• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

DeAss

Diaz and Nunez are excellent rhythm guitarists and background vocalists when we had the lead guitarist and singer of Mane,Salah. Whether they have the talent, and mentality to grab the mike and carry this band forward when Salah departs is an open question. At this point, I am a bit unsure and tend towards no.

Irrespective of what other clubs pay, given the way we do business, if we pay more than 50 million plus on attacking players, we need them to step up in a year or two and take center stage.

Diaz was on his way to becoming a fantastic replacement for Mane. His signing was the catalyst for the second half of the season when we were challenging for the quad. You’ve forgotten how good he was then.

Without that acceleration post injury though, he needs to adapt his game and release the ball quicker since he can’t leave defenders in his wake anymore

It’s a real shame but he’s still one of our better technicians and better finishers, there’s some hope he could be decent afterwards.

Diaz was on his way to becoming a fantastic replacement for Mane. His signing was the catalyst for the second half of the season when we were challenging for the quad. You’ve forgotten how good he was then.

Without that acceleration post injury though, he needs to adapt his game and release the ball quicker since he can’t leave defenders in his wake anymore

It’s a real shame but he’s still one of our better technicians and better finishers, there’s some hope he could be decent afterwards.
The club isn't a charity, and in the summer if he hasn't picked up form, he needs to go!

Yeah, it’s tough watching a player playing like he still has pace. It’s not unlike watching Mane on the wing in his final season for us.
I think there were other issues than just that (Salah).
A better example would be Sturridge.

Sturridge is good example too, but Mane was woeful on the wing without his pace. He had a new lease of life playing in the middle though
Do you see Diaz doing better through the middle? He averaging one goal every 271m easily the worst of all out strikers. he has the worst GAs of any of our FWs. Are we prepared to have a South American Shane Long (works hard, scores an occasional goal but F all after that)?

Last edited:
Do you see Diaz doing better through the middle? He averaging one goal every 271m easily the worst of all out strikers. he has the worst GAs of any of our FWs. Are we prepared to have a South American Shane Long (works hard, scores an occasional goal but F all after that)?

Maybe? He’s a more reliable finisher than Nunez and a better footballer too.

It really depends on if he can adapt.

I think our left side is also struggling due to our lack of right hand width. Remember those Trent cross field balls from right to left. We don’t stretch teams across the pitch which means less space for actual wingers.

I’d actually like to see Diaz tried on the right whilst Mo is out, and use his right foot for more orthodox crossing at the byline.

I’d actually like to see Diaz tried on the right whilst Mo is out, and use his right foot for more orthodox crossing at the byline.

Yeah we saw that once - last season away at Arsenal before he got taken off, he setup the goal for Nunez with a cross from the right.

GCWRRQbXIAAdeDt

1 assist in 33 games - that’s dreadful for a winger.

Not disagreeing with any of that. But hunting with a pack of alphas like Mane and Salah is different compared to leading the hunting party. He was one of the catalysts for the quad challenge, no doubt about it. But can he take up the mantle and lead a charge, the jury is out on that. His time here has been disrupted due to injuries and other unfortunate incidents. But by the end of this season, he needs to unequivocally own a position on the pitch given the money we paid.

To be fair - between that assist and now he has scored a few goals right ?

8 across all games.
Wasn’t that convincing pre injury either, I think he looks more like a player who has been worked and needs to work being much quicker with the ball, has always held onto it far too long for one.

I remeber when we bought him that he had played a a crazy manoutn of games and many remarked at his endurance with regard to this. Maybe its finally caught him and needs his games managing somewhat. When he hjoined he was doing a Peak Mane impression for a while pressing and harrasing like a madman. But Mane had crazy genetics and conditioning that allowed him to do that game after game.

Diaz’s problem is that he is a terrible passer of the ball made worse by his decision making. His assist record is damning. This is not new. It has always been the case.

I like the guy, but I would sell in a heartbeat. He consistently slows down our game and gives the ball away (and scores the occasional goal).

There are better players at the same value.

8 across all games.
Wasn’t that convincing pre injury either, I think he looks more like a player who has been worked and needs to work being much quicker with the ball, has always held onto it far too long for one.
Yep, never understood the hype, even when he just arrived. We were running on fumes by the end of that quad season. Due to the hype, I was hoping he will do something for us but nope, he started all 3 finals and we didn't score a single goal.

Since then I have been hopeful he will come good but he's been mediocre at best. I will sell in a heartbeat.

Rumours of 50m for him from the Saudis and we were looking at Kudus. Pity it didn't materialize, it would have been a great transfer.

We’d not have a player left if we went by forum opinion. Glad the coaching staff have been working him back into form. He definitely looked like the player we initially saw pre-injury the other day. Hope he keeps improving because we really need a threat down the wing while Mo is gone.

Lucho's best game of the season, by some distance. Let's hope the upturn in form continues.

Back
Top Bottom