• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Bye bye Sadio

Status
Not open for further replies.
Barely seems credible that we have wages in the same order of magnitude as City and United.

Yes if you ignore all the well documented under the counter payments City make to their players via third parties and sponsorship fronts then they are only spending £40m a year more than us.

Does anyone recall a news story about any city player being unhappy with their wages/contract in the last 10 or so years?

Just another advantage Guardiola enjoys

Does anyone recall a news story about any city player being unhappy with their wages/contract in the last 10 or so years?

I can't remember why Sane left; but he was probably the most high profile departure for seemingly no reason

I can't remember why Sane left; but he was probably the most high profile departure for seemingly no reason

yea it was a weird one because he seemed like a really good player but didn’t Guardiola barely play him for ageeees after a long injury

fm-no-txsaiyuqx.jpg
I've no doubt that Chelsea and City are hiding payments offshore.

Yeah - but they don’t include birthday cake - Yaya did not like that!!!

Another point to bear in mind here is that the salary figures quoted by Swiss Ramble (which are sourced from the accounts, so they are accurate) are for ALL staff, not just the playing squad. So it's quite revealing to look at the employee numbers as well:
FOOTBALL STAFF
United - 263
City - 245
Chelsea - 129
LFC - 218
Fairly comparable, but the Chelsea position looks a bit odd. May be that they don't count players out on loan, that they regard a lot of their coaches as self-employed or that they out-source a lot of their football support set-up (e.g. catering, maintenance etc).
OTHER STAFF
United - 566
City - 264
Chelsea - 288
LFC - 746
Remarkable how City manage to generate the most, totally legit, commercial income of all four clubs with the lowest number of staff. It's an economic miracle.
BUT, it also means that a far bigger chunk of their total wage bill is football related. So if you're looking at squad / manager costs, there's a good chance that there's an additional difference of £15-20m between City's figures and ours / United's. And that's before anything iffy they may or may not still be doing with their image rights (Der Spiegel published an article based on Football Leaks information which suggested their image rights were paid through a separate company, and that could easily be 10-15% of their total playing wage bill.
Finally, we clearly have more staff than we really need (or else we are doing a lot of things "in-house" that the other clubs have out-sourced. I suspect that every time the club encounters an issue they just throw some new staff at it, rather than spreading the duties of the existing team.

He’s defo off then. I’ll be gutted to see him go, but, it’s possibly best all round if we have a top replacement lined up

Salah to defo leave on a free next year then

Reportedly 35m Euros with 5m in add-ons is being submitted by Bayern and we will likely accept.

If we’re accepting, I hope that means we have another forward in the bag.
I think we'd sell regardless. FSG are unlikely to let both Salah and Mane leave for nothing. At least we can recoup what we paid for Sadio and put it towards a new attacker.

I've no doubt that Chelsea and City are hiding payments offshore.
Yeah I remember the lovely Kante saying he didn't want paying using tax loop holes that Chelsea had suggested to him. He just wanted to be paid the regular way. You know full in that this is the tip of the iceberg.

Yeah I remember the lovely Kante saying he didn't want paying using tax loop holes that Chelsea had suggested to him. He just wanted to be paid the regular way. You know full in that this is the tip of the iceberg.
I think that was probably about image rights.
There was a suggestion that City had done some "off balance sheet" planning on image rights to move the costs out of the Club's accounts, but to my knowledge everyone else puts them through their own books and they would normally go through wages. The bit Kante was likely unhappy about was that it is seen as tax avoidance (legal but ethically questionable), as opposed to evasion (illegal). Although obviously that depends on the views of the tax authorities - the Spanish tax authorities seem to view it as evasion, but the UK authorities don't.
I don't think Chelsea would be understating their wages on that count (although using image rights would save them a bit of cash as they are not subject to national insurance (social security) and similar levies).
What Chelsea MIGHT have done is net loan fees off their wage bill, rather than disclosing gross wages paid and then showing loan fees separately within income. There's an argument for either treatment in the accounts and that isn't especially controversial. My personal view is that, to the extent the loan fee offsets wages, it ought to be netted off with any excess shown as income. Not sure what we do, but obviously with the number of players Chelsea have out on loan at any point in time that could make a big difference to their overall wage bill.
As a separate point, I'm happy to do a nerdy explanation of how image rights work if anyone wants it - let me know.

I think that was probably about image rights.
There was a suggestion that City had done some "off balance sheet" planning on image rights to move the costs out of the Club's accounts, but to my knowledge everyone else puts them through their own books and they would normally go through wages. The bit Kante was likely unhappy about was that it is seen as tax avoidance (legal but ethically questionable), as opposed to evasion (illegal). Although obviously that depends on the views of the tax authorities - the Spanish tax authorities seem to view it as evasion, but the UK authorities don't.
I don't think Chelsea would be understating their wages on that count (although using image rights would save them a bit of cash as they are not subject to national insurance (social security) and similar levies).
What Chelsea MIGHT have done is net loan fees off their wage bill, rather than disclosing gross wages paid and then showing loan fees separately within income. There's an argument for either treatment in the accounts and that isn't especially controversial. My personal view is that, to the extent the loan fee offsets wages, it ought to be netted off with any excess shown as income. Not sure what we do, but obviously with the number of players Chelsea have out on loan at any point in time that could make a big difference to their overall wage bill.
As a separate point, I'm happy to do a nerdy explanation of how image rights work if anyone wants it - let me know.

Yes please re. Image rights.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom