a more advanced role, which I think will help this team," the Reds boss explained.

"I think he will bring balance to the midfield because he can bridge the gap in between Mascherano and Steven Gerrard, and maybe that will help the attack a little more in certain games."

So Rafa's saying that Aquilani>Alonso? Hmm....

[quote author=reuque link=topic=35002.msg920925#msg920925 date=1249727616]
[quote author=Y1 link=topic=35002.msg920893#msg920893 date=1249718133]
Mirror says it is 15m

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/new...Alberto-Aquilani-on-Monday-article105731.html

[/quote]

"And Benitez is convinced he has found the right man to take Liverpool foward, after coming to the conclusion that the partnership between Alonso and Javier Mascherano wasn't quite balanced enough to take his team to the very top.

"He has good passing ability, can work hard in the holding role, but he also has the ability to play a little bit higher up the pitch in a more advanced role, which I think will help this team," the Reds boss explained.

"I think he will bring balance to the midfield because he can bridge the gap in between Mascherano and Steven Gerrard, and maybe that will help the attack a little more in certain games."

[/quote]

Not necessarily so, but the partnership of Mascher and Xabi always lacked being a big goal threat otherwise it would have been near enough to perfect.

I guess this Aquilani lad should offer more in that regards as he does seem have the mobility to get into the box. He definitely has a hard enough shot too:-

http://tnp.sg/sports/story/0,4136,209887,00.html

THE NAME Alberto Aquilani may not ring a bell with some football fans here.

But it's etched forever in the memory of a Dutch teenager.

Denzel Westenberg was just 13, and like this reporter, a spectator at the Gelredome when Italy played England in the 2007 Euro Under-21 Championships in Arnhem, Holland.

There was an air of expectation as Aquilani shaped up to take a free-kick inside England's half.

Alas, the shot went off-target, but the climax was not far away.

As Westenberg attempted to catch the ball heading towards him, the ferocity of the shot broke his wrist.

The thrilling game eventually ended 2-2, courtesy of a second-half equaliser by Aquilani, the man of the match for more reasons than one.

Afterwards, a sheepish Aquilani invited Westenberg to one of Italy's training sessions and handed him a jersey, complete with the signatures of the Italian players.

The incident not only highlighted the power Aquilani usually packs behind his long-range shots, but also the unpredictable nature of what football brings.

[quote author=reuque link=topic=35002.msg920925#msg920925 date=1249727616]

[/quote]

He's not saying that at all. He's saying that he thinks Aquilani in the side over Alonso will bring more balance to the side. He could well be right.

We had a similar situation under Ged, when we played Stevie in the centre we were very unbalanced cos of the rest of the side so sometimes he had to place elsewhere & another CM played in the middle. It's not saying the replacement is better, just brings different qualities to the team & usually a different pace too.

Whether he's right or not, only time will tell, but our fans need to stop this shite immediately. Xabi was a good player, but he's moved on & Aquilani is in the side now. They're not like for like signings & the lad needs to be given a chance, the way some of our fans are talking if he doesnt bed in straight away they'll turn on him.

I think We're going to miss Xabi big time this season, especially in the next 4-8 weeks

[quote author=Hardcastle link=topic=35002.msg920933#msg920933 date=1249728974]
I think We're going to miss Xabi big time this season, especially in the next 4-8 weeks
[/quote]

and aquilani's going to miss most of that period too. we're fucked.

[quote author=peterhague link=topic=35002.msg920940#msg920940 date=1249730441]
[/quote]

[/quote]

I don't think we'll miss him that much, it's certainly not as bad as being made out anyway, did he even play at OT last season when we tonked United? Masher, Lucas and Gerrard is more than good enough cover.

[quote author=mark1975 link=topic=35002.msg920949#msg920949 date=1249732288]
[/quote]

[/quote]

I don't think we'll miss him that much, it's certainly not as bad as being made out anyway, did he even play at OT last season when we tonked United? Masher, Lucas and Gerrard is more than good enough cover.

[/quote]

agreed although I prefer gerrard mascher and yossi in the middle

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

AND SPEARIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIING!

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

yeah i know, i was just messing.

we should just play gerrard and masch there till aquilani's fit, we can then play benayoun or kuyt alongside torres, and the other on the right. it's not ideal but it's still better than almost all teams can offer.

and if we do sign extra cover, so much the better.

Lucas is going to be boss this year , he's bulked up massively over the summer.

[quote author=Rosco link=topic=35002.msg920958#msg920958 date=1249733322]
Lucas is going to be boss this year , he's bulked up massively over the summer.
[/quote]

I don't know whether to take you seriously half the time :D

I think (hope) he'll come good.

I don't think rafa is having a dig at alonso as an individual he's just saying he feels liverpool could be more balanced as partnership in the center of midfield. you have the center backs and then a gap, the certer midfield and then a gap and then the attack, the trick is to close the gaps between the three as much as possible. People used to dive all over me when I talked about hamann, there was nothing wrong with didi as an individual he is a fantastic holding midfielder but the gap between himself and gerrard was too big when gerrard moved to support the attack because didi didn't have the pace to close the gap and wasn't about to play further forwards and get caught out of posisition, you had a similar situation with xabi but was well covered by alonso''s ability to dictate play from a deep position.

hopefully with aqualad the gap will be closed further if he has a better engine to close the gap between mash and himself and the attack and himself.

THE departure of Xabi Alonso may be tough to take but for one man the Spaniard’s exit represents the ideal opportunity to finally prove he’s good enough to make the grade at Anfield.

Lucas has struggled to endear himself to supporters since he arrived from Gremio two years ago.

Limited first-team chances and indifferent form meant many wrote him off as a £6m mistake.

He was booed by his own fans at Anfield last season and a dismissal in the FA Cup defeat at Goodison left him at rock bottom.

But Rafa Benitez never lost faith in the 22-year-old and after finishing last season strongly, Lucas has carried on where he left off.

Liverpool have hardly set the world alight during their pre-season travels.

In half their six matches they’ve failed to find the net and only Singapore and Norwegian whipping boys FC Lyn have been defeated.

However, a feature of their build up has been Lucas’ consistent and commanding midfield performances.

Benitez may have lined up £20m man Alberto Aquilani as Alonso’s replacement but the Italian is some way off full fitness.

The manager need someone to star alongside Javier Mascherano when the Premier League campaign starts at Spurs next Sunday and Lucas is up for the challenge.

“I am always ready and now Xabi is gone I hope there will be more opportunities for me,†he said.

“I am just working hard in training to try to earn a position in the team.

“I’ve played a lot of minutes in pre-season and that has given me more confidence.

“I’m feeling better and hopefully it will be a good season for me.

“I want to play every week but I know Liverpool have a strong squad.

“I just have to wait and respect whatever decisions Rafa makes.â€

Lucas admits the loss of Alonso to Real Madrid after five years at Anfield has affected the squad but he insists the Reds can still mount a title challenge without the classy midfielder.

“Everyone was really sad to see Xabi go because he had been here a long time,†Lucas said.

“Last season he was one of the club’s best players but he has a plan for himself and his career. We have to respect that.

“We will continue to support him because he is a friend of ours. I hope he does well at Real and I’m sure he hopes we continue to do well here.

“We will miss him of course but I think we can cope without him.

“We didn’t play all the games last season with Xabi.

“He’s a really good player but we also have a lot of other quality players here.â€

Lucas, who has scored four goals in 71 appearances for the Reds, believes he has reaped the rewards of his first full pre-season.

When he joined the Reds in 2007 he didn’t arrive until late July because of Gremio’s Copa Libertadores commitments.

And last summer he missed the start of the Premier League campaign due to the Olympic Games in Beijing.

He returned to Anfield with a bronze medal but looked jaded and struggled to impress.

Now he is refreshed and ready to showcase the kind of talent which in 2006 earned him the Bola de Ouro (Golden Ball), which is given to the best player in the Brazilian league.

Lucas was the youngest player to ever receive the award and it was an honour previously won by the likes of Zico, Romario, Kaka and Tevez.

“I have really enjoyed pre-season,†he said.

“It’s the first full one I’ve had since I signed for Liverpool and it has been great for me.

“Now I am feeling much more confident and fitter. I think I am a better player than I was last season.

“I’m looking to impress and we must see what happens.â€

Lucas will probably get the chance at Anfield this afternoon to show supporters just how far he has come when the Reds play Atletico Madrid.

COME ON LUCAS! I always like his interviews. Speaks well.

Nice sentiments Paddy.
I would like to think everyone here wishes him well whenever he pulls on a red shirt, sadly that is not the case, it seems to me a number of people on here wish failure on him, (and a long line of other "failures", including Crouchy) just to massage their own ego's and show they were right all along.
I am not the greatest fan of Aurellio , or indeed Dirk, although I can see what the latter brings to the table, but I always hope they play well, and improve, and will give credit where it is due.
I really hope he proves a lot of us wrong.
New season - blank piece of paper for all the squad, as far as I am concerned.

regards

[quote author=Vlads Quiff link=topic=35002.msg920993#msg920993 date=1249736567]
Nice sentiments Paddy.
I would like to think everyone here wishes him well whenever he pulls on a red shirt, sadly that is not the case, it seems to me a number of people on here wish failure on him, (and a long line of other "failures", including Crouchy) just to massage their own ego's and show they were right all along.
I am not the greatest fan of Aurellio , or indeed Dirk, although I can see what the latter brings to the table, but I always hope they play well, and improve, and will give credit where it is due.
I really hope he proves a lot of us wrong.
New season - blank piece of paper for all the squad, as far as I am concerned.

regards
[/quote]

I agree totally Vlad.

[/quote]

[/quote]

We're not fucked at all. Lucas is capable of doing a job with Mascherano in the centre.

If Torres, Gerrard, Kuyt and Benayoun are all doing their jobs we'll be fine.

I'm much more concerned about who's going to fill in alongside Carragher if Agger & Skrtl are injured.

In lucas's first couple games in a red shirt I actually quite like the look of him. He seemed to do the simple things well, he could pass and seemed to have credible game intelligence.

As times went on, the more i saw of him made me realise that in the fundamental areas you need to be good at, in the centre of the park (tackling to a decent standard, showing presence, positioning) he totally lacked. He would constantly be bullied of the ball, he was wrongly positioned for headers/50/50's/. This seemed to be apparent in nearly every single game he played with us, and was infuriating to watch.

I think he plays best when we're coasting, when there is no pressure from the opponent, all he does is sit there and plays a couple shorter passes, and generally is good at keeping the game moving. The minute we're under the cosh, he struggles CLEARLY. That's my single biggest worry for him, in Spain he would be given the time and space, so maybe that would suit him more.

I'd be amazed if he shows something he hasn't shown us in his time already in a liverpool shirt, like I said, I really hope i'm proved wrong.

aquaman's record doesn't suggest that he'll score more or create more, only that he'll be injured more.

perhaps what we need is to play with 2 strikers in certain games instead of playing with 2 deeper midfielder.

Aquaman-Posters.jpg

[quote author=peterhague link=topic=35002.msg920955#msg920955 date=1249733196]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

yeah i know, i was just messing.

we should just play gerrard and masch there till aquilani's fit, we can then play benayoun or kuyt alongside torres, and the other on the right. it's not ideal but it's still better than almost all teams can offer.

and if we do sign extra cover, so much the better.
[/quote]

I wouldn't do that. It's cuts our goal threat massively. Torres needs Gerrard around him and we can't afford to lose Gerrard's goals either.

[quote author=ankreds link=topic=35002.msg920973#msg920973 date=1249734348]
No he's still going to be shit.
[/quote]

See - I hate this attitude. He seems to have come on a bomb. Best player pre-season and one of our better players again today against a very decent team.

Some people just seem to have it in for him regardless of what he does.

[quote author=ankreds link=topic=35002.msg921028#msg921028 date=1249739514]
In lucas's first couple games in a red shirt I actually quite like the look of him. He seemed to do the simple things well, he could pass and seemed to have credible game intelligence.

As times went on, the more i saw of him made me realise that in the fundamental areas you need to be good at, in the centre of the park (tackling to a decent standard, showing presence, positioning) he totally lacked. He would constantly be bullied of the ball, he was wrongly positioned for headers/50/50's/. This seemed to be apparent in nearly every single game he played with us, and was infuriating to watch.

I think he plays best when we're coasting, when there is no pressure from the opponent, all he does is sit there and plays a couple shorter passes, and generally is good at keeping the game moving. The minute we're under the cosh, he struggles CLEARLY. That's my single biggest worry for him, in Spain he would be given the time and space, so maybe that would suit him more.

I'd be amazed if he shows something he hasn't shown us in his time already in a liverpool shirt, like I said, I really hope i'm proved wrong.
[/quote]

Yeah .. he was totally out of his depth against United at OT wasn't he. Oh wait ...........

[quote author=Frogfish link=topic=35002.msg921194#msg921194 date=1249748751]
Yeah .. he was totally out of his depth against United at OT wasn't he. Oh wait ...........
[/quote]

Like he hasn't been in loads of other games though... give it a rest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom